01-05-12 01:56 PM
37 12
tools
    Well first, thanks for the personnal attack there.

Second, there is a reason that "forced" is in quotations.

What exactly do you mean that you're on the right track? I was stating that companies create devices/software/apps/OS/etc. to make you choose their product over another one, what exactly is so confusing about that.

As for Skype not supporting the Playbook, there is probably several reasons, but the top two reasons would have to be that 1.) Microsoft and/or RIM have not made an agreement and 2.) Microsoft has decided to not support it yet becuase there is not enough users yet.

(And this could all be a moot argument anyway as we don't know what will come with OS2, perhaps we finally get Netflix, Skype, etc.)
    Last edited by scott.slater; 01-04-12 at 11:58 PM.
    01-04-12 11:52 PM
    Way for you to take a comment and warp what he meant. What he is saying is that for you to use iTunes purchases, Facetime, etc. you are forced to commit to Apple devices. No, Apple doesn't "force" you to get in line to purchase the next piece of over priced iCrap, but if you want to use Facetime with another user, you are forced to purchase iCrap.

(And I call it iCrap because their equipment is over priced for what it offers and is very cheaply constructed. Drop any iDevice and see how well it can take that fall.)
    Pointless debate. People choose what they choose. As for warping comments, why not read what I actually posted and then comment about warping.
    01-05-12 12:13 AM

(And this could all be a moot argument anyway as we don't know what will come with OS2, perhaps we finally get Netflix, Skype, etc.)
    "Perhaps we finally get Netflix, Skype."

"Finally" might be taken to imply that you believe these two products would/could actually add value to the platform.

So I'm assuming that's not what you actually meant.

I don't want to warp anyone's statements again. So I'm just asking for a little clarity.
    01-05-12 12:29 AM
    "Perhaps we finally get Netflix, Skype."

"Finally" might be taken to imply that you believe these two products would/could actually add value to the platform.

So I'm assuming that's not what you actually meant.

I don't want to warp anyone's statements again. So I'm just asking for a little clarity.
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Just because these two products have no value nor impact my opinion on my Playbook doesn't mean that I don't want them added. Even if getting these products adds only another 100,000 users it would totally be worth it.

I'm not ignorant to the fact that these products are important to success if that is what you are getting at.

Like I said, these products have no value to me in a personal sense, but they have value to me in the sense that I want as much content/support for the Playbook (which in turn effects their future devices as well).

I personnaly would just to see support for Silverlight (or maybe just go ahead and have Microsoft provide IE for us, lol).

Slightly off topic, out of curiousity, would a QNX powered device be able to run a Windows emulator similar how they can for Android? If so, if I was RIM I would be focusing on that capability because that would bake the Playbook the most powerful handheld device in the world. I would imagine it would just take a licensing agreement (much like how Microsoft works with Dell, Asus, HP, etc.) to make this work.
    01-05-12 12:41 AM
    Can someone answer the OP's question: How much money would it take for Skype to develop an app for playbook?

Or at least try to...?
    cl8baller likes this.
    01-05-12 12:47 AM
    Wow sorry scott - I forgot what happens when you say apple in here. I was thinking about the download/buy everything through itunes model. And buy new hardware every year to keep up kinda stuff - instead of software upgrades. Closed software platform, stuff like that. No biggie - but apple followers are very sensitive. And no I don't want to debate about it - playbook forum, don't care. Made my choice .
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-05-12 at 02:04 AM.
    01-05-12 01:51 AM
    My guess is BBM will include Video chat in QNX (someday soon, maybe next summer), they wouldnt want skype toi steal that market now would they. RIM blockade
    That would be real cool and innovative...so it probably isn't going to happen for a while with the speed rim moves. sigh....the things I put up with rim.
    01-05-12 01:56 AM
    Can someone answer the OP's question: How much money would it take for Skype to develop an app for playbook?

Or at least try to...?
    They aren't a contract development shop. I would think they'll make a client if and when they think there are enough potential users.

It's not just development cost they would be concerned with, the support cost for an app like that is much higher over time.
    01-05-12 02:17 AM
    the answer to the question is simple.

you don't pay skype for the app. you pay verizon to break their exclusive deal to have skype on blackberry.

i mentioned it in another thread. it's not rim. it's not microsoft. it's verizon.
    1oo1 likes this.
    01-05-12 02:20 AM
    They aren't a contract development shop. I would think they'll make a client if and when they think there are enough potential users.

It's not just development cost they would be concerned with, the support cost for an app like that is much higher over time.
    Thank you very much. Can't believe it took us 3 pages to get a pertinent response.

the answer to the question is simple.

you don't pay skype for the app. you pay verizon to break their exclusive deal to have skype on blackberry.

i mentioned it in another thread. it's not rim. it's not microsoft. it's verizon.
    Hmmm I didn't know that deal Verizon has includes tablets as well... I don't think paying Verizon is applicable really since 3 Mobile in the UK offers Skype for BlackBerry handsets
    Last edited by bounce007; 01-05-12 at 02:47 AM.
    01-05-12 02:43 AM

Or at least try to...?
    How would we know? LOL.

It's gonna take market share, IMHO.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    01-05-12 08:06 AM
    Im all for Skype to be ported to the Playbook. I have it on my ipad2 no problem so want it for the Playbook so calls can be made between them.

On the Skype community there are a few of us calling out to Skype, feel free to go and add your request:

Playbook, please - Skype Support Network
    01-05-12 01:56 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD