Could we some how persuade them with money to make one?
    01-04-12 08:15 AM
    That may be sitting on a computer somewhere, just waiting for the OS2 update to be released.
    01-04-12 08:22 AM
    Would they not be charging for the app or the service?
    Once playbook takes off they would be fools not to support it.

All I know is that the design team that I collaborate with has given up on it ... too much trouble setting up. Bandwidth issues getting everyone connected, muting mics so everyone can hear without echoes and feedback....takes a half hour of the meeting time to get setup and everyone connected, laggy freezing video...

Weve just gone back to a good old fashioned conference call in service. Works right away and works great.

For families skype is worth while, but what would work better is to just buy everyone playbooks and use video chat....
    skype is wayyyy overrated.
    AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    01-04-12 08:28 AM
    skype is wayyyy overrated.
    True but international calling is expensive! and if the app supported a blue tooth headset then maybe the audio would be better?
    01-04-12 08:34 AM
    My guess is BBM will include Video chat in QNX (someday soon, maybe next summer), they wouldnt want skype toi steal that market now would they. RIM blockade
    01-04-12 08:36 AM
    Isn't Skype owned by Microsoft now? Hoping it comes sooner than later.
    01-04-12 06:12 PM
    You have to keep reminding yourself this is the first business tablet produced and RIMs biggest asset has always been its security. Ask any IT profesional and they will tell you programs like skype are a huge vulnerability to any system as it open up so many ports.

That and they have there own video chat which will force yo to buy more playbooks
    01-04-12 06:39 PM
    How should that help if nearly nobody has BBM.... We or the playbook needs Skype111
    01-04-12 06:47 PM
    You have to keep reminding yourself this is the first business tablet produced and RIMs biggest asset has always been its security. Ask any IT profesional and they will tell you programs like skype are a huge vulnerability to any system as it open up so many ports.

That and they have there own video chat which will force yo to buy more playbooks
    You shouldn't have to force folks to buy your products. You'd get more business if people eagerly run out to grab your product the day it launches.

This kind of thinking is what's at the heart of R.I.M problems now. Just my opinion though.
    01-04-12 07:00 PM
    My guess is BBM will include Video chat in QNX (someday soon, maybe next summer), they wouldnt want skype toi steal that market now would they. RIM blockade
    Unless R.I.M. can generate revenue from a proprietary video chat service, then it would do them well to open it up and let the end user decide what service they use.

People like choices. 93% of the U.S. cell phone market does not use a BB phone. Add things that invite them into the BB world one device at a time, and maybe that number will change.
    01-04-12 07:06 PM
    Ever wonder if it is more about proprietary difficulties rather than technical? I agree it would be nice if the million or so PBs out there could video with the countless millions of other devices out there. Skype is not even recognized in the PBs word list, comes up as an error but can't seem to fix it.

Eventually Skype and RIM will have to come to agreement.
    01-04-12 07:11 PM
    Skype is not even recognized in the PBs word list, comes up as an error but can't seem to fix it.

Eventually Skype and RIM will have to come to agreement.
    This kind of vision won't help them in the U.S. markets.
    01-04-12 08:34 PM
    You shouldn't have to force folks to buy your products. You'd get more business if people eagerly run out to grab your product the day it launches.

This kind of thinking is what's at the heart of R.I.M problems now. Just my opinion though.
    Why not?
    That business model seems to work well for Apple...
    01-04-12 09:05 PM
    True but international calling is expensive! and if the app supported a blue tooth headset then maybe the audio would be better?
    True but I think there are other solutions for international calling if it's just calling that you want. Video you may have a point - I can see the need for families and such - just saying it doesn't work well for business conferences with multiple callers.

Yes headphones help, in fact are necessary, but still it's a nightmare to setup for conf calls - especially since it depends on multiple computers functioning properly, rather than than just multiple telephones, which always function properly.

Bluetooth headphones would add yet another layer of distortion and noise, depending on quality, making the problem even worse. Wired headsets generally not bad, but mine for example have an intermittent cable that drives me crazy.... just give me a freekin telephone.

I'm talking about with just desktops - not even a tablet which could be worse.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-04-12 at 09:14 PM.
    01-04-12 09:10 PM
    skype is overrated and is also owned by ms.

Got to go to MS with a bus plan to show how it will benefit them... Tried skype and video chat.. Skype has alot of lag when i used it but pb video chat was alot smoother. Send a pb to your parents/grandparents... Even they would know how to push a button to call you ( this is from experience, my mom has no clue what to do with a computer)
    01-04-12 09:17 PM
    Why not?
    Good point. Forcing people to buy products is a trend. Just a few minutes ago my local grocery store "forced" me to buy groceries! Sure, I approached the store and picked what I needed, but those jerks made me pay for everything! And just yesterday my commuter train forced me to buy a ticket so I could ride this month. Jerks.
    Last edited by Economist101; 01-04-12 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Apple "forced" me to correct typos
    01-04-12 09:21 PM
    Why not?
    You know you're right. Apple aggressively forces folks to stand in line for hours to purchase their products.

Talk about revisionist history.
    01-04-12 09:33 PM
    You know you're right. Apple aggressively forces folks to stand in line for hours to purchase their products.

Talk about revisionist history.
    Way for you to take a comment and warp what he meant. What he is saying is that for you to use iTunes purchases, Facetime, etc. you are forced to commit to Apple devices. No, Apple doesn't "force" you to get in line to purchase the next piece of over priced iCrap, but if you want to use Facetime with another user, you are forced to purchase iCrap.

(And I call it iCrap because their equipment is over priced for what it offers and is very cheaply constructed. Drop any iDevice and see how well it can take that fall.)
    01-04-12 09:49 PM
    Way for you to take a comment and warp what he meant. What he is saying is that for you to use iTunes purchases, Facetime, etc. you are forced to commit to Apple devices.
    By that logic, in order to use BBM, users are "forced" to buy BlackBerrys.

Way for you to take a comment and warp what he meant. What he is saying is that for you to use iTunes purchases, Facetime, etc. you are forced to commit to Apple devices. No, Apple doesn't "force" you to get in line to purchase the next piece of over priced iCrap, but if you want to use Facetime with another user, you are forced to purchase iCrap.
    This would be a better argument if every Apple device that supports FaceTime didn't also support Skype (Macs, iOS, etc). And again, this is like saying that RIM "forces" you to buy a BlackBerry in order to BBM with others. But feel free to find another example that isn't so easily reversed.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-04-12 10:07 PM
    make a petition?
    01-04-12 10:23 PM
    That is exactly what RIM does with BBM.

What would the point be of these companies to make everything they create (Facetime, BBM, etc.) on any device you wanted? They have to provide something unique so that you are "forced" to purchase their product for those features.

Take BlackBerry phones, I choose them because I prefer their email system, the way they intergrate social networking into their phone, etc.

Your argument makes no sense.
    01-04-12 10:23 PM

What would the point be of these companies to make everything they create (Facetime, BBM, etc.) on any device you wanted? They have to provide something unique so that you are "forced" to purchase their product for those features.

Take BlackBerry phones, I choose them because I prefer their email system, the way they intergrate social networking into their phone, etc.

I believe his counterpoint (in the context of this thread) is that Apple has Skype, arguably the most used video chat software. That increases Apple's reach.

Saying that Apple forces people into proprietary software is moot, since they have access to Skype.
    01-04-12 10:34 PM
    Actually no, it doesn't. RIM doesn't "force" anyone to do anything.

The problem is that you picked a feature that is easily reproduced in a manner that creates no such "force." FaceTime was a poor choice since its functionality is easily duplicated with other services available on the same product.

Additionally, the use of the word "force" is inappropriate; diabetics are "forced" to buy insulin to control their sugar levels. People without thyroid glands are "forced" to take medication. People are not "forced" to buy smartphones.

No offense, but after reading your other posts, I'm glad mine don't make sense to you. It means I'm on the right track.
    01-04-12 10:38 PM
    Everyone saying skype is overrated, its the best cross platform out there video chatting available. Not everybody I want to chat with has a playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-12 10:39 PM
    Everyone saying skype is overrated, its the best cross platform out there video chatting available. Not everybody I want to chat with has a playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ignore that... only folks who don't have access to it say that. I remember when folks on Android used to say it too. Netflix was overrated till it became available as well.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-04-12 10:42 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD