View Poll Results: How many PlayBook apps are you expecting at launch?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up to 500

6 10.91%
  • Up to 1,000

6 10.91%
  • Up to 2,000

12 21.82%
  • Up to 4,000

12 21.82%
  • Above 4,000

19 34.55%
    It's a simple question. At launch, considering this is a new platform and developers haven't seen any hardware, how many apps do you think is conservatively reasonable for the launch of the PlayBook?

Note: Blackberry Classic phone apps and Android Apps cannot be ported or run before launch on April 19th, 2011 so please don't include these in your estimates.
    Last edited by snuci; 04-12-11 at 06:29 PM.
    04-12-11 06:24 PM
    well considering so many are porting them from android as well if they have a 1000 or more... life is good.
    and remember that is just for launch day, im sure it will grow 10 fold within the first month
    04-12-11 06:26 PM
    It depends on how good they are. We don't need tons of calculators and other stuff. I'd be fine if there were a few good games and stuff to maybe play ABC shows (if it doesn't use Flash), a Netflix app (though that's probably coming after launch), and maybe even developer-created email, contacts, and calendar apps. (and messaging apps) If there are too many at once, it could be overwhelming, especially with games that you would want to play.
    04-12-11 06:26 PM
    I think it would be nice to have the popular apps from large companies such as Skype, Twitter, Netflix, Facebook, Kindle, VLC etc.
    04-12-11 06:29 PM
    im sure they have a couple thousand already
    04-12-11 06:33 PM
    The iPad launched with nearly 2,000 tablet specific apps, but it also had access to iphone/ipod touch appbase since they could be stretched and used on the tablet. I think it should be quality over quantity. Though it's all about the big numbers nowadays...
    04-12-11 06:41 PM
    The reality, users will only have a few apps that they need and a few more that they really want. 500 apps should give a good sampling. As long as they're not 450 fart apps.
    04-12-11 06:45 PM
    The iPad launched with nearly 2,000 tablet specific apps, ... it should be quality over quantity.
    True story.
    Now, one hundred bezillion iPad apps! Only one thousand are worthwhile ...

I never paid for a BB phone app and I will only buy a few for PB's unless they have real value for me.
    04-12-11 06:59 PM
    Where's the option of "it doesn't matter as long as they have a mind blowing good devise it can stand on it's own while developers make quality apps"?
    04-12-11 07:07 PM
    Where's the option of "it doesn't matter as long as they have a mind blowing good devise it can stand on it's own while developers make quality apps"?
    It does matter. Without apps, no functionality/productivity. What's the point of killer hardware without something to do with it?
    howarmat likes this.
    04-12-11 07:30 PM
    The Playbook will launch with a very good browser, support for the most popular Microsoft Office documents, an excellent e-reader, BB Messenger, an impressive media player, and a couple of great games. Native e-mail, calendaring and contacts support should arrive fairly soon after launch. That meets the vast majority of my app needs already. If RIM will enable USB OTG and somebody will create a decent basic photo editing app, and I can get a notepad / sketching app and a good GPS navigation app, the Playbook will meet all of my basic mobile computing needs. Sure, I have plenty of wants, but the Playbook seems like it will be well on the way to meeting my actual needs right out of the box.
    04-12-11 07:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD