Just curious if there is a way to know how many new apps have been developed since the PB went on the crazy sale prices.

I believe that part of that strategy was to get more units into the hands of people so more apps would be developed. I believe I am seeing more new apps.. but maybe I am just mistaken.. are there stats available anywhere?
    12-14-11 07:37 AM
    It takes far more time than has passed since people started receiving their sale-priced PlayBooks for most developers to create decent apps.

There are a small handful of novelty apps that can be pumped out in anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Most of those have been done to death ("fart" apps, sound boards, trivial painting programs, simple puzzles).

Serious apps take time, and you shouldn't expect most of the ones that might be tied to this big promotion to see the light of day before some time next year, probably around when the 2.0 release is ready.

In fact, many developers are basically still being held back by things like the fact that the Native SDK doesn't have any UI framework yet (the "Cascades" stuff from TAT, which isn't even out in an external beta form). We can work on plumbing, and UI design, but not the UI code. I've got a half dozen apps in various stages which I don't expect to be ready to release until late February at the earliest, and that's assuming RIM gets the Cascades stuff out in beta by years-end as they said they would at DevCon.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-14-11 09:15 AM
    It takes far more time than has passed since people started receiving their sale-priced PlayBooks for most developers to create decent apps.

There are a small handful of novelty apps that can be pumped out in anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Most of those have been done to death ("fart" apps, sound boards, trivial painting programs, simple puzzles).

Serious apps take time, and you shouldn't expect most of the ones that might be tied to this big promotion to see the light of day before some time next year, probably around when the 2.0 release is ready.

In fact, many developers are basically still being held back by things like the fact that the Native SDK doesn't have any UI framework yet (the "Cascades" stuff from TAT, which isn't even out in an external beta form). We can work on plumbing, and UI design, but not the UI code. I've got a half dozen apps in various stages which I don't expect to be ready to release until late February at the earliest, and that's assuming RIM gets the Cascades stuff out in beta by years-end as they said they would at DevCon.
    I would add that many serious developers are going to continue sitting on the sidelines until the rubber meets the road in February. If RIM's various strategies do not produce the desired effect - many thousands of new OS2 users - then they will not risk wasting time and effort even starting to write new apps for a market that is not large enough to support their financial aspirations. So the reality is that the anticipated spike in new apps may in fact follow by some months, the release of OS2 and, even then, only if the PB takes off in a big way come February.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 12-14-11 at 10:53 AM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-14-11 10:03 AM
    Im sure a bunch of PB apps are being developed everyday now, but its so hard to see because when you look at the newest apps in the appstore, all you will see are ebooks. Why dont they make a different section for books?
    12-14-11 01:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD