UPDATED BELOW: Looks like the OS and apps probably take up about 6GB.

Eventually - at some point - this thing will finally be released and we will all be staring at an order screen (or retail shelf) faced with the 16/32/64 choice. One very important factor in making that decision is how much of that is already taken.

Does anybody know how big the OS is? What about all the apps they keep saying will be pre-loaded? I haven't seen this on any videos, has anybody else?

The best I have seen is that the recent media sync video shows that the guy has 10.5GB of 16GB free - but we really don't know how much media he has on his unit (but is does seem to be a very recent build - 1.0.1 bundle 1225) or if he has all of the pre-loaded software (probably).

See BlackBerry PlayBook Media Sync Caught On Video - BerryReview at 2:00.

UPDATE: Actually, if you look at 3:12 of the same video, it seems he only has 15 songs on his PB. At 3:59 we see he has 30 photos. At 4:12 we see he has 5 videos - they seem to be of the smallish product demo variety - not actual movies. No idea how loaded he is with apps. Nevertheless, it looks like there is a good chance only about 10gb of the 16gb will be left for users out of the box.
    Last edited by rbenjamin; 03-16-11 at 11:38 AM.
    03-16-11 11:24 AM
    Good catch didn't pay attention to how much the os uses but if you watch the video there are pre-loaded videos, music and pictures on his playbook already. I am sure its a unit the individual uses himself and has loaded things on to it, but would def be nice to know how much space is available after the os so we can really know if we need the 16 32 or 64.
    03-16-11 11:28 AM
    I thought I read here that NFS was 1gig or so.
    03-16-11 11:30 AM
    I thought I read here that NFS was 1gig or so.
    wow thats pretty big must have a lot of game content then. I wonder if we will be able to reload it somehow if we remove it.
    03-16-11 11:35 AM
    uhh those 5 videos are on his laptop, not the PB
    03-16-11 11:38 AM
    yea ur correct i was looking at a different vid that had more pre loaded music. 6gb is a lot for the os and pre loaded apps i wonder if it is coming with a lot of apps preloaded that we just wont need. Def worth checking a live store model before buying the 16gb might be better to move a step up (if some apps are going to be fairly large like NFS then will probably need atleast 32gb). I don't see an app for logmein being more that 50mb but maybe docstogo or whatever the pb alternative is might be larger (i am sure its pre loaded tho).
    03-16-11 11:57 AM
    i swear i read somewhere that OS updates were around 1gb.. i doubt the core apps are 5gb.
    03-16-11 12:00 PM
    Don't hold me to that NFS file size but I think that's what I read here. I asked the question a month or so ago about how big did any one think the OS was and app size
    03-16-11 12:05 PM
    i swear i read somewhere that OS updates were around 1gb.. i doubt the core apps are 5gb.
    That would def sound a lot more reasonable. But someone mentioned NFS being 1gb. Do you think that could've been the core os they confused it with? Anyone know how much space the ipad os or android os takes up? Might b in the same ballpark just a guess might b completely wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-11 12:07 PM
    I think when I downloaded iOS 4.2.1 to my iphone it was a tad over 600mb

ETA: Just checked the file was 624MB(That's the file, not how much room it took when installed)
    03-16-11 12:13 PM
    Especially if they want to eventually put QNX on blackberries they will have to make sure its not extremely large so i think Barrist is probably a bit closer to the actual os size around 1gb that would make more sense, theres got to be other types of data on his playbook (hopefully).
    03-16-11 12:16 PM
    dont forget about drive formatting, so formatting a 16Gb drive will leave you with a useable 14.8Gb before you add the OS or anything else
    03-16-11 01:02 PM
    Yikes that is a ton of room taken.

Expect any decent game to take 500+ MB of space. You will chew thru 16gb fast. One reason I wanted a microsd slot so I can store items not accessed all the time on there.
    03-16-11 01:09 PM
    dont forget about drive formatting, so formatting a 16Gb drive will leave you with a useable 14.8Gb before you add the OS or anything else
    Yeah that's right because my 16GB shows up as 14GB. I'm guessing the OS installed is around 800mb
    03-16-11 01:14 PM
    I think NFS is just over 1GB and I am assuming (I know very bad) that quake if pre installed to its full version would be the same. 7 digital, kobo, and other type apps should well under 500mb. But you also have to consider all of the HD videos, and pic that are on there are all going to eat up some space. That's why I am getting the 64GB version.

03-16-11 01:32 PM
    that's not quite accurate.

formatting a drive does not take up any capacity at all. what you're referring to is the binary to decimal conversion.

if the BlackBerry QNX OS displays the capacity in binary, then you will see this difference you're referring to where 14.8GB actually equals 16GB.

if it displays the capacity in decimal, then 16GB = 16GB.
    03-16-11 01:49 PM
    You are incorrect sir. Formatting a drive DOES take up space. When you format the drive it has to have space to catalog the addresses of the info so it knows where it's at. So it will take up some space. Depending on the type of file format and the size of the memory. The other part holds true. Because 1 GB in marketing is 1000MB. 1 MB is 1000 KB and so on and so on. But in computer binary it's actually 1024MB is 1GB. and on down the chain.
    03-16-11 08:25 PM
    You are incorrect sir. Formatting a drive DOES take up space. When you format the drive it has to have space to catalog the addresses of the info so it knows where it's at. So it will take up some space. Depending on the type of file format and the size of the memory. The other part holds true. Because 1 GB in marketing is 1000MB. 1 MB is 1000 KB and so on and so on. But in computer binary it's actually 1024MB is 1GB. and on down the chain.
    while that may be true, the amount of capacity used to catalog header information is negligible, and is no where near the 1.2GB being claimed.

i work for the world's largest hard drive manufacturer. i know a little bit about drives and formatting.
    03-16-11 08:47 PM
    Yikes that is a ton of room taken.

Expect any decent game to take 500+ MB of space. You will chew thru 16gb fast. One reason I wanted a microsd slot so I can store items not accessed all the time on there.
    I agree, memory card slot would have been nice but because their lack of , I had planned to get the 64gb. I hope CRACKBERRY sends me the 64gb for my winning prize , but I will be happy with anyone of the versions
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-16-11 at 09:42 PM.
    03-16-11 09:34 PM
    I agree, memory card slot would have been nice but because their lack of , I had planned to get the 64gb. I hope CRACKBERRY sends me the 64gb for my winning prize
    I'd offer to pay the extra $200 to upgrade it from 16GB
    03-16-11 09:39 PM
    I'd offer to pay the extra $200 to upgrade it from 16GB
    If I'm given that option ...with out a doubt I would pay the extra $$$
    03-16-11 09:45 PM
    while that may be true, the amount of capacity used to catalog header information is negligible, and is no where near the 1.2GB being claimed.

i work for the world's largest hard drive manufacturer. i know a little bit about drives and formatting.
    grab a 16Gb sandisk card, formatted to FAT-32 standards and you`ll see its 14.8Gb. this is both the standard for current computers and current BlackBerry devices. while we could try to assume they use a totally different system to what they and the rest of the industry currently use it wouldnt make any sense at all
    03-17-11 12:59 AM
    grab a 16Gb sandisk card, formatted to FAT-32 standards and you`ll see its 14.8Gb. this is both the standard for current computers and current BlackBerry devices. while we could try to assume they use a totally different system to what they and the rest of the industry currently use it wouldnt make any sense at all
    you're still referring to binary capacity versus decimal capacity. that doesn't have anything to do with formatting.

with that card in your computer, check the PROPERTIES of it. you'll see that there are 16 billion bytes available which is 16GB. when that number gets translated into binary, it is converted into 14.8GB.

no capacity is being lost to formatting.
    03-17-11 06:26 AM
    This is so confusing

03-17-11 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD