I was just sitting here thinking about my own usage (I realize everyone is different and use their PBs for different things) and came to the conclusion that I personally don't need a lot of apps. I need a good web browser - got that, contacts/email/messaging - got that, a couple of good games to waste some time - got that, the ability to watch some movies if I want to put them on - got that. Out of the box and bridged to my Torch, this thing is pretty much complete. I think I might have the potential to turn into an app hoarder though, especially when they are free. I might have to join an app junkie support group.
    03-24-12 09:26 PM
    one miiiiilllllliiiiooonnn. (using my best dr evil voice)

actually what I really need is just seamless data/apps from my phone and pb.

I wish conqu would get an app for my torch. then I would be in heaven.
    03-24-12 09:30 PM
    I'm satisfied right now, with any new games and apps that get released going forward is a bonus for me
    03-24-12 09:34 PM
    I just need 2 more. Netflix and Skype.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    03-24-12 11:23 PM
    Now that Zinio is available and a real office program, there is only one other app that I need: Tune In Radio. Sadly, I doubt that that will ever happen.
    03-24-12 11:26 PM
    hIt's not a "number" that's important. It's options/variety. I have a lot of apps on my phone and on my PlayBook. With the exception of Skype, I have the apps I "need".

However, and this is a big however, my in-laws were here this week and the kids got glued to apps like "cupcake maker", "amazing matchups", and "talking tom" on their iPad. I certainly don't need these apps, but the kids a constantly asking me why they can't play the "games" on my phone.

The bottom line is you can get 50 people saying they have 50 apps that they need, but those 50 apps may be different for each of them. Currently, we don't have the "variety" that we need - specifically specialized apps (medical, photographic, music, children's, etc) - that others (iOS/Android) have.
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    03-24-12 11:31 PM
    I suppose technically I need 0 (including the native apps) as the PB is a want for me.

But I any application thay fits mt want list I buy amd install. If those are counted as needs, I would say the 250 odds apps I have installed are all needs. I use most of them daily...

03-25-12 01:26 AM
    I also don't need many. The native apps (especially the PIM apps) are great. Anyway, here is what will make the PB complete for me:
    -An alternative browser (e.g. native Dolphin) with find on page, gestures, voice search, add-on support, bookmark management, and better stability than the stock browser.
    -Google Maps
    -Better Facebook app
    -Not really an app, but I want background services to be supported in PBOS. E.g. for IM+, Facebook, Skype, etc.
    -handyCalc (my favorite calculator)
    -A more feature-reach Office suite (specifically Excel)
    -Native Kindle would be nice.
    KermEd likes this.
    03-25-12 02:24 AM
    Quality over quantity eh
    03-25-12 04:30 AM
    At any one time, not that many, over the course of a few years; a lot.
    03-25-12 05:26 AM
    I have very many minimal app needs but the few that I use it require to do a lot.

I need a file explorer that will zip, access my PC natively without needing to set up anything on my PC, and access cloud storage. I had to turn to sideloading an Android app for that

I need a decent video player that will play almost any format. Currently PB has none, nor are sideloaded ones working for that.

I need a pdf reader that has featured our native one does not. I had to sideload one.

Password vault that has a PC and phone counterpart, yep the appworld had that.

Remote desktop apps were also available natively.

Media streaming from my PC just recently became available natively.

The game scene isn't bad, but could be better.

Overall the PB has met most of my basic app needs but there's still a long way to go to get an appworld that not only meets most requirements, but also provides more than just one developer per choice.
    03-25-12 05:29 AM
    Looking for easy-peasy app to transfer files wirelessly over wifi between PB and computer. Recommendations?
    03-25-12 07:59 AM
    Looking for easy-peasy app to transfer files wirelessly over wifi between PB and computer. Recommendations?
    easiest I've found so far is to use the free App ghost commander which has access to windows shared folders. It's probably not as easy as it sounds like you're looking for but if you're ok with basic smb protocol it works well.
    03-25-12 08:17 AM
    To the OP, I'm not sure anymore. At one time I used to say I don't need that many apps, but as I continue along this path of technical growth, I'm realizing that it's not necessarily the amount, but what can an app do to make my life easier. If a device has 10 apps then the likelihood of me finding an app to do what I need the device to do is slim vs a device that has 100 apps. I love my PlayBook, but I'm getting tired of seeing "this device is not supported at this time". I've been using BlackBerry products approx 5yrs and it just seems as though there "stuck" in the past when they were #1 in the smartphone market.
    03-25-12 08:19 AM
    Reminds me of the time when people asked "what would you need a home computer for?"
    03-25-12 09:12 AM
    Reminds me of the time when people asked "what would you need a home computer for?"
    App does not = hardware device
    03-25-12 10:17 AM
    App does not = hardware device
    You sure have that right. You just need to think about it a bit more
    03-25-12 10:43 AM
    All that I personally need is a good ereader and file program both of which I have, the Skype Netflix ones are subjective as I have no interest in either. It is irksome to see some of the posts by people on here looking for this app or that, when for the most part they are inferior to just visiting the website.
    03-25-12 11:41 AM
    Not counting games then my list is pretty simple.

Kindle app
    A Twitter Client
    Google+ Client
    news Reader (Feedly in my case)
    Comixology
    ReaditLater Client
    Podcast Client
    Evernote
    Netflix
    Magazines (I like Zinio but rather have the tablet optimized ios ones.)
    03-25-12 11:53 AM
    Quality over quantity eh
    No quantity,no quality
    OttawaGabe likes this.
    03-25-12 01:49 PM
    It is irksome to see some of the posts by people on here looking for this app or that, when for the most part they are inferior to just visiting the website.
    Like? Most websites are also optimized for a phone or desktop, but not a tablet. I often find myself hitting an ad or link when I'm just trying to scroll.
    03-25-12 04:08 PM
    Facebook app is definitely inferior to the site.
    03-25-12 08:51 PM
    Facebook app is definitely inferior to the site.
    Have you ever tried the iOS app? It's got a lot more features and functionality over the PB version.
    03-25-12 09:31 PM
    Have you ever tried the iOS app? It's got a lot more features and functionality over the PB version.
    Does it have the option to NOT upload all your Playbook contacts to Facebook? I ask because on my 9850, RIM's Facebook app allows me to opt out. My friend installed the official Android Facebook app and it pulled all his contacts. The sync is a two-way street. I imagine the Facebook app for iOS does something similar.
    03-26-12 02:42 AM
    Does it have the option to NOT upload all your Playbook contacts to Facebook? I ask because on my 9850, RIM's Facebook app allows me to opt out. My friend installed the official Android Facebook app and it pulled all his contacts. The sync is a two-way street. I imagine the Facebook app for iOS does something similar.
    It's can't remember what happened during the installation, but my iPad2 contacts are not in Facebook.
    03-26-12 07:23 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD