So now that we've got Android apps running on the new Playbook OS v2.0 dev beta, I thought I'd start one thread dedicated to the question of logging in to Google Maps. I know that there are all kinds of Google "services" built into pure Android that probably take care of this in a real Android device. But has anyone figured out a way to configure our new Android Player for login to Google?

One of the main reasons I use Google Maps is to be able to create "My Maps" maps before I go on a trip so all of the important points and routes are recorded ahead of time. Now that we have a real Google Map on the Playbook, I'd love to be able to log in to my account and see all my personal maps and starred locations. Has anyone got any idea how to make this happen?

It seems like the alpha leak of the Android Player from a few months ago had some kind of account management capability that would let you log in on the Android "device", as opposed to having to do it for each Google application individually. Anyone have a clue as to how to do that on the new Player?

Thanks!
    10-21-11 07:46 AM
    Isn't one of the restrictions of the Android Player that Google Map services aren't allowed?
    10-21-11 08:42 AM
    Isn't one of the restrictions of the Android Player that Google Map services aren't allowed?
    I had interpreted that to mean that other apps that expected to be able to integrate with built in Google Map services wouldn't be supported. I can confirm that you can install Google Maps and it works quite well, with the one exception that you can't seem to log into your Google account and see the maps you've saved on their website version.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to setup the Google Account so you can load your own maps into the Google Maps app, like we can on our Blackberry phones?
    10-21-11 09:21 AM
    You need some additional google framework files loaded to be able to log into Google and have Google apps work properly. I've got it working on my tablet, but it will be a bit before it's release quality.
    10-21-11 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD