Hi,
    I've deleted all the movies, songs and big fat games from my playbook (16GB) and left with 36 songs and few apps only, but still I've only 3.1GB of space remaining and that's freaking me out. WHY IS THAT SO!!!
    What's eating my space? i cleared App world cache.
    HELP PLZ...
    07-02-12 02:42 PM
    Hi,
    I've deleted all the movies, songs and big fat games from my playbook (16GB) and left with 36 songs and few apps only, but still I've only 3.1GB of space remaining and that's freaking me out. WHY IS THAT SO!!!
    What's eating my space? i cleared App world cache.
    HELP PLZ...
    All your installed apps.
    If an app is 800 in the appstore, it could be 1.5gb unpacked. All the installed apps are bigger than the size that is given in the Appworld.
    Hope this explains it.

(You also could connect your PB to your PC, and go to the 'misc' folder. There are all the android files stalled.)

Jeroen
    07-02-12 02:49 PM
    If you had any android apps, then you did not get rid of them. Even though they are "deleted" from the PB, they are still on the hard drive. Use a file explorer app to look for the files and manually delete them. Another sad result of RIMjobs chopped and screwed Android addition to OS 2.
    Zildjian71 and blackmailor like this.
    07-02-12 02:50 PM
    and how to do that??? but still will it eat almost all the space?? android apps may be of few megabytes but not GBs'

Thanx anyway
    07-02-12 02:57 PM
    They all add up. I will check later when I get some time and see if I can find the exact locations of the files needed to be deleted. It is probably easiest to do when hooked up to the computer vice an app now that I think about it.
    07-02-12 03:02 PM
    but even after deleting them why am i not able to successfully free up the space? that's the point... as i've mentioned that i've deleted almost all the fatty apps. but still only 3.1GB left....
    jtvoxboi likes this.
    07-02-12 03:03 PM
    but even after deleting them why am i not able to successfully free up the space? that's the point... as i've mentioned that i've deleted almost all the fatty apps. but still only 3.1GB left....
    You haven't deleted the Android user files.. You can find them in your 'misc' folder (or connect your PB to your PC and go to Z:/misc/android )
    po8pimp likes this.
    07-02-12 03:14 PM
    I am telling you that if you held your finger on the app and clicked delete on any apps that are android player dependent, then you did nothing but delete a shortcut to the "desktop" so to say. You have to manually go in and clean it up. I will clean mine up tonight and post a "How to" I still see some of the files in my android that are deleted that should not be there just in the app folder on the Android portion, so I know it is not being thouroughly deleted from the system using the normal method. I don't have your tablet, so I can't tell you exactly how to clean it up, can only give advice on what I know.
    snarlybear likes this.
    07-02-12 03:15 PM
    Have you tried rebooting your PB?
    07-02-12 05:37 PM
    You might want to check this out. A PlayBook App Manager (Chrome/Firefox Extension)

It list all of your apps and you can uninstall it from there.

PlayBook App Manager
    mszbzltn likes this.
    07-03-12 01:07 AM
    after doing what ever i could do, i've only left with one nuclear option left and that is to reset. because there's nothing or little i could do with this tiny space, because my pb is lagging alot due to insufficient space.
    07-03-12 09:01 AM
    If you had any android apps, then you did not get rid of them. Even though they are "deleted" from the PB, they are still on the hard drive. Use a file explorer app to look for the files and manually delete them. Another sad result of RIMjobs chopped and screwed Android addition to OS 2.
    My android folder under misc also has a duplicate copy of photos, videos, and music folders and files. Is that true for other users? I don't recall using any android apps for music or camera functions. Strange...
    07-03-12 11:30 AM
    My android folder under misc also has a duplicate copy of photos, videos, and music folders and files. Is that true for other users? I don't recall using any android apps for music or camera functions. Strange...
    This has been discussed many times. These files are not really duplicates but are merely shortcuts to the original files.
    07-03-12 11:38 AM

As noted, this has been discussed but even though I know it, I was confounded the other day when I decided to do some manual backups since some of the Android apps have been creating files. So I figured I would just drag/copy from the Misc/Android folder to my computer's harddisk. Start the process and get an Error Message - no space. HUH!!! What the ..... I forgot that Windows sees those "copies/links/shortcuts" as Real Files. So it wanted to copy about 35gigs to my computer. Needless to say, I did not want to re-copy all of my pictures, videos, music, etc since I already have those backed up.
    07-03-12 12:28 PM
    this also happened to me as i wasn't even using android apps (my signing keys didn't work at the time) but i had a bunch of large games Nova 2,Modern combat 2, etc. and even after deleting i gained no space so i suggest just reset everything and this time around only re download the stuff from app world that you will actually use
    ChK1lZ likes this.
    07-03-12 05:10 PM
    There has to be some memory managment program out there to help clean up unwanted files.
    I have a 32 GB, and with music, docs and videos, I have used up 15GB of space, so where is the other 15GB, assumming OS is 2GB.
    I only have free 1GB of space.
    I can't believe it is all apps. I probably have 60-70 games that are anywhere from 200Kb to 3Mb. So it isn't that.

I really don't want to do a hard reset and start over.
    08-28-12 10:14 AM
    You ave 60-70 games, and you don't have Need for Speed or Asphalt 6 or Modern Combat or GT Racing? These games can run 400 or 500 MB each.
    08-28-12 11:17 AM
    A suggestion from me is that if you have ever used the Podcast app and used to download videos, they will only show up in that specific app. I quit using it for a while only to forget that I had over 3GB of podcast in there. Also if someone knows how to remove them from the PlayBook to store on my external HDD that help would be very much appreciated.
    08-28-12 06:36 PM
    Maybe you downloaded lots of movies on your PlayBook? Those show up in the downloads folder, so if you only check videos, music, pictures and documents these would have been easily missed. The most likely explanation in my opinion is definitely apps though, so make sure to delete all those you don't want. Another thing to note though is that I think Android Player stores a lot of images whenever you use an app, so look around for those (I think they're in misc/android, but don't know for sure.
    08-29-12 11:09 AM
    As noted, this has been discussed but even though I know it, I was confounded the other day when I decided to do some manual backups since some of the Android apps have been creating files. So I figured I would just drag/copy from the Misc/Android folder to my computer's harddisk. Start the process and get an Error Message - no space. HUH!!! What the ..... I forgot that Windows sees those "copies/links/shortcuts" as Real Files. So it wanted to copy about 35gigs to my computer. Needless to say, I did not want to re-copy all of my pictures, videos, music, etc since I already have those backed up.
    This has been discussed many times. These files are not really duplicates but are merely shortcuts to the original files.
    Apparently i misunderstood the purpose of these two posts. I just went and deleted misc>android files and lost all of my music
    08-29-12 07:44 PM
    Apparently i misunderstood the purpose of these two posts. I just went and deleted misc>android files and lost all of my music
    Sorry about that.

In a few posts, I and others have warned NOT to delete the "duplicate" files as the real files will be deleted.
    08-30-12 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD