So reading the CB News this week, I noticed one common app between Adam & b1aze: Evernote.

Adam's most-used BlackBerry Apps of 2011 | CrackBerry.com
    Bla1ze's most-used BlackBerry Apps of 2011 | CrackBerry.com

Never a user of it, I thought I might give it a whirl. I watched the vids on the Evernote website, feh. If you're not a wine fanatic or a chef, looked pretty useless.

Until a ran a test. Uploaded two photos from my PB32 - a Crutchfield catalog cover and a hand written post-it note. Did a search on the text - WOW. Even the cursive notes were coming up from the search. I was impressed.

So my question to all my fellow Crackberry-heads out there: how do YOU use Evernote? BBers never cease to amaze me with unique ways to use tools available to them. Feel free to include some screenshots if you can.

A couple of Evernote threads to include:
    Why I use Evernote (and you should too!) | CrackBerry.com
    Evernote for BlackBerry PlayBook updated to verison 1.1.1 | CrackBerry.com
    12-31-11 11:48 AM
    Here is a post I wrote for my project management blog as an introduction to how I use Evernote:

Evernote Explained: A Brief Introduction | Project Management for the Masses

For me, the thing missing on the PB app is the ability to save your data locally. This is what is keeping me from REALLY using my PB as the major tool in my workflow.
    12-31-11 12:05 PM
    Here is a post I wrote for my project management blog as an introduction to how I use Evernote:

For me, the thing missing on the PB app is the ability to save your data locally. This is what is keeping me from REALLY using my PB as the major tool in my workflow.
    OUTSTANDING link. Thanks for the contribution, and this is exactly what I am looking for. The Evernote tutorials are a little thin for innovative uses, esp in the professional arena.
    12-31-11 12:15 PM

+1 I've resorted to using the Android App on the OS 2.0 beta which does allow local storage, all in all its a great service though!
    12-31-11 04:17 PM
    +1 I've resorted to using the Android App on the OS 2.0 beta which does allow local storage, all in all its a great service though!
    Wouldn't have a link for that by any chance would you??
    12-31-11 06:40 PM
    Never mind... found it.
    01-01-12 01:13 AM
    I use it for:
    • passwords/login info/membership numbers
    • random images I've saved from the internet
    • to do lists (daily/weekly)
    • brainstorming ideas
    • weekly call notes (email them to participants afterwards from within the app on my Mac)
    • instructions for tasks
    • recipes
    • copies of receipts
    • web links for sites I want to explore later
    • future planning
    • backups of Excel/Text documents
    ...among other things :P
    When I first learned that you can email stuff to Evernote, I was super excited. It makes using it a whole lot more convenient.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    01-01-12 04:03 AM
    Hey from time to time i read faszinated articels about evernote.

Everytime i read one - i�am checking out evernote but than it comes back what i�m missing! -> There is no calender function intergated...

I have read a few articels in which deveolpers try to combine e.g. google calender and evernote...

The question is now up for the experienced users of evernote: do use a combination of evernote and a calander (google, outlook?) - or how do u organize ur daylie schedeule?

Is there a app for android or the playbook?

If not -> which calendar app does u use?

greetings tobi
    Last edited by tobiman; 01-01-12 at 08:04 AM.
    01-01-12 07:50 AM
    Thanks Michelle! With regards to login & pswd keeping, do you turn off Evernote auto login to prevent potential theft? My concern would be if my 9810 or PB32 got boosted.
    01-01-12 07:54 AM
    Couldn't get the version from Playbook bars spreadsheet to load... anyone got an alternative link pls??
    01-01-12 10:40 AM
    Couldn't get the version from Playbook bars spreadsheet to load... anyone got an alternative link pls??
    I'll dig out my BAR when I get home
    01-01-12 11:38 AM
    there is also a free evernote version in the bb appworld? - why don�t choose this one?
    01-01-12 11:52 AM
    I have a love/hate relationship with them...

Their BB app is awful. Slow, poorly coded, buggy... They PB version is not that much better. I would keep uninstalling it after trying new versions.

I use it for data swapping BB > PB and vice versa. I understand I can use Notes over bridge, but sometimes I ned to send a picture or a file that Bridge won't cover (zips for one).
    01-01-12 12:47 PM
    i just got it and so far i use to pc/bb/pb. i have the evernote clipper for google chrome and when i clip a link or anything else it is saved in evernote and i can access from any device anywhere. share links, pics, etc. i can't wait to learn more.
    01-01-12 01:11 PM
    OUTSTANDING link. Thanks for the contribution, and this is exactly what I am looking for. The Evernote tutorials are a little thin for innovative uses, esp in the professional arena.
    Thank you jcbrunson, I'm glad it was helpful. If you like podcasts, I host the "Construction Industry Podcast," and on episode 4 I shared with the listeners a introduction to Evernote and tips on how to use it.

You can look up "Construction Industry Podcast" on the podcast app on your PlayBook or BlackBerry phone, and listen to episode 4. It is right after the interview with the CEO of the Construction Management Association of America.

You can also listen and read the transcription here:

004 Construction Industry Podcast – Construction Management Association of America

Let me know what you think and how you are using Evernote. I'm always looking for new ways to use it
    ccdawg and jcbrunson like this.
    01-01-12 01:17 PM
    Hey from time to time i read faszinated articels about evernote.

Everytime i read one - i�am checking out evernote but than it comes back what i�m missing! -> There is no calender function intergated...

I have read a few articels in which deveolpers try to combine e.g. google calender and evernote...

The question is now up for the experienced users of evernote: do use a combination of evernote and a calander (google, outlook?) - or how do u organize ur daylie schedeule?

Is there a app for android or the playbook?

If not -> which calendar app does u use?

greetings tobi
    Hi Tobi,

Evernote is not a productivity app in itself, but merely a very clever and useful way for you to capture and store stuff. Because of the mobile app, it is always on you. Because it can receive text, audio, or images, it becomes very powerful as you come across things you'd like to keep or remember. And because of its notebooks, tags, and image processing, it is extremely easy to retrieve memories when you need them. I have thousands of notes in my Evernote account, and I can find anything with one or two search queries.

For a more detailed overview of my productivity workflow, check out this blog post I wrote:

How To Be Productive When Things Keep Coming At You | Project Management for the Masses

In short, I collect stuff with Evernote. Then, every couple of days, I go through my default Evernote notebook (which I called "inbox") and process the items there. Some of the things there will translate into an item in my to-do list, others will translate into a calendar entry, others will simply be stored away in another notebook, and others will simply be trashed.

For my to-do list, I use a service called Toodledo (Toodledo : A to-do list to organize your tasks). It is free, very powerful and there are a variety of apps that integrate with it. There is a Toodledo app for iOS, and for BlackBerry there is one called TaskJot (To do list app for Blackberry that syncs with Toodledo - TaskJot). I haven't used TaskJot, so I can't vouch for it.

For calendar functions, I use Google Calendar. I like it because it is very user friendly and there are tons of applications out there that integrate with it.

There is an incredibly useful little app called Pocket Informant which integrates with both Toodledo AND Google Calendar. As far as I know, it is the only one out there. I've been using it for a long time on my iPhone and I love it. There is a BlackBerry version of it too, and you can check it out here:

Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant BlackBerry

For the PlayBook, I'm yet to find an app that I like that integrate well with Google Calendar and Toodledo. You can use the web version of Toodledo on the PlayBook, but I think web apps for the most part are not very good.

For those who are fans of David Allen's "Getting Things Done" system (like myself), Evernote, and Google Calendar, there is a very slick web app currently in beta release called ZenDone (zendone | a beautiful productivity tool for Getting Things Done�). I was lucky enough to be on their first invitation list, and am currently evaluating it and will publish a review of it soon on Project Management for the Masses | Project Management Ideas for the Rest of Us.. I can tell you right now that unfortunately it is not great on the PlayBook browser.

Anyway, Evernote is great for what it is. No app will be perfect for everything everybody wants to do. The idea is to have a productivity system that is tool-independent, that you could make work with simply pen and paper, and then look for tools that will help you implement it.

I hope it helped, and let me know if I can help anybody. Drop me a line here or through pmforthemasses.com.

Cesar
    Kristophorus and jcbrunson like this.
    01-01-12 01:44 PM
    there is also a free evernote version in the bb appworld? - why don�t choose this one?
    I'd like offline/local storage capability available in the android ver.

I'll dig out my BAR when I get home
    That would be very much appreciated
    01-01-12 01:56 PM
    Never used it but guess I will have to check it out!
    01-01-12 09:21 PM
    i second the wish that the playbook version had offline/local storage. i downloaded it but just now started messing with it; discovered the fatal flaw -- i don't have access to wifi or my data plan on my 9700 (because i'm overseas) and without offline ability and/or local storage, it just became pretty much useless (for now).
    01-02-12 12:54 AM
    Tell me what you think of Slicktasks or Todo matrix for productivity.

Slicktasks is a phone app that I wish were available for the playbook - I haven't seen anything like it - It is a hierarchical task or list organizing app - each task can be assigned dates, alarms, reminders,recurrences, etc, notes, contacts can be attached, to each - but the best thing is you don't have to assign categories to each to keep them in order, you simply rearrange them in the priority or hierarchy and thins can be done easily.

Infinite levels of subTasks or items can be grouped under a Task. - enter your item - organize now or organize later by moving it up/down in priority - or indented under another item.

Outline form for all your thoughts.

My whole brain is in there - past, present, future plans and appointments - it has made all of the native PIM stuff obsolete on my phone - I never use the calendar, memo pad or any of that since using this app. I can't do without it. Most useful primary app I own or need to own.

SlickTasks | BlackBerry Task Management app
    $15 but well worth it.

Very reliable - completely independent of the cloud, thus highly secure and you can make backups or restorations to/from an XML file on your SD card. Which can then be stored on your PC or wherever.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 10:21 AM.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    01-02-12 01:51 AM
    Evernote 3.3 Android BAR for anyone who wants it!
    DD1968 and wordy like this.
    01-02-12 05:48 AM
    i second the wish that the playbook version had offline/local storage. i downloaded it but just now started messing with it; discovered the fatal flaw -- i don't have access to wifi or my data plan on my 9700 (because i'm overseas) and without offline ability and/or local storage, it just became pretty much useless (for now).
    Well, not entirely. Remember that you can still use your PC, Mac, BB with Evernote. Just because we can't use it on the PB while bridging isn't so bad.
    01-02-12 07:21 AM
    Evernote 3.3 Android BAR for anyone who wants it!
    Thanks!
    01-02-12 07:55 AM
    Well, not entirely. Remember that you can still use your PC, Mac, BB with Evernote. Just because we can't use it on the PB while bridging isn't so bad.
    Well, that's true, if it weren't for the fact that the environment I'm in (read: Afghanistan) inherently had extra "challenges" that normal folks back home don't have. I'm usually carrying my playbook -- not a laptop -- in the cargo pocket of my pants and it's times when I'm out and about that I really wish I could use Evernote to its full potential on my Playbook, but alas, without a wifi or data connection available...(I mean, it's not like I can pull into a local Starbucks and scam some free wifi.)

I understand my situation is a little different than the norm but I'm standing by my point that for me, the little flaw of lacking offline access/storage makes it pretty much a dud.
    01-02-12 12:52 PM
    Well, that's true, if it weren't for the fact that the environment I'm in (read: Afghanistan) inherently had extra "challenges" that normal folks back home don't have. I'm usually carrying my playbook -- not a laptop -- in the cargo pocket of my pants and it's times when I'm out and about that I really wish I could use Evernote to its full potential on my Playbook, but alas, without a wifi or data connection available...(I mean, it's not like I can pull into a local Starbucks and scam some free wifi.)

I understand my situation is a little different than the norm but I'm standing by my point that for me, the little flaw of lacking offline access/storage makes it pretty much a dud.
    Are you complaining, soldier? Drop and give RIM fifty!

Thanks for your servce, sir.
    mccs likes this.
    01-02-12 01:56 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD