Howdy. I'd like to ask all of you how you go about finding apps, along with how you decide whether or not to make a purchase. Do you just browse AppWorld randomly? Follow suggestions from ads or blogs? Look for what's hot in forums? Maybe something else entirely. Let me know, and thanks!
    05-17-11 04:32 PM
    Follow suggestion from blog and look for what is hot in forum.
    06-02-11 03:39 AM
    All the above work for me. Most times following suggestions from CrackBerry or other blog sites. I read reviews on AppWorld and try to judge for myself. Many apps don't stay around beyond an early trial. Depends on the functionality in my world.
    06-02-11 07:02 AM
    I decide there's something I need/want. I find it at the best price I can. I look in my wallet to determine if I'm buying it or not.
    06-02-11 11:31 AM
    Hit up Youtube hoping for a preview, along with what others have said.
    06-02-11 12:03 PM
    I look to see if there are any reviews on Youtube or if people have actual websites where you can see better pictures/videos of the apps working. I find the fact that you can't blow up the pictures in the Appworld annoying as sometimes its hard to see what the app looks like. I stay away completely from any apps that havent posted screenshots.

Other than that, I look on crackberry and the forums here to see what people have been buying or commenting on.
    06-02-11 12:37 PM
    Right now I haven't bought a single app. Use plenty of free ones, but I really want to wait for the platform to mature and for the apps to start looking as polished as the ones that came with the Playbook, which means probably be waiting for the NDK. That's not to say I wouldn't buy one before that time, I just haven't seen anything that seems worth buying yet.

I usually come here to learn about the apps though.
    06-02-11 12:39 PM
    If the icon looks pretty i buy it, i also look for the words awesome, amazing and incredible in the description, if one of those words are on the name of the app, its an intsant buy for me.
    06-02-11 04:38 PM
    1) Decide what app I want or need

2) Search for the app

3) Look for posts here on CB to see what the consensus is.

The majority of the apps I've bought do not cost a lot so if they turn out to be a dud I'm not too disappointed.
    06-02-11 06:16 PM
    I buy Randomly...if I like the reviews and it's something that me or my kids might be interested in, I buy it. I think I've bought about $30 in apps so far LOL
    06-03-11 01:38 AM
    I buy Randomly...if I like the reviews and it's something that me or my kids might be interested in, I buy it. I think I've bought about $30 in apps so far LOL
    That about sums it up for me as well
    06-03-11 09:03 AM
    Research, look at reviews. periodically go into App World and explore. Generally I don't consider apps, that just interface to web sites, as i see little value in that when the browser is pretty good. No games, not even free ones. I am not a gamer. About the only game I play on my computer is Spyder when I am REALLY REALLY bored!

I look mostly for apps to apply to my work, or communication, knowledge management capabilities.
    06-03-11 11:01 AM
    Handy utilities like file manager apps. I've also purchased the app that allows subtitle text files to be overlayed over video files.
    06-03-11 11:44 AM
    I have bought around a dozen apps for the PB.

Half were apps or games I had read about on Crackberry (main site or fourms), like aVnc, Moo, Papa's Burgeria.

A few others were apps/games that had trial versions. I played the 5 level demo for Lonely Turret and needed to buy the full version as I was addicted.

One or two others I bought after just browsing AppWorld without putting in much thought. Generally these were 99 cent apps.
    06-03-11 12:31 PM
    hmm..I will start using this forum more for previews, etc, but I tend to search in the appworld for a game I might like (gems, matching, checkers, etc,) and if something pops up and has 4-5 stars I'll take a look. I also seem to instantly look at all the featured apps as well since those stick out so much. I don't know about paying more than 1-3 bucks for a game on the playbook. If I want to do serious gaming, I'd rather use my computer but for on the go gaming, I love the playbook and think .99 is about right for quick session games, etc.
    06-04-11 01:40 AM
    depends what the app is, if its a game its usually a dollar or two and by reading the reviews (on any app for that matter) gives a pretty good idea if the app is worth the money or not, and i try and read all of the reviews. the one im considering right now is touch-up pro, for 2.99 i mean its only $3 but the free trial doesn't expire which kinda defeats the purpose lol, but i guess its so you just can't get any updates for it, not that it really matters because as it is right now its pretty good.
    06-05-11 03:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD