I have this crazy awesome app idea for the playbook but don't know how to make it? can someone please give me instructions on how to make an app.
    04-03-12 07:51 PM
    Unfortunately, programming isnt quite the same as it used to be... So its more difficult than just sending over a hello world tutorial.

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/

But start with this link. There are several languages, each with advantages and disadvantages. Personally I use Flash Builder, but Native SDK is better and HTML5 (assuming your app can run in it without speed issues)is of course best (portability).

But your first step is to read, read, read. Download IDEs and start programming. Everything you need is on google, in the rim api helpfiles or the IDE helpfiles including samples.

Ed
    suzieque and llllBULLSEYE like this.
    04-03-12 08:15 PM
    I am interested too. I have some minor knowledge in java.
    I know how to build switches and use strings and arrays and stuff like that,
    but I dounno how to build windows and I dunno how to build that for blackberry.
    Has anyone hints for that?
    04-03-12 08:25 PM
    I'll be honest, I've always been self taught and all languages are the same - its just the syntax and methodology that changes.

I.E. An array is an array, a string is a string (or sequence of chars, or a sequence of integers leading to ascii chars as stored in ram), and a function is a function.

Just start at the top link, pick the language that suits your needs, and follow the RIM tutorials.

Every language, the logic code is the same.. (or a feature is not supported)

I.e.

function main():null {
    var myString:String = ”helloworld";
    showText(myString);
    }

private function showText(inString:String):void {
    trace(”Input: ”+ inString);
    }

Is similar to:

Sub Main
    Dim myString as String
    myString = "Hello World"
    showString(myString)
    End Sub

Function showString(inString as String)
    msgbox inString
    End Function

It just has a different format and syntax. But the logic is unchanged. So pick a language and a goal, and start learning as you go. No sense worrying about how to read/write to a .text file until you need to do so in your code. Then grab a sample somewhere and learn from it. Will get you going much much faster.
    Last edited by KermEd; 04-03-12 at 08:52 PM.
    04-03-12 08:49 PM
    I wanted to write a simple app for my own purposes too and started reading up on it. Was quickly discouraged when I first realized that I had multiple options as listed by KermEd but had no idea which one to go with in my paticular situation (i.e., simple, to be used on only one platform, and easy to create).

I even started downloading the necessary software but was overwhelmed with exactly what I needed. I found the documentation very confusing. Too bad they don't have something that anyone can use "out of the box". I need something like MS Access where there is a certain amount of GUI design ability and data storage and manipulation.

I do hope programming isn't as complex to real developers out there.

If you do find something easy to use, please post your experience.
    04-03-12 08:59 PM
    Oh no, its a frightening experience and quite ovverwhelming for sure.

When I do one-on-ones with people to get them started with mobile development, I make sure they know they need to:

Day1 - Look at the options, see code samples, pick the best language for you longterm
    Day2 - Install all the software - can take hours
    Day3 - Build a Hello World app
    Day4 - Build a multi-touch app that draws circlez
    Day5 - Build a text box that saves to a txt file
    Day6 - Draw boxes that resize on rotation, etc.
    Day7 - Build a simple web-app
    Day8 - Build an app tht loads gfx and shows pictures
    Day9 - Build an app that plays sfx
    Day10 - Build an app with a log function to log info to a file.
    Day11 - Merge all to create your full bodied development engine

But its hard ti explain it all over Crackberry. If you guys install the Flash Builder route and go down that path I would be happy to help yaall. NDK I can do but its slower for me. And there is the webkit too. But Flash Builder is the easier one for me (its what I build Secure Browser in).

Developing for PB can be toug because you dont have as many resources as you want for one-on-one chats. But make friends on here with other devs and use the supportnforums on the blackberry forums for developers.

Ed
    04-03-12 10:02 PM
    So Ed, in your opinion which is the easiest option for programming simple apps using text and list boxes and data storage?

Thanks for your helpful advice.
    04-03-12 10:16 PM
    So Ed, in your opinion which is the easiest option for programming simple apps using text and list boxes and data storage?

Thanks for your helpful advice.
    Flex aka AS3 aka Flash Builder.

Flex is the straightup easiest way to program for the PB for that type of thing (in my opinion). Andthere are lots of good youtube examples of flex for mobile devices.

I bet a good flex dev could make a simple app with those settings in probably 30 lines of code. An AS3 dev (thats me) would take about 60.

Flex is essentially a way of using container-like template commands to create and populate a layout. So creating a textbox with some text in it and putting it st the top of the page is only 1 line of code.

That one is built into Flash Builder
    04-03-12 10:33 PM
    You pay adobe hundreds of dollars to develop on a platform that is probably going to die soon.

Or you use the NDK without cascades.

Seriously, there is a trial of flash builder available. Download that and the playbook SDK. Go start reading and doing tutorials and such.
    04-03-12 11:08 PM
    You pay adobe hundreds of dollars to develop on a platform that is probably going to die soon.

Or you use the NDK without cascades.
    h

Seriously, there is a trial of flash builder available. Download that and the playbook SDK. Go start reading and doing tutorials and such.
    Adobe has a program to get the app for free . And you can also install an eclipse version of Flash Builder for free from RIM as well - unless they removed it?

But it is a crazy long trial. You could even setup a VM box and recycle it ever expire if you wanted. But the free copies from Adobe make more sense.

I find AS3 intuitive enough for me. Some things are cumbersome but it works and thats what matters when learning. But I agree with you, Flash is a risk, but it will take a long time to dissolve. People will be reluctant to move from Flash to HTML5 because there is no authority insisting on the change and because it makes no sense to rebuild a working system. You know the old saying, if it aint broke (from the view of a business user), dont fix it.

Over the next 3 years I think it will start to improve though.
    04-03-12 11:54 PM
    Adobe has a program to get the app for free . And you can also install an eclipse version of Flash Builder for free from RIM as well - unless they removed it?

But it is a crazy long trial. You could even setup a VM box and recycle it ever expire if you wanted. But the free copies from Adobe make more sense.

I find AS3 intuitive enough for me. Some things are cumbersome but it works and thats what matters when learning. But I agree with you, Flash is a risk, but it will take a long time to dissolve. People will be reluctant to move from Flash to HTML5 because there is no authority insisting on the change and because it makes no sense to rebuild a working system. You know the old saying, if it aint broke (from the view of a business user), dont fix it.

Sure, but flex/air isn't really the same as flash.

and can you link to these free plugins/copies of flash builder? Or are you talking about the trial?
    04-04-12 12:13 AM
    I've dived in with Contruct 2. A drag-and-drop games maker for HTML5. It works perfectly and have not ran into anything while developing a few small things for myself. You should check it out, its easy to use and you'll have apps and games within notime!
    04-04-12 02:55 AM
    People will be reluctant to move from Flash to HTML5 because there is no authority insisting on the change and because it makes no sense to rebuild a working system. You know the old saying, if it aint broke (from the view of a business user), dont fix it.

Stupid youtube can't even get even close to all of their videos to support HTML5 yet, let alone all the other random sites, video hosts and games...
    04-04-12 04:09 AM
    Just learn the NDK. Cascades will be for the NDK. AIR has run out of air. WebWorks is another option.
    04-04-12 04:54 AM
    Im preparing myself as well on making apps on bb10 i know things about html css and a tad javascript so i chosen the webwork path. Im using jquerymobile framework and phonegap to package the app. I tried sencha touch but too challenging for me..
    slipsam likes this.
    04-04-12 05:05 AM
    Hey KermEd,

I wrote u something so please respond.
    04-04-12 09:45 AM
    Hey there,

I sent you a response pretty quickly after. I don't answer Crackberry stuff much myself when I'm at work - but if you have any questions feel free to ask

Ed.
    04-05-12 11:39 PM
    So, I read well the advice about languages basically being the same, which tallies very well with my own experience (my own path is like BASIC->FORTRAN->C->C++->Java->ksh). I prefer C++ - is this an option on the PB?
    04-06-12 07:22 AM
    i believe you can c++ it to make native apps. you have to use the NDK for i think. supposedly the best results would be with native.
    04-06-12 03:59 PM
    writing apps aren't that hard... i ve written 4 in the last 4 days ( I just started 4 days ago!).

html5 is a gd start as it uses javascript (which is like but not java which is like but not the same as c/c++ used for sdk dev)

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook #BeBold 2012
    04-06-12 05:18 PM
    I agree with KermED, Flash or HTML are the easiest options for beginners... C++ is way more complex and can be overwhelming for some, take slow steps and eventually you will get the hang of it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-06-12 05:40 PM
    So, I read well the advice about languages basically being the same, which tallies very well with my own experience (my own path is like BASIC->FORTRAN->C->C++->Java->ksh). I prefer C++ - is this an option on the PB?
    i believe you can c++ it to make native apps. you have to use the NDK for i think. supposedly the best results would be with native.
    C/C++ is Native SDK stuff!
    04-06-12 08:06 PM
    I agree with KermED, Flash or HTML are the easiest options for beginners... C++ is way more complex and can be overwhelming for some, take slow steps and eventually you will get the hang of it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    I read up on flash and Adobe Flex builder and that is far too complex for me and what I plan on doing. I looked into html and based on someone's earlier suggestion downloaded Construct 2 by Scirra. Graphic based with little code writing if at all. However, the problem is poor documentation and weak tutorials. I haven't been able to get an answer on how to package and install an app on my playbook. Their forums aren't much help either.

Too bad because this could have been the ideal solution for the casual, part-time developer who just wants to create simple apps or use it as a learning tool.
    04-06-12 09:34 PM
    i also want to get into developing for Playbook...

are there any good sites with tutorials?
    04-07-12 12:14 AM
    use this

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/

I made 5 apps in 5 days using that tutorial. don't underestimate the documentation rim has it is very easy to read and easy to use!

i also want to get into developing for Playbook...

are there any good sites with tutorials?

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook #BeBold 2012
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-07-12 12:39 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD