I was wondering; and, before I begin, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. I'm just trying to figure out some things.

-

What apps will be available on launch? I haven't heard much besides the normal ones (calculator, browser, fb, calendar, etc) and of course the ones we saw from TAT like the music app.

I know a lot of you will say it doesn't need apps, but I disagree. That's like saying a PC doesn't need applications/programs... and I suppose it doesn't, but without them, it would be just a big, expensive browser.

I'm concerned Playbook will end up being what I just described, if it's appworld isn't up to par...I know the appworld on my Torch leaves a lot to be desired. For a phone this is fine, but for a tablet, it needs functionality.

I'm looking for apps like this:

Music creation apps (something along the lines of logic, protools, **** even simpler like garageband or fruity loops?) Will there be MIDI support if it has something like this?

Netflix

Manga reader / ebook reader

Movie creator

Video chat - I know it has skype, correct? Are there any other known video chat apps?

Note taking app - I need to take notes with a stylus, what kind of app is available for this?

Games ... not super concerned with this, but it would be nice. Besides need for speed and tetris, does Playbook offer any games?

PDF Viewer

Audio editing app? Obviously I mentioned the music creation apps and you can edit audio in some of those, but what about something very simple, such as audacity, for quick edits to email?

Photoshop / photo editing app? Something simple, again, I have a PC for main work.

Along the same lines, possibly a way to hook the playbook to a PC and use it as a tablet IN photoshop?

------------------------

These are just a few apps I'm looking for, there are plenty more I would like but I won't continue. Can anyone please tell me if these are available, or for that matter, what apps WILL be available at all?

I mean, I've been watching Playbook since day 1, but how can I (or anyone else) justify throwing down $500+ for a 7" browser, calculator, and calendar?

I've given up on RIM giving us details about tethering fee's, and I'm only focused on being able to use a tablet with wifi now. But come on RIM, or anybody, let us know if the playbook has any functionality!
    03-23-11 12:55 PM
    We've seen some pictures and vids of some of the apps...i distinctly remember skype.
    03-23-11 12:57 PM
    Games ... not super concerned with this, but it would be nice. Besides need for speed and tetris, does Playbook offer any games?
    oh yes my game just got approved less than an hour ago (yea im still smiling)

PlayBook Daily has a fair few apps and stuff on there, alot of stuff isnt live yet though, i personally think there will be comments on the ammount of apps in the earnings call tomorrow. i know if i was an investor that would be my question, so it should be worth a listen
    Momo13Drums and Bren S. like this.
    03-23-11 01:02 PM
    skye will be available, but RIM is also developing their own video chat app that was supposed to be on the PB when it launches. as to the other apps, i have no clue. plus if rumors are true, you could supposedly run droid apps on the pb.
    03-23-11 01:20 PM
    skye will be available, but RIM is also developing their own video chat app that was supposed to be on the PB when it launches. as to the other apps, i have no clue. plus if rumors are true, you could supposedly run droid apps on the pb.
    Could it be Video BBM???
    03-23-11 01:22 PM

PlayBook Daily has a fair few apps and stuff on there, alot of stuff isnt live yet though, i personally think there will be comments on the ammount of apps in the earnings call tomorrow. i know if i was an investor that would be my question, so it should be worth a listen
    This was actually pretty helpful. I hadn't seen this site yet...

I found a couple applications that interested me, mainly the sticky notes one, couple note taking apps, chess, the photo organizer, "smartpark", paper plane game, flashcards, etc.

These things were cool, and definitely something I'd use. But a lot of them looked very immature and there isn't much substance. I hope playbook matures and has better apps.
    I've got no problem with sheer amount of apps, I'd rather have quality over quantity any day, but it looked like a lot of them were lacking in substance.

I'm confused at this point, the playbook is something I wanted but seeing a galaxy tab, the screen was tiny, and PB is the same size. Factoring in that it looks like it won't have a better selection of apps (both in quality and quantity) than the current appworld, and definitely not music creation apps, movie stuff, photo editing,etc... how can I justify spending $500+ on a browser and tip calculator when I already have my torch?

Does anyone else feel the same way about this? I mean, I've been waiting since day 1, and it's frustrating enough they make you wait, but they make it sound like a big deal, and when it finally hits.... theres no substance? I thought we were promised all sorts of amazing applications to make use of PB? I really don't need a $500+ screen extension on my torch.
    03-23-11 01:53 PM

I found a couple applications that interested me, mainly the sticky notes one, couple note taking apps, chess, the photo organizer, "smartpark", paper plane game, flashcards, etc.

These things were cool, and definitely something I'd use. But a lot of them looked very immature and there isn't much substance. I hope playbook matures and has better apps.
    I've got no problem with sheer amount of apps, I'd rather have quality over quantity any day, but it looked like a lot of them were lacking in substance.

I'm confused at this point, the playbook is something I wanted but seeing a galaxy tab, the screen was tiny, and PB is the same size. Factoring in that it looks like it won't have a better selection of apps (both in quality and quantity) than the current appworld, and definitely not music creation apps, movie stuff, photo editing,etc... how can I justify spending $500+ on a browser and tip calculator when I already have my torch?

Does anyone else feel the same way about this? I mean, I've been waiting since day 1, and it's frustrating enough they make you wait, but they make it sound like a big deal, and when it finally hits.... theres no substance? I thought we were promised all sorts of amazing applications to make use of PB? I really don't need a $500+ screen extension on my torch.
    PB has support for media content creation....that's been on the PB page at www.blackberrry.com for months now!

As far as app potential...the PB OS is way more advanced then the competition...QNX>ios/android...wait until PB's are in the hands of dev's and the SDK's come out of beta....there should be no concern at all....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-23-11 at 02:21 PM.
    03-23-11 02:18 PM
    Elmo

10char
    03-23-11 02:26 PM
    why do you need apps?
    The OS seems robust enough to run full fledged programs, and internet access is not dumbed down..
    Here's a question: How many "apps" do you have on your PC or Macbook?
    03-23-11 02:26 PM

Wow! Congrats to you!!!

I have faith that there will be loads of great apps very soon so I'm not worried about that. Can't wait to download my Kindle library to the PlayBook and have a same-size-as-Kindle ereader that is backlit!

And with the fuller web experience, we won't need an app for everything!
    03-23-11 02:35 PM
    didn't you make the exact same thread twice already?

i think in your last one you said you hated the form factor of the galaxy tab (which is the same as the PB). why are you still interested in it?
    03-23-11 02:35 PM
    why do you need apps?
    The OS seems robust enough to run full fledged programs, and internet access is not dumbed down..
    Ahmen brother....remember!........drum roll please........this thing is POSIX compliant and not only that...but POSIX certified....LOOK OUT.....because what 99.5% of people tend to forget is we are going to have desktop programs ported!!! That's freakn' huge!

03-23-11 02:37 PM
    haha i didnty know my game was on there, its come a long way since that vid

Wow! Congrats to you!!!
    thanks just got my order thru for my playbook!! its definitley `good news week` as far as im concerned
    03-23-11 02:40 PM
    I"m pretty sure it comes with a pdf viewer out of the box, it mentions it on the apps section of the blackberry website (it's been updated a bit since the 21st i believe)
    03-23-11 02:43 PM
    BTW on the question of apps, does anyone here play Medieval Kings Chess 2 on the BB?
    Would be great if that is ported on the PB
    03-23-11 02:43 PM
    I"m pretty sure it comes with a pdf viewer out of the box, it mentions it on the apps section of the blackberry website (it's been updated a bit since the 21st i believe)
    As far as Adobe offerings go....QNX has been a partner with Adobe for 7 years I believe...not only that...they are strategic partners...so if Adobe offers it...it's pretty safe to say it'll be on the PB!

03-23-11 02:49 PM
    Congrats! I'm not super interested in a lot of games for the PB, BUT that was one that I definitely was interested in! I'll gladly give you a few of my hard earned dollars.
    03-23-11 03:03 PM

I went through the same thought process when I was trying to decide what to do. It sounds like you want the productivity of a full computer in a portable package. I ended up getting a slate style computer because I needed the ports, and it fit my needs best, but I still want a playbook (eventually) because I think it will be fun. I agree with some of the other posters in here, that as developers get it in their hands, the range of applications it can do will increase. It might be worth it to hold off a few months to further evaluate the mobile computing market in regards to your needs.
    03-23-11 03:05 PM
    why do you need apps?
    you do realize that "apps" and applications are the same in reality. I am sure people have quite a few applications installed on their PC/Macs. your browser is an app, bbm is an app, photo and video editing would all be apps. i have full web browsing on the PC/laptop but i still have probably 100-150 "apps" on my pc/laptop.
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-23-11 at 03:16 PM.
    LikeWebOS likes this.
    03-23-11 03:10 PM
    Is it just me or has anyone else also noted the deathly silence from the apple trolls since the PB released date got announced?
    03-23-11 03:11 PM
    Is it just me or has anyone else also noted the deathly silence from the apple trolls since the PB released date got announced?
    There's one in here

insisting his ipad can watch youtube videos on the desktop site and stuff about the PB being terrible
    03-23-11 03:18 PM
    Lol...yep..so true...the PB trumps the ipad2 by a light year! And everyone knows it!

03-23-11 03:18 PM
    I am hoping there will be plenty of PB apps available at launch. I am REALLY hoping that it will support android apps as that will be a big selling point (at least for me it is).
    03-23-11 03:28 PM
    I am hoping there will be plenty of PB apps available at launch. I am REALLY hoping that it will support android apps as that will be a big selling point (at least for me it is).
    See here's the thing with PB supporting Android Apps. If that were true then RIM would be killing the PB platform on their own.
    Why would Devs make a special effort to make Applications for the PB, when they can make it for Android and sell to the PB crowd as well.
    Don't forget the Android apps will be dumbed down cos it's still pretty much a phone OS.
    I know you want Angry Birds on PB, so does everyone else. But not at the cost of dumbing down the offerings and then have a dumbed down PB 2.0.
    03-23-11 03:54 PM
    Here is a partial list (356 apps) of BlackBerry PlayBook Apps compiled from using Google Advanced Search options and also Apps seen on PlayBookdaily. Excludes "ebooks" and "metro" names.

[Edit] - If you want more info on an App, you can go on your computer to App World. Type in the name of the App to try and search for it.

Name of App /Cost /Description

(Na - App World info page not available. Vendor probably took it down.)

3D Booklet
    4 Aces
    5-Letter Words
    Abacus Free ancient calc
    AirWaves
    Aislee Flash Card
    AnesthesiaICUInfusion Na
    Angular Triangulator $0.99 protractor
    Animal Sounds $0.99 play animal sounds
    Annie’s Memory Game
    Any Beer ABV 0.99 2,000+ beers and their ABV content
    aoPilot
    Applauz Plinko Free plinko game
    Apple Catch
    AppleWorm
    Arabic LetterBox
    Archimedes’ Bathtime Free math game
    ARTPAD
    Asteroid Blast HD
    AusWeather
    Avalanche NA
    Awesome Timer Free timer
    Baby Names
    BalanceBook
    Ball-TRaCK Free game
    Balloon Touch
    BallZ Free game
    Battery Assistant NA
    Billaboard
    Binary Clock for BlackBerry PlayBook $0.99 clock
    Binary Clock for BlackBerry PlayBook $3.99 3-in-1 game
    BlackFeed NA
    BlackJack
    BlackPaper
    Blob Chorus Ear Training
    Blokker
    Blox
    BluePad NA
    Book Keeper
    Bored Room Bingo
    Braille Alphabet Board
    Bubblewrap Deluxe $0.99 pop bubblewrap
    Buddy CRM for BlackBerry PlayBook Free sales management tool
    Business Analysis Toolbox Free Collection of business analysis tools
    C.R.A.S.H. –Car Report Accident Search Help
    Calc by Iancio
    CalConvert
    Calculator Free calc
    Catholic Prayers
    Checkers
    Checklist App $1.99 make a list
    CheckMy Trip
    Chess Clock Free
    Chicken Coop Fractions
    Children’s Piano
    Chinese Calendar and Zodiac
    Classic Timer
    Coaster
    Cogimap $1.99 brainstorm
    Colour Picker V1.0
    Com Calc Pro $0.99 real estate agent calc
    CommuniPix Mobile
    Compass $3.99 search, navigate, bookmark GPS
    Console-Spot Reader for BlackBerry PlayBook Free access articles on Console-spot.com
    Contraction Coach
    Converter
    Converter Pro for BlackBerry PlayBook $0.99 unit converter
    ConvertPro
    Cooking Calc NA
    Countdown Timer Free timer
    Couples Biorythms for BlackBerry PlayBook Free rhythmic biological cycles
    Cowbell
    CrazyEights
    Cricket Terms
    Cronometro Free
    Crystal Ball for BlackBerry PlayBook $0.99 will answer all ur ???s
    Cubing Timer
    CurlBoard
    Currency NA
    Currency Gizmo
    DailyHoroscope
    Dbase NA
    Depth Quest
    Desi
    Desktop Calculator Free calc
    Desktop Web Analytics Free vizualize Piwik stats
    Digital CiDian(Chinese-English dictionary) Lite for PlayBook Free chinese-english dictionary
    DoubanDesktop
    Droids for BlackBerry PlayBook Free game avoid the droids
    Droplets $1.99 puzzle game
    Dungeon Joe
    e-Mobile Color Pearl $1.99 background color changer
    Easy Tipper
    easyTrans translator for PlayBook $0.99 translate btwn 22 lang
    eXpresso for Starbucks� Coffee $1.99 beverage creator
    FaceWrap Free manipulate picture
    Fart Button
    Fast Dx
    Fifteens
    FillErUp
    FindMyTweet
    Finger Magic
    Finger Painting For Babies
    FIRC Free flash IRC
    FireWorks Free/Paid entertainment
    First Aid
    Flash Remote Free control mac & windows media
    Flashcards $1.99 make ur own flash cards
    FlashKids
    Flashlight Free make PB a flashlight
    FlightArc
    FlockConnect LIVE Viewer
    Focal Range Calculator
    Food Journal
    Four In a Row Free 1 or 2 player game
    Freemote Control
    Frog Game
    Front Runner
    Fun Web Cam
    fxChange Currency
    GeeReader Free google reader
    Glow Pong
    Golf Quiz
    GraphIt
    Gravity Burst $0.99 2D shoot'em game
    Gravity Burst Lite Free game
    Gugu Guesser
    HDB Converter
    Health and Beauty
    HexReader 0xB
    Hockey DrillBook 1.85 EUR hockey drill book
    Horoscope Clock
    Horse Play
    HR Music Calendar
    HT Mobile Ticker Free fast match viewer for Hattrick
    HyperBible Free 12versions of the Bible
    iConverter
    IdeaList
    iGoalie
    IndonesiaInYourHand Free tourism directory
    Interceptr
    Inverse Square Law Calculator Free lighting app calc
    Jakarta Busway Map $0.99
    Jigsaw Puzzle: Mosques
    Juniper Green
    JupiterX 3000
    JustDict
    KBlackJack
    KeepUp
    Kitchn Timer
    Kunvertr Free Unit Converter
    Lecture Notes $1.99 take notes. Handwrite, type, sound record
    Letter Rain $0.99 learn to type on PB AHazDesigns
    Lexitron
    License Plate Game
    LifeCruncher
    Lights Off
    Little Man Computer
    Live water
    Lonely Turret
    LPlayer Free stream music for last.fm
    Lux Convert Free lighting conversion app
    Macro Light
    Magic Fortune Cookie
    Magic Guess Ball
    Mancala
    Mandelbrot Free entertainment
    MapPlan Free edit/plan routes trips
    Marbles
    Masters of Mayhem
    Math Quiz
    Math Reference
    MathBook
    Mathemind
    MaxPlanner
    Memorina Na
    Memory Jungle $0.99 puzzle game
    Memory4Kidz
    meStudying: Algebra I
    meStudying: Frog Dissection
    Mimic $0.99 simon like game
    Mindmaps $1.99 brainstorm
    MoneyConvert
    Monkey and Banana
    Monster Match
    Morse Code Generator
    Morse Tapper
    MousePad Na
    mSudoku
    My Black-List! Free put'em on your blacklist
    My Expenses
    My Grade Tracker
    My Grocery Book
    My Notes
    My Portfolio
    MyFlashCards! 0.99
    MyStopWatch
    NabazBero
    News and Weather
    NFL Scoreboard
    NiXiE Thai Dict
    No Frills Sudoku
    Operators
    Papillon Converter $0.99 unit converter
    ParkoMinder Free parking meter timer
    Pashto Alphabet
    Peg Solitaire $0.99 game by starwood labs
    Percussion
    Perfect Ricochet
    Periodic Table
    Photo Importer
    PhotoConnect Free Free photo app
    Piano
    picco Gallery
    Picture Puzzle Free game
    Picture Slider
    Pill Reminder
    Pixel Idols
    Pixelated Plus
    Pizza Stuff Calculator
    PlaneRace
    Platinum for BlackBerry PlayBook Free periodic table
    PlayCreator
    Pocket Portrait Lighting $1.99 photography
    Pong 0.95 EUR game
    PriorityFeed
    Programming Calculator
    Project Time Tracker Free utility
    Psychrometrics Deluxe
    Pulsr Free create music loops
    Puzzle Slider $0.99 3-D puzzle game
    Puzzle Timer
    Puzzler
    QE Mortgage Calculator $0.99
    Qrossfire
    Quadratic Free solve quadratic for roots
    Quadratic Equation Solver Free
    Quest
    Queue Manager
    Quicknotes
    Quran Navigator
    Rabbit Chase
    Rack’Em NA
    Radiant Design Utilites
    Ragalahari
    Read It Now
    Reading Birds
    Record On Time
    Remote for Roku Free for now control Roku player
    REST Bed
    Retirement Countdown for BlackbErry PB NA
    RIDGID Digital Level
    Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock $0.99 game
    Romanian weather Free
    RPNCalc NA
    Rss text Reader for PlayBook Free RSS reader
    Ruler Free ruler
    Run Hamster Run
    RutasMty
    Safety Talks - Construction Volume 1 $11.99 training aid
    Safety Talks - Construction Volume 2 $11.99 training aid
    Safety Talks - Fire Safety $11.99 training aid
    Safety Talks - First Aid $11.99 training aid
    Safety Talks - Health and Safety $11.99 training aid
    Safety Talks - Working at Heights $11.99 training aid
    SandDrops Na
    Save My Cheese $0.99 game
    SavingGoals
    SCC Prospectus Free
    Scientific Calculator $0.99 sci calc
    Scribbler
    Sea Diving
    Secret Cod3s
    Sense of Time
    sequenced
    ServerMin
    SGF Viewer Free game/SGF file viewer
    SHDaily HD Free English window to news of China
    ShortenThis! Free url shortening
    shrinkBit
    ShuffleMeter
    Siddur $0.99 Shaharis,Mincha, Maariv
    Simon Plus
    Simple Money Manager
    simpleEMS Free ambulance call report solution
    Sketch Block
    Sketch-N-Save $0.99 canvas for sketches
    Smith Chart Calculator
    Space Trek
    SparkChess
    StackOplay
    StakeholdersASSIST 4.99 Stakeholders analysis tool for project managers
    Steady-Tick Metronome $0.99 tempo
    StoryMasher $0.99 interactive stories
    StoryMasher Christmas $0.99 interactive stories
    StoryMasher Free Free story maker
    Strong Password Generator
    Students
    Sum It Up
    Summer Garden Na
    Super Air Hockey Free game
    Super Bible Trivia 0.99 game
    Swear Pig Touch $0.99 curses! Pay the pig
    Talk Clock $1.99 talking alarm
    Task Scheduler Free utility
    Ted
    Telicost Mobile Free Telicost account, realtime reports
    Telnet Client
    Testsstore Free do Free tests
    The Adventure of Beatrice: Coloring Book $1.99
    the Art of War
    The Bible Trivia Game Free game
    The Big Package Free package tracking
    The Nap App Na
    Tic Tac
    Tic Tac Toe (21043)
    Tic Tac Toe (21868)
    Tic Tac Toe (25329)
    TicTacToe (28571)
    TicTacToe Kids
    Tilebreaker X $1.99 brickbreaker like game
    Time Calculator
    Timer
    Times table cloud click game
    TimeZones Free up to 8clocks
    Tins Free simon like game
    Tiny Memory
    Toast Timer Free timer
    Today in History
    ToDo
    Toothy Adventures
    Touch Painter $0.99 paint/draw
    Transient Recorder $0.99 record, preview, trans-code
    Turn Out The Light!
    Turtle Converter Free unit converter
    TweetFind Free
    Twit Trends
    UConverter
    Uk Income Tax Calculator
    Ultimate maps for Blackberry PLayBook $3.99 map app
    Unit Converter $0.99 200 units 16 catagories
    UnitConverter Free converter
    url it
    uTrack Lite
    VDE Scoreboard $3.99 scoreboard
    Weather Calendar Free display date/weather US only
    Whaxi Free Hail a taxi to your location
    Wheel of Life
    Whiteboard
    Whiteboard+ Free jot notes or whatever
    WordPower
    WordSearch XL
    World Clocks
    xCalc $2.99 sci calc
    Xlator Free 52 language translator
    zaWeather Free weather app
    Last edited by mjlin2002; 03-23-11 at 04:15 PM.
    03-23-11 04:13 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD