Just like the title asks, is it possible to develop an app for the playbook without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on software like Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 ($699)?
    05-10-11 08:28 PM
    Use Blackberry WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS V 2.0 and follow all the guidelines / instructions etc. they have clearly documented all th instructions.

The SDK itself is FREE on Blackberry.com and it has other needed components as well

OR

if you need here is a direct LINK

I have downloaded and installed it on my PC and everything works as expected.
    However I have not created any apps yet.

I have one big question is do we have get licenses from the original application vendors to develop apps ?
    But I think there is a work around on this- If we find good open source code / applications we can develop apps out of it.

Let others chip in here....
    JeePak likes this.
    05-10-11 08:57 PM
    there are a few AS3 editors like SEPY but they arent that good, you could code the mxml and stuff by hand in advanced text editors (notepad++ and the like).

or if you want to go webworks then any free html editor (again notepad++) should sort most of it.

but in honesty for the money its worth the professional programs for stuff like seeing what your building etc. for example with the web design pack you can make your prototype in fireworks, build all the full images/components in photoshop, import the .psd into flash catalyst and set everything like scrollers etc up, then import that .fxg file into flash builder and most of your coding for layout is done already for you.

additinally you get dreamweaver in that same pack, so writing webworks apps would also be possible. its not cheap, but its good value for money
    JeePak likes this.
    05-10-11 09:03 PM
    so your saying that to use the webworks sdk i pretty much have to write the entire app in notepad++?

I know the adobe flash builder is great for the money, i just dont have it to begin with lol

i just have a few ideas that i figured id give a shot at making some of them but dont have the means to shell out that kind of dough yet
    05-10-11 09:20 PM
    so your saying that to use the webworks sdk i pretty much have to write the entire app in notepad++?

I know the adobe flash builder is great for the money, i just dont have it to begin with lol

i just have a few ideas that i figured id give a shot at making some of them but dont have the means to shell out that kind of dough yet
    iv not used webworks personally, as my app is done in flash, but first thing you need to figure out is which route ya wanna take as they offer different pros and cons.

flash builder is for air apps not webworks so ya need to make that choice first really based around what ya want to do, then look at the appropriate tools for the way ya want to make something
    05-10-11 09:30 PM
    Good grief.. Is Flash Builder really that expensive? I thought it was only like $250 or so..

Bummer..
    05-10-11 09:40 PM
    I see now that Standard Edition of Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 is only $249. The Premium Edition, on the other hand, is $699..

As for the major differences between the two version, the marketing page at Adobe is here:

Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 | FAQ

To summarize what it says, the Premium edition comes with:

- memory and cpu profilers
    - network monitors
    - unit testing framework
    - command line build tools
    - a few other nice items..
    05-10-11 09:52 PM
    If you use WebWorks you'll build your app just like you'd build a website. You can use Notepad or a full IDE like Eclipse, whatever you want.

That said, it appears that for now the AIR SDK is a LOT more mature and has a lot more features than the WebWorks one. I've done some apps in WebWorks but I'm planning on diving into AIR because more is possible that way. Or the upcoming NDK of course but that's C++ which is something I know absolutely nothing about...
    05-10-11 11:38 PM
    i would like to develop a simple manager to have the ability to change the fonts.

would really like to use tabitha.
    05-11-11 03:08 AM
    If you are a student check out some of the student deals adobe have
    Also a free alternative for writing AS3 code and compiling swf-s is Flash Develop ( Main Page - FlashDevelop ) probably the best free flash IDE imo.
    05-11-11 03:37 AM
    Ahh, I didn't see the standard edition of flash builder, that's a little easier pill to swallow lol but still a little out there as I'm still paying off 1000 worth of playbook and accessories..

I personally know nothing about any form of app development, figured I'd get my hands dirty and turn some wrenches. Using webworks would it be possible to write an app like poynt or something that intensive?

What are some good examples of webworks applications?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 04:23 AM
    alright, well i got everything downloaded but when i try to run the VMware it shows this error
    05-11-11 07:02 AM
    alright, well i got everything downloaded but when i try to run the VMware it shows this error
    Move the simulator files out of your program files (not VMware, the actual image files) directory into your document folder or something else. Or you could run VMWare as administrator.
    JeePak likes this.
    05-11-11 07:32 AM
    Yes as someone that uses VMWare a lot in day to day work, this is usually due to copying the Virtual machine to a directory with insufficient access rights. I place mine usually in My Documents in a VMWare Machines folder. And I usually run them as an administrator as suggested above. Though if you want to try other accounts, and experiment with access rights, you certainly can. Off hand just not worth the effort unless you really have to operate the VM machine under particular access policy.
    JeePak likes this.
    05-11-11 08:06 AM
    I had the same issue. The fix is pretty simple

Go to windows explorer
    Go to Research in Motion folder
    Right click and go to Properties - open 'Security' TAB and select your username in the user group box and click 'edit' and check full control box in the lower box ( where permissions are listed)
    make sure you have all permissions ( full control ) over that folder. You need to edit the permissions and grant yourself the full control on the entire folder and its sub-folders ( of course it does that once you say OK)

so change the [permissions and you should be good to go.
    JeePak likes this.
    05-11-11 08:37 AM
    yup im with everyone else here, either move the sim files, or change the folder attributes, personally i have a seperate folder for all my sims, keeps things where i can see them and makes it well easy to copy a sim if i need to (sometimes get delete errors when trying to remove an app)
    JeePak likes this.
    05-11-11 08:52 AM
    Thanks guys, i tried all the suggestions just cuz lol, its working now.

Well since you all seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, is there some place where i can read up on how exactly to go about writing applications through notepad or wherever? I saw the webworks opensource thing and am going to have a looksee through there as well.
    05-11-11 10:24 AM
    Before I got my Playbook I decided that I wanted to test out features so I got a Kobo book, on Java Programming (i should have done more research) now that I have been reading the forums, I am unsure as to what language/ program I should be using going forward, especially now with the phones going to V7 which is different again.
    Also what is the current program to write a website, in case it is the same software? I am out of the loop as someone else made mine before and I really need to update it?
    May I get a summary please on what to use going forward to make a Playbook and a Phone app.
    05-11-11 10:46 AM
    Before I got my Playbook I decided that I wanted to test out features so I got a Kobo book, on Java Programming (i should have done more research) now that I have been reading the forums, I am unsure as to what language/ program I should be using going forward, especially now with the phones going to V7 which is different again.
    Also what is the current program to write a website, in case it is the same software? I am out of the loop as someone else made mine before and I really need to update it?
    May I get a summary please on what to use going forward to make a Playbook and a Phone app.
    for making a website you`ll need something that edits html/css/php/jquery (dependant on how far ya want to take the design).

for OS7 it`ll run java and webworks apps, webworks being around the same html/css/php/jquery frameworks as a website would just you can add device integration too through API use.

for playbook it`ll run air/flash and webworks apps.

which tools you use is really down to preference, personally i use adobe stuff, because as i mentioned earlier some of their packages, while not cheap, do most of what you need. from a basics point of view though something such as notepad++ can do css/html/php/jquery editing rather well too.
    05-11-11 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD