Major Thanks go out to HaTaX for the vids on how to install and test the beta (for want of a better phrase) - Android Player.

Having installed it, and had a play with it for a few hours now, Im absolutely staggered at how this is going to change playbook and its usage.

Ive been hunting all over for a decent (free) RDP client, and (Putty-like) client for PB for ages now - and within minutes, Ive got both up and running on Android player, working like a charm.

I work in IT for a corrugated packaging company, and Ive fought against the Ipad invasion since the turn of the year, in favour of waiting for playbook (since we run BlackBerry's, it made sense to wait for Playbook) - and now, my users can access all our manufacturing systems from outside the network!

Thank you RIM, you deserve some praise after all the bashing you've had of late - if you can get this out to the mass market now....
    stevejb, HaTaX and southlander like this.
    08-08-11 08:21 AM
    Exactly! I find the option of being able to run Android Apps a huge bonus. I'm getting tired of the responses from several companies saying "we currently have no plans... blah blah". I know it is difficult budget/timewise for developers embrace a new platform where the userbase is a fraction of their existing platforms.

So without the Android Player that would leave me as a PlayBook owner in the dark. I would be refreshing App world everyday in hopes that some developer would take pity on us and develop a PlayBook port of their App.

But with the Android Player I now have a choice. I can find the missing Apps, that would make my experience better, on the Android Market.

I'm currently using these Apps:

RDP (For working remotely)
    Trillian (For chatting with my friends on multiple networks. History synced between all devices)
    Overdrive Media Console (For ebooks/audiobooks from my local library)

I can't wait for the official release.

I would like to thank Hatax for all the hard work he has put in getting the Android Market running.
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-08-11 12:16 PM
    Exactly! I find the option of being able to run Android Apps a huge bonus. I'm getting tired of the responses from several companies saying "we currently have no plans... blah blah". I know it is difficult budget/timewise for developers embrace a new platform where the userbase is a fraction of their existing platforms.

So without the Android Player that would leave me as a PlayBook owner in the dark. I would be refreshing App world everyday in hopes that some developer would take pity on us and develop a PlayBook port of their App.

But with the Android Player I now have a choice. I can find the missing Apps, that would make my experience better, on the Android Market.

I'm currently using these Apps:

RDP (For working remotely)
    Trillian (For chatting with my friends on multiple networks. History synced between all devices)
    Overdrive Media Console (For ebooks/audiobooks from my local library)

I can't wait for the official release.

I would like to thank Hatax for all the hard work he has put in getting the Android Market running.
    What rdp app are you using? I've been try different ones and they don't seem to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 01:21 PM
    What rdp app are you using? I've been try different ones and they don't seem to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Remote RDP Enterprise

See the sticky post of working Android Apps for a link.
    Erandhawa likes this.
    08-08-11 01:25 PM
    Remote RDP Enterprise

See the sticky post of working Android Apps for a link.
    yea i just had a noob moment haha. I used that when android player came out (just completely forgot about it with the installation of the market and system wipes) works well. I've been downloading different ones from the market the last couple days trying to see if they work any better. I like the one by Wyse Technology - Wyse PocketCloud RDP App for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Android devices just not compatible yet. I'll be sure to post if I find any others that work.
    alegs likes this.
    08-08-11 02:43 PM
    does netflix work with android player, or has anyone gotten it to work
    08-08-11 07:37 PM
    does netflix work with android player, or has anyone gotten it to work
    Not working
    08-08-11 07:51 PM
    I was reading yet another article this morning about hackers targeting Android apps, largely due to lapses in screening prior to apps being placed in their store.

Will RIM recertify the Android apps placed in BB AppWorld?
    08-08-11 08:21 PM
    I always thought the Android stuff was more for enterprise support anyway.
    08-08-11 08:34 PM
    I was reading yet another article this morning about hackers targeting Android apps, largely due to lapses in screening prior to apps being placed in their store.

Will RIM recertify the Android apps placed in BB AppWorld?
    They have to. Appworld still has it's own submission/approval process for all apps.
    08-08-11 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD