Android has several apps that can play .mkv movies such as DicePlayer and MX Video Player. The Playbook, however, has none.....unbelievable!

This should be one of the top 10 apps that need to be developed.
    02-22-12 02:11 AM
    get to work......Earthbrain....CB abuser...
    Last edited by Xenocryst; 02-22-12 at 02:45 AM.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-22-12 02:42 AM
    I have not turned on my 64 GB Playbook until today. It has been 2 months since I turn it on. I turned it on today because I knew about the new OS version and want to try it out.
    It is better than the older OS version. I like it.
    However, I still don't see that many good apps. I thought that by this time there would be an app to play .mkv movies.

Anyway, I will be back playing with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (with 64 GB memory card for movies). It is better than my Playbook in so many ways. Watching 720p .mkv movies with DTS sound track is great using MX Video Player or DicePlayer.

Playbook....why are you so behind?
    02-22-12 02:55 AM
    Did anyone try sideloading MX Video player?
    02-22-12 02:58 AM
    convert it. mkv is not a widely used format. although great quality. convert them to avi. divx does it for free
    02-22-12 03:17 AM
    Isn't moviesrt player capable of playing .mkv files? You can contact the developer to make sure.
    02-22-12 03:18 AM
    I'll gladly buy your playbook...
    02-22-12 03:31 AM
    someone, ANYONE please make a video player to play MKV's so i can just drag and drop them straight to the PB!

this was the ONE thing i really wanted from the update and i am VERY disapointed it is not avaliable!

i am more than happy to pay for the app just want it NOW lol

someone must be able to port it over?
    02-22-12 04:29 AM
    Android has several apps that can play .mkv movies such as DicePlayer and MX Video Player. The Playbook, however, has none.....unbelievable!

This should be one of the top 10 apps that need to be developed.
    Wow guy, you sure are negative. Just looking at your last 10 post has been nothing by BB bashing. Alright so you love your Android so move on and sell or give away your PB if it's troubling you that much.
    Superfly_FR and Boodrew like this.
    02-22-12 05:40 AM
    Reading your history ... dude, you bought the wrong device.
    Make an offer to sell it, and save your time !
    02-22-12 05:43 AM
    Erm....is that it, the one thing some people wanted? Really?
    02-22-12 05:48 AM
    Actually, I did move two mkv files over yesterday. One played - it has the "appropriate" audio coding. The other did NOT play - wrong audio coding. I did not try with moviesrtplayer. I guess I can move the file back again...

edited to add: moviesrtplayer actually does NOT even show either of them. Whereas the native video app shows both but only plays the one with correct sound.
    Last edited by F2; 02-22-12 at 11:16 AM.
    02-22-12 11:02 AM
    The new OS does indeed have native mkv playback, but there are several limitations. To start, audio codecs like AC-3 for Dolby Digital or DTS will not work. The same can be said about MPEG2 video.

While the native file browser will not find the files, the third party ones can. If you need to play MKV, I would suggest getting something like HandBrake and re-encoding the files into MPEG4/h.264 video and AAC audio for MKV. It is what I have had to do for every DVD rip done by MakeMKV.
    02-22-12 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD