Stop this 99 cent crap and make a trial version. Then charge a for your app accordingly. Then more people can try your apps and give you better feedback. There is nothing worse than paying for a 99 cent app and it doesnt work. Then you look on your Visa bill and see a bunch of 99 cent charges. Just my 99 errrr 2 cents.
    fbloise and VanCity778 like this.
    04-08-12 06:53 PM
    Not sure if I agree. Making a trial and full version seems like extra work for the dev's. I guess if the app was $4.99 or $14.99, but I usually look at the screen shots, reviews, and most importantly the post on cb before buying an app. I've spent around $50+ so far, just waiting for more things that interest me
    04-08-12 07:46 PM
    I'm not sure how it would be more work. The op suggested a trial version, not a free version. So one app, that is time bombed after say 7 or 14 days if a license file isn't found...... Easy peasy
    chongman and baldo like this.
    04-08-12 10:05 PM
    I would appreciate more trial versions... I have no doubt that I would have more apps on my PB if I could try a few first...
    baldo likes this.
    04-09-12 04:40 AM
    I think RIm must have this regulation whenever submitting a paid app. Dunno.
    04-09-12 04:44 AM
    I'm guessing there's no refund button like on iOS and Android? I would be pretty annoyed and have my cc provider try and pull the cash back but I guess RIM would probably revoke market access that way.
    04-09-12 04:56 AM
    Either an extended refund period of at least 24 hours or a trial period that expires. RIM needs to make it easier to try out apps. The reviews in App World are very untrustworthy. I have reviewed many apps, only to never see these reviews. There are apps that have been out since day one with no reviews or ratings. Many that I have reviewed. With that and the higher prices vs iOS and Android, keeps many away from PlayBook.

Have not searched forum yet, isn't possible to have multiple devices on one App World Account or do you have pay for the apps for each device with in family?
    baldo likes this.
    04-09-12 07:51 AM
    I agree that we need a better refund policy. PS3, XBOX, Apple, Android and Blackberry. There is this "Buy at own risk" theme". There needs to be some more online spending laws that need to be placed in most countries around the globe.

Should all apps have a trial version ? No. Should McDonald's have a trial BigMac for every customer ? I'm sure we would all love one but it doesn't make business sense.
    04-09-12 07:58 AM
    I agree that we need a better refund policy. PS3, XBOX, Apple, Android and Blackberry. There is this "Buy at own risk" theme". There needs to be some more online spending laws that need to be placed in most countries around the globe.

Should all apps have a trial version ? No. Should McDonald's have a trial BigMac for every customer ? I'm sure we would all love one but it doesn't make business sense.
    I think physically tangible goods like food are quite impractical to have a "trial". True that... Some do have trial in form of samples at grocery shops .

In software and services however, these things are quite easier to do a trial as the developer can just simply add or remove features on a product that is built once and distributed (unlike physical items that are done quantity-wise) making it pretty practical.

Sure it is extra effort but take note : how can you sell software if you don't advertise it. Trial is the best form of advertisement as it immenses the user on the experience it brings. It may not guarantee a sell, but it will also allow to bring people closer to a sale.
    04-09-12 08:10 AM
    Either an extended refund period of at least 24 hours or a trial period that expires. RIM needs to make it easier to try out apps. The reviews in App World are very untrustworthy. I have reviewed many apps, only to never see these reviews. There are apps that have been out since day one with no reviews or ratings. Many that I have reviewed. With that and the higher prices vs iOS and Android, keeps many away from PlayBook.

Have not searched forum yet, isn't possible to have multiple devices on one App World Account or do you have pay for the apps for each device with in family?
    You can use a single BBID on multiple devices. Apps will be supported on each device provided that a version is available for that device.

If you suspect review manipulation or you are not satisfied with a product, send an email to the following address along with receipt and your reason for requesting a refund. I suggest that you contact the developer first to see if you can resolve your problem. I sometimes get a poor ratings form a customer because of user error or simple misunderstandings. Unfortunately, I can't help you if I can't talk to you directly.

If you cannot get satisfaction from the developer, tell RIM about it and they will usually give you a prompt refund. Hereis that email address: [email protected]
    04-09-12 08:12 AM
    With Apple. many apps never get past the splash screen...by design. They have a terrible application approval process, and the refund procedure is just cumbersome enough that people don't seek out that paltry .99 refund.

RIM does a better job... although the reviews are completely bogus. This site is the only one I trust when evaluating apps.
    04-09-12 10:58 AM
    I agree it should be easier. Problem is RIM doesnt have a lot of prebuilt stuff for Trials. And developers are scared of effing up trial releases are or unsure on how to make a trial version.

I dont because I am lazy to be honest and I dont want to deal with two copies is all. But I have thought about it.
    04-09-12 10:59 AM
    I think RIm must have this regulation whenever submitting a paid app. Dunno.
    And you wonder why RIM is going down the drain.
    04-09-12 11:19 AM
    And you wonder why RIM is going down the drain.
    Really.....first I've heard of it. Anyway, an app could be downloaded for say, a 7 day trial, after you have provided your payment method. If during this trial version, you don't like it, then the app developer might want to have a "purchase now" screen, or "cancel purchase" available so you can make your choice. If you fail to make an election within the 7 day trial period, then the app is yours. That would be fair.
    baldo likes this.
    04-09-12 11:25 AM
    Doesn't RIM provide a way to use trials.
    When your submitting your paid application, you can choose either Paid, Paid with 7 Day Trial, and Paid with 24 Hour Trial(?)... I don't remember...
    04-09-12 11:27 AM
    Doesn't RIM provide a way to use trials.
    When your submitting your paid application, you can choose either Paid, Paid with 7 Day Trial, and Paid with 24 Hour Trial(?)... I don't remember...
    You can upload a trial version together with the version for purchase. The developer can decide how the trial version should behave. For example, the developer can make it commit suicide after 5 days if that is what he/she wants.
    04-09-12 11:31 AM
    Bogus reviews (even here) is all the more reason for a trial version. Everyone has different equipment, expertise and wallet. Most of my apps I have paid for are because I got to kick the tires first. I can tell you hundreds of stories where people say an app is great and another person says they cant get it to work. When I buy a house or a car I get to try it out first. The refund procedure for Blackberry is excellent. But just imagine the cost of refunding 99 cents on your Visa. I suspect that many devs and Blackberry got together and said instead of a trial...just charge 99 cents....no one will ask for a refund lol
    04-09-12 11:32 AM
    Really.....first I've heard of it. Anyway, an app could be downloaded for say, a 7 day trial, after you have provided your payment method. If during this trial version, you don't like it, then the app developer might want to have a "purchase now" screen, or "cancel purchase" available so you can make your choice. If you fail to make an election within the 7 day trial period, then the app is yours. That would be fair.
    Look at their stock price/shakeup.
    04-09-12 11:34 AM
    With Apple. many apps never get past the splash screen...by design. They have a terrible application approval process, and the refund procedure is just cumbersome enough that people don't seek out that paltry .99 refund.

RIM does a better job... although the reviews are completely bogus. This site is the only one I trust when evaluating apps.
    Apple has a litany of guidelines that an app must follow or else it risks being rejected. One of them is that the app cannot crash during testing! (This is rather ironic since Apple apps crash all the time. For example, iMovie just crashed on me twice this morning.)

So unless Apple has not been launching the submitted apps during testing, there is no way you can have apps that never get past the splash screen.
    04-09-12 11:34 AM
    Look at their stock price/shakeup.
    I have; I own 3500 shares now, and I'm not worried in the least. I bought Apple back in the day before Steve came back, and friends and family thought they should invoke the Baker Act* on my azz. Guess who's laughing now?

* Check FL Statutes on Involuntary Commitment for Psych Evals.
    04-09-12 11:41 AM
    All I know for certain is that I ended up buying "Files & Folders" because after trialing it for free for a couple of days, I realized the app worked well and offered good value.

Between the OP and me that makes at least two people who think free trials are a good idea that will result in increased sales volumes for quality apps. I'm sure there are others out there who feel the same!!
    04-09-12 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD