Hi Everyone,

These are not android apps.

I've submitted a lot of apps to RIM over the last while and they have only prevented two from being released. Well, rather than allow that work to die in vain, I wanted to post the bar files here so anyone can use them. They aren't the greatest applications but they certainly serve a purpose.

Added May 6/2012
    Here is a gVoice app I drafted up Enjoy. One for PB users. One for Dev Alpha BB10 users. Once I have a BB10 device, I'll make it better and uniform. Cheers.

http://www.filearchivehaven.com/downloads/beta

Updated Nov 1, 2011

Desktop Browser
    Download: OLD RELEASE: http://www.filearchivehaven.com/down..._1.0.5.199.bar
    Download: OLD RELEASE: http://www.filearchivehaven.com/down..._1.0.5.200.bar
    Download: OLD RELEASE: http://www.filearchivehaven.com/down..._1.0.5.205.bar
    Download: NEW RELEASE: http://www.filearchivehaven.com/down..._1.0.5.206.bar

Updated Jan 17, 2012
    Secure Browser 1.0.7 Released
    Download: OLD RELEASE: Secure Browser 1.0.6 (no longer available)
    Download: OLD RELEASE: Secure Browser 1.0.6 SP1 (no longer available)
    Download: NEW RELEASE: Secure Browser 1.0.7

The older Desktop Browser will always remain here and available for free.

How To Install Desktop Browser: DDPB Installer
    How To Download: The file downloads as a .BAR. If you received a .ZIP, you may need to rename your file to load it. It is best to right click on the file, select SAVE-AS and call the file: "DesktopBrowser.BAR" (with quotes) when saving.

What is it: This is my simple browser alternative.
    Features:
    Version 1.0.5.206
    - (Netscape, Opera, Konqueror) User Agents Added
    Version 1.0.5.205
    - (iPad 2, Playbook) User Agents Added
    - Version # added to help screen (now you know if your up to date finally)
    - Thanks to Hatax - Fixed the New Tab causes browser to crash bug
    Version 1.0.5.200
    - Validates HTTP better
    Version 1.0.5.199
    - Toggle user agent (FireFox 5 default, IE7, Chrome, Safari, BB9800, Android 2.3)
    - Supports HTTP, HTTPS, FILE, DATA and JAVASCRIPT
    - Enable privacy
    - Set default font-size (16px by default)
    - Launches faster than stock browser
    - Bigger 'viewing' space than stock browser
    - SWIPE down from the top to access the options

Why use it: Allows you to always bypass mobile versions of websites.
    Limitations: Single tab only.

Google Desktop +
    Download: http://www.filearchivehaven.com/down...esktop_1.0.bar
    How To Install: BlackBerry + Android, and thank you DDPB Installer | File Archive Haven
    What is it: Someone is selling an app that launches Google in Desktop Mode
    Why use it: Well this is the same thing, only free. And integrated.
    Issues: Single tab

Now, why is this browser so important? Well, lets just say that 'certain' websites always push you to their mobile counterparts so you cant enjoy their full line of products. Guys, this will let you bypass those problems by making the websites think your are using a different type of browser.

Plus, you cn see how websites are treated differently. RIM is delaying the release of these two applications indefinitely because they conflict with an existing RIM product (native browser) and an upcoming product you aren't supposed to know about (google+).

Enjoy They seem to work ok on OS2.

And yes, this browser should work on certain adult themed spin-off versions of youtube, google +, and many others.
    Last edited by KermEd; 05-06-12 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Updated!
    10-21-11 01:59 PM
    You Rock. Thanks.
    10-21-11 02:10 PM
    you certainly do rock!!!! was having some issues getting iPad/iPhone pages but this is amazing!!!!!!! I'd easily pay for the desktop browser!
    10-21-11 02:11 PM
    you certainly do rock!!!! was having some issues getting iPad/iPhone pages but this is amazing!!!!!!! I'd easily pay for the desktop browser!
    I started to implement style-sheeting too, so you could 'override' some website defaults with your own stylesheet. That way you can change hte default fonts, etc on everything.

But contrary to the QNX API list - the stylesheet command doesnt work yet. If it gets fixed in OS 2 - I'll add it to this package and post the updated pack here for you guys.

Glad you like it. Oh and dont open a link in a new tab, it just exits the browser.
    10-21-11 02:25 PM
    I'm a Blackberry user that is pretty well informed on the consumer side of things, such as finding ways to find the best solutions for anything I want to accomplish on my phone. With BlackBerry, you have to be creative sometimes.

I read your post and thought it was interesting. It's more technical than what I'm versed in. Are these downloads for a desktop or my phone?
    10-21-11 02:28 PM
    I'm a Blackberry user that is pretty well informed on the consumer side of things, such as finding ways to find the best solutions for anything I want to accomplish on my phone. With BlackBerry, you have to be creative sometimes.

I read your post and thought it was interesting. It's more technical than what I'm versed in. Are these downloads for a desktop or my phone?
    Good question! These applications are pretty much just optional web browsers for the Blackberry Playbook. And tells websites you are using a 'desktop' PC. This way, it doesnt try to block flash, or advanced HTML that it thinks your device can't support.

In theory, this same browser might be able to be ported to future QNX/BBX phones when they are released. Which is important because websites strip content for mobile users that isn't necessary for QNX/BBX or Playbook users.

For mobile devices using Java based BlackBerry OS - I highly recommend Bolt browser instead. It runs great on my older phones.
    10-21-11 02:38 PM
    Thanks RIM! Either make your products work like this or let others fill the void. Two e-mail clients released early in Playbook's life and while they may have had issues, RIM probably blocked both because of the Unicorn that is Native e-mail on the Playbook.
    10-21-11 02:46 PM
    Awesome, thanks for the upload. If you'd like to continue supporting this project, I do have one request... a password/login system that remembers and auto-populates form passwords. That would be so killer, nobody would ever use the stock browser again and RIM might have to buy you out :P

Either way, thanks for the great work. Maybe with the new "open" approach to development, they'll allow stuff like this down the road. Email Alec Saunders and ask him why your apps were denied!

Edit: Just tried out the app, and I've got some feedback... requiring me to put in "http://" every time I enter a URL is kind of silly. What was the reason that RIM denied these?
    Last edited by supraking; 10-21-11 at 03:40 PM.
    sqa4life likes this.
    10-21-11 03:29 PM
    Well, looks like I wasn't the only one bitten by the "This application is competitive with included BlackBerry software on the device" bug! Sorry to see you got shanked as I did, and actually I chased it for 2 months and decided they just don't give a rip and will do things as they wish. This was for my browser called SimpleBrowser, I was going to add more features and such to it, but saw no need when they denied it.

Hopefully they'll change their attitude, but I wouldn't bet on it...
    10-21-11 03:41 PM
    I wonder if a developer would be allowed to develop apps for sale outside of App World that can then be sideloaded? Any lawyers or licensing experts around?
    10-21-11 03:47 PM
    Excellent!
    Made my day!
    10-21-11 03:50 PM
    Doesn't fool Hulu, but it works on another site that could be useful... Thanks.
    10-21-11 03:56 PM
    I wonder if a developer would be allowed to develop apps for sale outside of App World that can then be sideloaded? Any lawyers or licensing experts around?
    Sure you can, nothing illegal about it. Here's the hurdles I came across when entertaining this idea:

1.) User has to be in development mode, not as user friendly as a "one click" installer.
    2.) Application security, BAR files are easily given to another user so issues with piracy arise.
    3.) Deployment involves a PC, you still need to load from a computer and not via PB browser.

All those issues aside, I was able to wrap the program responsible for deploying apps to the PB into a JLNP application that could easily be deployed via a web browser on Windows, OSX, and Linux systems. Worked well, but still had the issues above listed. Not really sure how big the market is for "Rejected RIM apps", so I doubt it's useful for much more then just seeing if it could be done.
    10-21-11 03:58 PM
    Questions;

How long did you wait before posting here?

And does RIM give you reasons for not publishing these kind of apps?

Oh, and you are my hero, absolutely awesome work, thank you.
    10-21-11 04:02 PM
    Well, looks like I wasn't the only one bitten by the "This application is competitive with included BlackBerry software on the device" bug! Sorry to see you got shanked as I did, and actually I chased it for 2 months and decided they just don't give a rip and will do things as they wish. This was for my browser called SimpleBrowser, I was going to add more features and such to it, but saw no need when they denied it.

Actually, I gave it about a month and a bit of 'pending' when I saw your posts. I noticed my tickets with RIM fell on deaf ears and decided to just get these posted sooner. I figure,d most people using my browser would be developers anyway. So its not going to be hard for them to sideload em :P But yeah, it was annoying heh.

Anyway, someone mentioned the HTTP - I really debated on that. I have code that can 'guess' HTTP if it is missing. I left it out for now because its accepting many different headers (ie javascript://, https://, ftp://) but I might enable that as the default when a 404 occurs on the url.

Good suggestion. I'll add itot the bug/feature list for next release.
    10-21-11 04:09 PM
    Questions;

How long did you wait before posting here?

And does RIM give you reasons for not publishing these kind of apps?

Oh, and you are my hero, absolutely awesome work, thank you.

I waited ~ a month and a bit, with several support tickets. I even have multiple pending 'service packs' stuck in limbo with it for both applications. All of my other apps were approved within 48 hours (business time). Usually they give you a reason, but lately they just move it to 'pending testing house' and never let it advance. Because, really, who can we complain to

Anyway, If they ever dislodge it - great it can be grbabd through the appworld. But I'd rather you guys just installed it if you want it anyway.
    10-21-11 04:11 PM
    Doesn't fool Hulu, but it works on another site that could be useful... Thanks.
    Try: Swiping down, change the Agent from FireFox to Internet Explorer. And you need to revisit the original URL. Might work if you change the user agent a few times to one they like.

Also, I could make the user agent editable if anyone needs.
    10-21-11 04:13 PM
    I waited ~ a month and a bit, with several support tickets. I even have multiple pending 'service packs' stuck in limbo with it for both applications. All of my other apps were approved within 48 hours (business time). Usually they give you a reason, but lately they just move it to 'pending testing house' and never let it advance. Because, really, who can we complain to

Anyway, If they ever dislodge it - great it can be grbabd through the appworld. But I'd rather you guys just installed it if you want it anyway.
    This sounds exactly the same like IM+ from shape-services.

Not good and not acceptable, specially if they don't give reasons to good developers.
    But this is the quality stuff I was waiting for on PlayBook.
    10-21-11 04:23 PM
    so now all we need is someone to develop an automated Bar installer app that will do all of the side-loading 'heavy lifting' for us...
    10-21-11 04:24 PM
    Anyway, someone mentioned the HTTP - I really debated on that. I have code that can 'guess' HTTP if it is missing. I left it out for now because its accepting many different headers (ie javascript://, https://, ftp://) but I might enable that as the default when a 404 occurs on the url.

Good suggestion. I'll add itot the bug/feature list for next release.
    If you want a simple fix, here's the line of code from SimpleBrowser that checks for a "://" in the entered URL, if it isn't there, it automatically adds "http://" to the front of the entered text.

Code:
                    if (addressInput.text.indexOf("://") > 1) {
                        webView.loadURL(addressInput.text);
                    } else {
                        webView.loadURL("http://" + addressInput.text);
                    }
    KermEd and Sansu94 like this.
    10-21-11 04:30 PM
    This needs to be posted on the front page.

I would have pursued it until it was approved, but that's just me.
    10-21-11 04:34 PM
    now thats a nice clean speedy browser

thanx a lot
    10-21-11 04:39 PM
    Some really generous people on here. I haven't gone to the beta and probably won't. Will we be able to use your browser when the real OS update comes out?

Thanks for efforts!
    10-21-11 04:55 PM
    Not really sure how big the market is for "Rejected RIM apps", so I doubt it's useful for much more then just seeing if it could be done.
    I think there is a difference between "rejection" and "impatient", or feel "bitten" by the current system.

Just look at the iPhoneDev team and their continual attempts at jailbreaking the iPhone.

In reality, that's sort of what we're needing to do so we can make the device actually useful. We don't want to wait so we're doing it ourselves.

****, we've got the Google Form for submissions. We've got a spreadsheet that can be turned into a database. I think we've actually got enough people to start our own, dare I say, "CBBDev Team" (crack blackberry)??

I may not be one of you hackers, but I have no qualms about being the community manager.
    kbz1960 and mz. yaya like this.
    10-21-11 05:09 PM
    Awesome, thanks for the upload. If you'd like to continue supporting this project, I do have one request... a password/login system that remembers and auto-populates form passwords.
    That is what LastPass for the Dolphin Browser was supposed to do, but it doesn't work.

LastPass, the application itself works, and while it's not as easy to use on the playbook as it was in the original Android Player (worked w/ native browser), it does give you the ability to copy and paste the passwords. It's free just for the desktop, and only $12 a year to get it on your mobile device (multiple devices and multiple OSes, unlike Sling and SmrtGuard).

Perhaps you could look to see if you could connect LastPass into your Desktop Browser?

I think they've got a dev site somewhere.
    10-21-11 05:14 PM
158 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD