Ok, both the wife and I have BB Tour's. We will be able to upgrade in the January/ February timeline but given the awsome sales going on at staples I kinda want to get a Playbook now. My wife doesn't want me to spend the money on 2 playbooks (I'm a nice guy) if she can't use the Bridge with the Tour. Can anyone speak definitively that the Tour can Bridge with the Playbook with no problems and no hacks or modifications (I'm not excessively tech savvy). Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 12:44 PM
    I don't see why not. I've never had the Tour, but I've had the first BlackBerry Storm which is a much older phone and it worked just fine. BTW, the Storm was on OS5. Hope this helps.
    09-26-11 12:57 PM
    It will work perfectly fine.

Go get em tiger.
    09-26-11 12:59 PM
    The only thing to be aware of is if you are with at&t, the version of bridge available through App World will not give you the Bridge Browser.

However, if you download (OTA) the Bridge application that is available to other carriers then you will have the Bridge Browser.
    09-26-11 01:06 PM
    It'll work great and you can prove it to yourself right now. Go to App World on your phone, find the BlackBerry Bridge app and download it. If the app installs on your Tour (and it will), you're all ready to connect to your PB when you get it.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 09-26-11 at 01:46 PM.
    09-26-11 01:11 PM
    Cool.....thanks everyone! I've got Verizon so the AT&T thing shouldn't be an issue. And the Bridge app downloaded on my Tour no problem. Thanks again!

09-26-11 01:18 PM
    Cool.....thanks everyone! I've got Verizon so the AT&T thing shouldn't be an issue. And the Bridge app downloaded on my Tour no problem. Thanks again!

You can also test with no security issues if you find a place with a working pb. You can bridge to the one in the shop and test it. Then just delete the bridge as you leave the store - you data stays on the phone.
    bounce007 likes this.
    09-26-11 02:36 PM
    I have the Playbook and the Tour. No issues. When you unbox and setup the Playbook you will get the latest OS, and then you'll just need to download the Bridge on the Tour from Appworld, go through the Bridge setup and you're done. I'm running standard OS from my carrier on my Tour, I don't waste time with hybrids. Their have been issues in the past versions, but RIM seems to have this current one down pretty good.
    09-26-11 02:46 PM
    You can also test with no security issues if you find a place with a working pb. You can bridge to the one in the shop and test it. Then just delete the bridge as you leave the store - you data stays on the phone.
    ...And this is why F2 is a Crackberry Genius of Geniuses - not because of his number of posts but because of his helpfulness and ingenuity! Hats off to you Mr. F2!
    FF22 likes this.
    09-26-11 02:48 PM
    STOP.

Listen first... not every BB tour out there is on OS 5.0. If it is not on OS 5.0 you will not be able to bridge. Check before you buy.
    09-26-11 04:43 PM
    ...And this is why F2 is a Crackberry Genius of Geniuses - not because of his number of posts but because of his helpfulness and ingenuity! Hats off to you Mr. F2!
    (blushing) - I try to help when possible. I've moved through any number of platforms over the many years (another birthday was yesterday). From the hp palmtops and beyond, to a Creative MP3 player, to garmin and other gps units to bb phones and playbooks and kindle. As some might attest, I'm also not shy about pointing out the weaknesses or limitations of the various devices. And each one has had its share of weaknesses.

Before I purchased the pb, I did take my 9650 to BestBuy and hook up the bridge. So I was able to test that aspect. And ending the connection kept my data on the phone. Of course, I guess there should be a warning - if you download something (not email, that's on the phone) it could be saved on the pb so don't dowonload anything private. Email attachments can also be saved to the phone. And if you take the pb into a changing booth and photo/video something, well, that could remain on the pb, too. (altho, I gather if it is running in official demo mode, that stuff does get erased).
    09-26-11 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD