Hello, I'm very interested in learning how to develop software and applications, so my question to you guys/gals, is, What course or class can I take to learn programing?

I wanted to go back to school for electrical engineering, but Im still confused on exactly what I want to do, an if its the right course to study.

I want to create gadgets, like phones, mobile devices, and futuristic tech'. I wonna learn both sides, hardware, and software.

Can anyone give me some advice? As a consumer I have so many great life changing ideas for humanity and just gadget lovers. I figured if I can actually learn how to put these things together, I can maximize the potential of all available technologies that are out there, and create amazing products. I also wonna deal with Nano Tech too. ( I know, im trying to learn to much, an I should focus on one thing.) but the thing is, that I love all of it!!
    07-05-11 10:04 PM
    If you want to learn about software development the first thing you must learn is that google is your friend. Never ask a question until you have used google and other available search tools to do your own research.

If you want to write an app for PlayBook you need to learn how to write Actionscript programs. So type something like "actionscript 3 tutorials" into google and take it whereever it leads.

Once you have mastered the programming language you can apply that knowledge to creating a PlayBook app. Since PB is a BlacKBerry device, you have to obtain the necessary tools and resources from the BB website. So type something like "blackberry playbook development getting started" into google and follow that path.

To create apps for your storm you need to learn a different programming language (Java) and you need a different set of tools from the BlackBerry website.

Now all this is fine and good, but you will not be able to write excellent apps until you learn all about software design and object oriented programming techniques. Failure to learn learn about general software engineering and user interface design before uploading apps to App World is one of the main reasons that you hear so many complaints from consumers on this particular site.

So this should be enough information to get you started. Remember - Google is your friend. Good luck.
    07-06-11 03:01 PM
    So this should be enough information to get you started. Remember - Google is your friend. Good luck.
    You, Sir, are a kind soul..
    07-06-11 03:04 PM
    We are ALL going to be nice, OR we are not going to say anything. Isn't that right gang! [action]silently swinging mod stick[/action]
    07-06-11 03:21 PM
    ummmmm.... right you are.
    07-06-11 03:24 PM
    Wow! Im ashamed of myself for expecting condescending sarcasm. Well done!
    07-06-11 03:29 PM
    Electrical Engineering is a good degree for your interests. You have to take some programming courses as part of the curriculum. Some places offer double major Electrical and Computer Engineering degrees with an additional year of study. I had to take two C/C++ classes and a microprocessor course doing assembly on Motorola processor. Could have take some more with electives.
    07-06-11 04:08 PM
    Electrical Engineering is a good degree for your interests. You have to take some programming courses as part of the curriculum. Some places offer double major Electrical and Computer Engineering degrees with an additional year of study. I had to take two C/C++ classes and a microprocessor course doing assembly on Motorola processor. Could have take some more with electives.
    If I were starting out today, I would be inclined to do it this way. You will get the basic training in software engineering that I believe is so important. Meanwhile you could get get some practical experience and maybe earn some money by independently developing apps for mobile devices.
    07-06-11 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD