When I first installed this program and ran it for the first time, it ask whether I want to have it access files in my playbook. It says that I can change the option in the setting later on. So instead of allowing it, I unchecked that box to not allow it (I saw the security disclaimer so I was a little worried).

So then, when I open this program, it would give me an error of "Access to video dir denied!"

There is no way for me to change the setting to allow it to access my files.

So just like that....I lost $1.99 without even get a chance to try out this app.

Is there a way to fix this? I tried to uninstall it and then install it again, but it seems like it still remember my setting and still would give me the error message of "Access to video dir denied!"
    06-02-11 12:13 AM
    Yes, you change Permissions in the Options/Security location. App Permissions is the first listing there.
    06-02-11 12:21 AM
    Yes, you change Permissions in the Options/Security location. App Permissions is the first listing there.
    Thanks.

Learned something new everyday.

However, I still have a big problem.

Now there is no more error message of "Access to video dir denied!" but has a drop down option message "Select your video"

However, when I click on this drop down option, I only see a white blank field without anything to select. I don't see a single video file. I have many .mp4 video files in the Video folder.
    06-02-11 12:41 AM
    Did you try scrolling down the field? And how did you get those files on the PB?

I think I have discovered that if I copied some video files to my pb using wifi-sharing, they do not show up. Last night as I went to bed I was recopying files to the pb using the usb cable. I don't know the results of my experiment yet.
    06-02-11 08:57 AM
    Did you try scrolling down the field? And how did you get those files on the PB?

I think I have discovered that if I copied some video files to my pb using wifi-sharing, they do not show up. Last night as I went to bed I was recopying files to the pb using the usb cable. I don't know the results of my experiment yet.

I never use wi-fi to transfer files to my PB. I always use the usb cable. It is faster.

Yes, still have problem with this app with not seeing anything in the drop down field.
    06-02-11 03:55 PM
    I never use wi-fi to transfer files to my PB. I always use the usb cable. It is faster.

Yes, still have problem with this app with not seeing anything in the drop down field.
    i transfer via wifi when its one file. if im wondering aimlessly around the yard i use vnc to access my system check if the convert/download is done then transfer it over. but if its a larger amount i do it via usb.

So just like that....I lost $1.99 without even get a chance to try out this app.
    the one reason i kinda like droids market place was that it gave a 5min return time if you didnt like it, and it was no questions asked. that was the only thing i did like though.
    06-02-11 04:11 PM
    I don't know why some videos are "virtually" missing but show up in the PB's Video App. But I do know that I was "missing" 7 videos. They did show up when I looked at the pb as a drive. They did show in the Video app. But they did NOT SHOW in 3 different file managers and they did NOT SHOW in MovieSRT. Over last night and this morning I copied those files OFF THE PB and back to my computer. Then I removed them from the PB. Then I copied them back. Now they all show up in the MovieSRT app and in the 3 file manager apps. So something is oddball about the way the files are written to the pb's "index" (for want of a better term) which hides them from "prying eyes" and certain apps.

I'd try the copy, delete, re-copy routine and seeing if they turn up.

No one seems to be reading/replying my threads on these phantom files. I should probably take this to rim's support forum.
    06-02-11 04:24 PM
    Are those videos in a subfolder? i believe the app doesnt recognize videos in subfolders, they have to be on the root directory.
    06-02-11 04:31 PM
    I don't know why some videos are "virtually" missing but show up in the PB's Video App. But I do know that I was "missing" 7 videos. They did show up when I looked at the pb as a drive. They did show in the Video app. But they did NOT SHOW in 3 different file managers and they did NOT SHOW in MovieSRT. Over last night and this morning I copied those files OFF THE PB and back to my computer. Then I removed them from the PB. Then I copied them back. Now they all show up in the MovieSRT app and in the 3 file manager apps. So something is oddball about the way the files are written to the pb's "index" (for want of a better term) which hides them from "prying eyes" and certain apps.

I'd try the copy, delete, re-copy routine and seeing if they turn up.

No one seems to be reading/replying my threads on these phantom files. I should probably take this to rim's support forum.
    I wil try your method and delete all the video files and copy them again.

However, I have a 64 GB Playbook and I have so many movies in it. It will be a pain in the **** to delete them then transfer them back.
    06-02-11 05:22 PM
    Okay, I, too, am getting exasperated. I just copied two more avi files over with two srt files. They do NOT show up. They are definitely on the pb and in the Video folder. As are the .srt files. They also are not showing in the Explorer type programs. They play in the Video app.

So obviously, the PB is at fault. It is clearly not recognizing when certain files are copied and making their whatabouts known to 3rd party apps.

I am trying again to forcefully copy the DAM! files.
    06-02-11 06:06 PM
    Earthbrain:

One more suggestion to try. I was just successful and it may have been dumb luck. Used usb and Windows' Explorer to move and copy files around the pb.

I MOVED the files from the Video folder on the PB to the PRINT folder on the PB. I only chose it because it was empty! Then I COPIED the files from the Print Folder to the Video folder. They showed up finally in the Filer apps and in the MovieSRT app. I was just watching 20th Century Boys with subtitles!!!!

I promise nothing. I will erase the extras in the Print folder. I think forcing the pb to actually WRITE information in the indexing/db/file system of the pb might be the push it needs????

Good luck
    06-02-11 08:22 PM
    New version available - supposedly works with subfolders. I have not downloaded it yet. A few other tweaks.
    06-03-11 12:19 AM
    watch online from playbook crackle.com i promise it works
    06-03-11 06:23 AM
    New version available - supposedly works with subfolders. I have not downloaded it yet. A few other tweaks.
    Last night I upgraded to version 1.7 but it still does not work for me. I don't see any video files. I am going to delete all movies in the "Videos" folder and transfer a few of them back to see if it would solve the problem.
    06-03-11 09:36 AM
    I finally got mine to show up except for my largest one. It is a 2g movie I made of a trip. It plays fine. And while it does not require or have subtitles, it is an example of a "missing" video file. What continues to be odd is that while I'm copying it, it shows up in the file-manager apps but once completely on the pb, it is also showing in MovieSRT while it is being copied but then disappears. So I think that one is a problem with the file size. Right now it shows as about 56megs copied. And it continues to show.
    06-03-11 10:05 AM
    I finally got mine to show up except for my largest one. It is a 2g movie I made of a trip. It plays fine. And while it does not require or have subtitles, it is an example of a "missing" video file. What continues to be odd is that while I'm copying it, it shows up in the file-manager apps but once completely on the pb, it is also showing in MovieSRT while it is being copied but then disappears. So I think that one is a problem with the file size. Right now it shows as about 56megs copied. And it continues to show.
    So is that the problem? Big video size file?

All of my h.264 mp4 video files are in high-profile and they are all over 3 GB in size. Some are even 6 GB - 8 GB 1080p movies. I have a 64 GB Playbook so I pack in a lot of big size movies. I buy the Playbook mainly for movie watching. I have the 3G Xoom, 3G Galaxy Tab, and 3G 32 GB ipad to do other stuffs.

On a side note, I also bought the app called My File Manager . It is an app to manage files/folders. However, when I click on the folder "Videos" I also cannot see any movie files in there. It seems that all of my movies are non-existent. I can play all of my movies without any problem using the default Playbook movie player.

This is so strange.

I am surprise not a lot of people are having this problem. Is it due to the QNX OS?
    06-03-11 10:49 AM
    I don't think that big video size file is the problem either.

I have some small video files of "Young Justice" and "The Avengers" in 720p and they are only about 600-700 MB each episode and they still don't show up.

I also soft reset my Playbook but it still has not solve the problem.

The funny thing is, MovieSRTPlayer and My File Manager are only two apps that I have ever bought since I owned the Playbook back in April and they are the only two apps that do not work right for me. All of the other free apps that I got from the market work for me. How strange.
    Last edited by Earthbrain; 06-03-11 at 11:06 AM.
    06-03-11 11:01 AM
    I have started a thread on the official Rim support forum:

Re: Some videos are semi-missing - they do not sho... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

It is not JUST file size. Because some of the others that did not show up at first were smaller. A few were in the 400-700mb like yours and one was as small as 32,000kb.

I don't know the file system - just checked - NTFS but obviously the PB is either not appropriately updating the info for files or it is NOT sharing that info with 3rd party apps or 3rd party apps do not know how to use the info. Maybe this is because the developers' kit is still not out and the apps are using a much more limited set of tools.

I did manage to get the smaller ones to show. I think copying them to another folder and then copying them to the Video folder helped. And not just drag - as that does not physically copy the file only moves its entry in the ntfs "log."

I think I will contact MovieSRT programmer and ask if he can "refresh" the cache or folder contents in some fashion.
    06-03-11 11:16 AM
    ..... I think copying them to another folder and then copying them to the Video folder helped. And not just drag - as that does not physically copy the file only.....
    Wow, that is going to be a real pain in the behind because of my large size video files. It is already bad enough that it takes quite a long time to transfer large video files from my desktop to the Playbook via USB cable.

Now that I have to copy it to a different folder and then again copy them to the Videos folder would take 3X the amount of work.

I think that I will just use my 7" Galaxy Tab to watch .srt movies for now until this problem resolves.
    06-03-11 11:24 AM
    I just sent the programmer a message about the problem. I sent a link to this thread and to the one on Rim support.

The physical copy did not work for the 2gig file but did work for the smaller ones - at least, eventually. And, yes, it was tedious!
    06-03-11 11:29 AM
    Hi!

I've read your your topic with great interest!

Thanks for the work already done.

Actions that I'm going to undertake:

- Try to recreate the problem (never had those kind of problems)
    - Having a good look at the file/folders API
    - Try to contact others developers with the some problem

Question:

If there is 1 program (except for the default apps) that doesn't have that kind of problem, please let me know. Maybe , maybe I can contact the developer.

Regards,

Steve

MovieSrtPlayer : BlackBerry App World - MovieSrtPlayer for BlackBerry PlayBook
    06-04-11 05:35 AM
    Hi!

I've read your your topic with great interest!

Thanks for the work already done.

Actions that I'm going to undertake:

- Try to recreate the problem (never had those kind of problems)
    - Having a good look at the file/folders API
    - Try to contact others developers with the some problem

Question:

If there is 1 program (except for the default apps) that doesn't have that kind of problem, please let me know. Maybe , maybe I can contact the developer.

Regards,

Steve

MovieSrtPlayer : BlackBerry App World - MovieSrtPlayer for BlackBerry PlayBook
    06-04-11 06:01 AM
    Steve, here's what I posted over on the Rim forum:

I have what I call 3 file manager apps. File Browser, Air Browser and File Commander (the older free version).

They all show or don't show the same thing. So files are missing. And SIZE is not the sole determining factor. When I was testing MovieSRT and "lost" some files I copied and renamed avi and .srt files. So there are two extra .srt files in the Video folder. But while they are 32kb (kilobytes) and 58kb respectively, they do NOT show up in the File managers. The other two identical files with the names matching the .avi files do show up. The one very large mp4 (2gb) does not show up. A subfolder I created just as a test does not show up. But the large mp4 and subfolder were showing up while I was actively copying the 2gb file - they would show up as the file was being copied - the filemanagers showed the file getting larger and larger and while doing so the "missing" subfolder also kept showing up. Then once the large file was completely copied, both it and the subfolder "disappeared" - again, the large mp4 does show in the Video app and it plays.

My persistence probably is based on the fact I was a computer programmer many eons ago! Also, I was trying to get YOUR app to work and the avi files were not showing up in your listing but they were showing and playing in Video app (but no subtitles). Finally, after copying/moving/re-copying over and over including moving and copying to the PB's Print folder (just since it was empty) and copying it back to the video folder (now 2 copies), the files would finally show up. Peculiar - yup!

Oh, one other thing - the 3 file managers all show what I will call the virtual Playbook-Demo video in their listings - your app does NOT show it. Obviously, it is not located in the Video Folder but somewhere in the bowels of the PB. So, the filemanagers are relying on some "file structure" that is not fully correct. But your app does not appear to show it.

There are two other file managers I have not purchased so I don't know if they show these "missing" files or not!
    06-04-11 09:25 AM
    Cool,

I'm have a look at the API but apparently I'm not the only app with the same problem.
    Big change it's a glitch in the API.
    By the way, the mini MoviesrtPLayer browser does detect the 'Playbook-Demo' video but I hardcoded it that way that it doesn't show up.
    It's a protected file that only can be played with the default player ...

I'll keep you up to date!

Steve
    06-05-11 05:23 AM
    Thanks for checking.

See a FileManager thread for more discussion:

Here's Page 3 but you can go back a page:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/ne...98/index3.html
    06-05-11 08:14 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD