Excuse my copying and pasting from my blog for this post - I think it contains useful information for fellow developers and I don't really have the energy right now to retype it to be more forum-friendly.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from AppWorldReport.com, which "provides free sales and download analyses based on your downloaded reports from BlackBerry App World™. Just upload the App World™ .csv file and you get a detailed report that you can view online or download as PDF."

Neat. I've already briefly mentioned my dissatisfaction with the reporting that BlackBerry App World offers the graphs are nearly worthless, and the CSVs made available for download need to be transformed at least minimally to be turned into something useful. Now, however, weve got a tool to do the job for us.

The first chart offered up was a summary of the number of applications I ran the report for and its overall sales (a number Im seeing today for the first time). Over 13,000 downloads of Lemma, working out to about 200 downloads a day:

The report then went into the number of downloads per hour, per day of week and per day of month fun enough to see visualized, though perhaps not all that useful.

Next up, a list of the applications I ran the report for (just one), and a pie chart for the various devices using Lemma:

Not too shocking, that.

Use of OS 1.0.7.0 dominated with 97% of all downloads, with OS 2.0 devices only garnering 351 downloads to date. With the input bug fixed in OS 2.0, hopefully thatll soon change.

The last interesting chart in the report concerned the country in which the downloader listed themselves as residing within. Unsuprisingly, Canada topped the list, followed closely by the United States, Mexico, the United Kingdom and Indonesia:

Im not sure I learned anything useful from running the report through AppWorldReport.com, but I suspect thats mostly due to Lemma being offered for free. I do however encourage my fellow app developers to give this service a try its free, easy to use and worthy of at least one longish blog post!
    11-01-11 08:10 PM
    I stayed well away from AppWorldReport.com, mainly because although they do note in the fine print at the bottom that it's entirely unrelated to App World and RIM, the whole email from them was such a thorough attempt to trick me into thinking it was some official RIM-supported venture that I decided I want nothing to do with them.

Also, I can probably make the above graph and chart in Excel or OpenOffice in a few minutes if I really want to see it. It's straight out of the CSV data you get in the report from the real App World, right?
    312 likes this.
    11-01-11 08:32 PM
    I'd recommend Distimo Monitor (We Know App Stores | Distimo). Let's you track multiple apps, from other app stores too, including your competitors. They are a legit company, located a few minutes from my place.
    11-01-11 09:56 PM
    they started sending out spam email 2 years ago to all developers on appworld. they harvest the data from appworld illegally. First I thought the email was coming directly from RIM.

What they dont tell you is they save your reports on their servers and sell them to 3rd party vendors. they also publish a book with appworld summary data at $10 a pop.
    11-02-11 12:53 AM
    Yeah I saw no reason to feed those trolls my information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 02:15 AM
    I stayed well away from AppWorldReport.com, mainly because although they do note in the fine print at the bottom that it's entirely unrelated to App World and RIM, the whole email from them was such a thorough attempt to trick me into thinking it was some official RIM-supported venture that I decided I want nothing to do with them.

Also, I can probably make the above graph and chart in Excel or OpenOffice in a few minutes if I really want to see it. It's straight out of the CSV data you get in the report from the real App World, right?
    No chance in hell I'm uploading my data to that site. Not only does it look cheap, but that email sure was shady.
    11-02-11 03:28 AM
    I always dislike and refuse to deal with companies that purposely try to trick people into thinking they are associated with or part of a bigger company.

I remember we used to have these contractors come around every year who called themselves "The Gas Company" (they literally named their company that) and pressured people to let them complete annual maintenance, saying that it's mandatory.
    11-02-11 12:29 PM
    What surprised me about this is that it is showing 13000+ DLs and AppWorld is showing 45 reviews.
    This used to be my informal barometer on how many apps are being downloaded. I was guessing that one in ten would leave a review. Apparently I was wayyyyy off.
    With this same ratio it might be that some devs are making a decent living off of the PB already?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-11 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD