"I think this is very telling, and a bit sad IMHO.
    We are here people that deliberately chose not to go with Apple and Google duopoly, we knew this meant less choice for apps and still deliberately made the move -and on the first occasion we rush back into Google's arms."

Summed up very nicely.

I agree. Being able to backup to your own devices is crucial. FTP, ssh, samba share, are important. Most desktop NAS boxes are capable of these services. If we are going to use a cloud service for backing up, then encrypting the stashed database is a must.

If I had to choose, then samba share is my top pick, then ftp after that.
    Herve5 likes this.
    10-21-12 01:26 PM
    before i buy Groovy Notes can i check that the calendar syncs with the native calendar as I use Gmail to sync my BB Torch PB and PC
    The little calendar inside Groovy Notes does not sync with the native Playbook calendar, and indeed like for the contacts I'm not sure this is allowed/documented by RIM.
    (I discussed for instance with O2 Interactive, developers of a quite nice "Personal Assistant", asking why their contacts list didn' sync with the original PB one. Answer: not allowed by RIM now.)
    Back to the Groovy Notes calendar, it's helpful to detect in one glance what notes you did take in the past month, but nothing will appear in the Playbook calendar alas. Maybe in a future version, maybe in relation with BB10 system (ideally the attached files should also appear then)
    Last edited by Herve5; 10-25-12 at 04:19 AM. Reason: notes color do not appear in the calendar in fact, so one see them there but not differentiated
    10-22-12 02:34 AM
    Hi Xlabz,
    can you please make an app like notes plus in ipad that will be very useful for us to take notes..
    10-24-12 10:59 PM
    The example of Files & Folder is striking, IMHO, because they are not the best file manager: File Browser, for instance, is three times faster on startup, twice more reactive too, and has a more efficient GUI allowing to walk anywhere in a folder's above hierarchy in just one click.
    And still, F&F did raise to the top of the fashion apps, even if just for a while, because presumably of their cloud support*.

I think this is very telling, and a bit sad IMHO.
    We are here people that deliberately chose not to go with Apple and Google duopoly, we knew this meant less choice for apps and still deliberately made the move -and on the first occasion we rush back into Google's arms.

And nobody to mention a simple ftp sync would bring the same ease, without big brothers...

The issue is even more general: RIM themselve propose Gmail as the way to sync your contacts (ordinary imports no way), and I suspect even in the fanatic Linux world we'll find 90% of the people proudly announcing of course, they are Google-integrated.
    After this... we get what we deserve... (and RIM too)

H.
    (*) they are also very good at image handling (that's for their capacity to slideshow from any folder I bought them)
    OK.
    1). What does IMHO stand for?
    2). As I stated, "Just my judgement, not speaking for all of the Crackberry Kingdom". As you would more than likely be told by the Admin, please respect the views and opinions of other forum users and don't attack them for what they say. Next time be a little more careful in how you state your opinion so that it doesn't come across as an attack.
    3). SMH
    stillpointworks likes this.
    10-25-12 08:07 PM
    Mr.C05

IMHO = in my humble opinion

Thus, Herve5 has an opinion too. An opinion I am in agreement with.

He brought up very important points in his critical assessment. The reliance on cloud storage should be optional for backing up our data. Not the only way. It certainly didn't come across as an attack when I read it. I would rather have people be frank in explaining concerns than beating around the bush.
    Herve5 likes this.
    10-26-12 12:01 AM
    Mountainlab, thanks.
    H.
    10-26-12 01:20 AM
    Hi, since I have changed my Playbook (now 64GB) I can not connect Groovy Notes to my Dropbox. Everytime I want to backup my notes the window to connect appears again and after typing my credentials it says connect successful. In the dropbox settings is no entry for Groovy Notes. Any ideas? Thx.
    11-20-12 01:25 AM
    Hi, since I have changed my Playbook (now 64GB) I can not connect Groovy Notes to my Dropbox. Everytime I want to backup my notes the window to connect appears again and after typing my credentials it says connect successful. In the dropbox settings is no entry for Groovy Notes. Any ideas? Thx.
    I think this is an issue addressed a bit earlier in this thread, there. Tell us if it works!
    H.
    11-20-12 03:18 AM
    Hi, I already tested this but it doesn't work. I waited 5 min. but the view stays.

edit: Problem solved. I've changed the language on the DB website from german to english. Now it works.
    Last edited by matula; 11-20-12 at 05:29 AM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    11-20-12 04:00 AM
    edit: Problem solved. I've changed the language on the DB website from german to english. Now it works.
    Definitely insightful!
    Thanks for posting this.
    ( Now, if our dear XLabz devs would consider adding a wider, ftp-based sync capacity... I just would repay the app for this! )
    H.
    mountainlab and Techno-Emigre like this.
    11-20-12 06:22 AM
    Hi, I already tested this but it doesn't work. I waited 5 min. but the view stays.

Hi! We were just going to suggest changing the language to English Glad that you figured it out! This issue is happening right now due to Dropbox's recent update. We will be looking into this and will resolve it in the next immediate update.
    11-20-12 08:23 AM
    FWIW, there has just been a new update (dec.04), but apart from a new advertising button that permanently eats up GUI surface just for the sake of showing off the other apps from same dev, I don't see new features. Maybe I'm wrong?
    H.
    P. S. There is no info on XLabz site; also, the ad-button brings just a blank pane when off network... don't be surprised
    Last edited by Herve5; 12-04-12 at 09:17 AM.
    12-04-12 08:21 AM
    FWIW, there has just been a new update (dec.04), but apart from a new advertising button that permanently eats up GUI surface just for the sake of showing off the other apps from same dev, I don't see new features. Maybe I'm wrong?
    H.
    P. S. There is no info on XLabz site; also, the ad-button brings just a blank pane when off network... don't be surprised
    Hi Herve! This update includes an update to the DropBox API and fixes a issue which prevented some people from backing up data to DropBox.
    Herve5 likes this.
    12-04-12 10:57 AM
    Does it have ads in it now? I paid for the app. I don't want your ads.
    mountainlab likes this.
    12-04-12 08:04 PM
    Does it have ads in it now? I paid for the app. I don't want your ads.
    Hi! No, there are no ads in Groovy Notes. We've just added a small XLabz button. Clicking it allows you to leave a review for us on the App World, request for support, shows you our other apps etc. We assure you there are no ads which take up valuable screen space or interfere with your experience.
    12-04-12 10:59 PM
    Hi! No, there are no ads in Groovy Notes. We've just added a small XLabz button.
    Technically there are now... Just one button click away. As a customer, I kindly ask you, XLabz, to please remove them.

I already bought other apps from you guys. If I wanted other ones, I can find all your apps on the app store easy enough.

To anyone else, is there an easy way to go back to version previous without the ads?
    BerryClever likes this.
    12-04-12 11:37 PM
    Here are some screenshots for people to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Groovy Notes by XLabz-groovynotes_ads_0.jpg   Groovy Notes by XLabz-groovynotes_ads_1.jpg   Groovy Notes by XLabz-groovynotes_ads_2.jpg  
    12-05-12 12:43 AM
    Have to agree, totally support XLabz up selling to other products but maybe use an option in the settings, rather than the button on each Page.

Gordon
    mountainlab likes this.
    12-05-12 09:32 AM
    okay. that button doesn't look so bad. I agree with the other guy that it might be better placed in a drop down menu or something. I'll go ahead and upgrade to try out the new features. thanks guys.
    Herve5 likes this.
    12-05-12 09:50 AM
    Yes, I think a drop down menu is needed with options/settings, help, and an about button. In the About should have your ads. It will clean up your screen of some buttons and also allow you to up sell without looking poorly for it.

Edit: this is my advice on all your products, because I see that you decided on this for them all, even Vault, which seems to be dying (to be fair it is for business reasons. You said you haven't hit enough sales to do any medium or large updates to it).
    mountainlab likes this.
    12-05-12 11:30 AM
    Re: the XLabz button placed on the top of the note/pages. I see no purpose to place it there. For what compelling reason do we need quick access to this? Previously, it was for more often used tools, the arrow to maximize the note, (the discoverable help), then audio recording.

What I don't have a problem with is taking this stuff (like contact xlabz, and a link to their app world store), and stick it all into a menu in the gear icon in the lower left. It actually makes a lot more sense to put it there.

I also see that uber iris and vault got updates too.
    12-05-12 01:37 PM
    I tend to agree. The button placement has nothing to do with the content on the page. How does that button enhance the document we are writing? At the very most, it interrupts our writing to display BlackBerry World. Bump the button while taking notes during a lecture and you're SOL. If I were taking notes during a meeting and missed writing information because BlackBerry World popped up, you can be sure I would not buy any more apps from that vendor.

I have no problem with the idea of a link to apps someplace, but it would be more suited to not be on that page. Having it on the Settings page, or an About screen is much more appropriate, especially for a paid app.
    12-05-12 03:57 PM
    As a daily user of Groovy Notes I also think the buttons content is better suited in the menu or some other location than where we spend significant time working in the program. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea in theory but not practical for your users. Sorry guys.
    12-05-12 08:32 PM
    OK, I see I personally triggered quite a storm on this button, and I am ashamed.
    I do agree with most here that this button would be much better located in some place where daily use doesn't rush it to our faces constantly -indeed that's what I said in my OP.
    But now, we must consider XLabz is a very interesting developer for us, bringing many different apps, and 'trans-platform' at that: he may be one of the very few people advancing Playbook apps at the very same pace as iPad ones.
    Honestly, I'm a happy customer of Groovy Notes, that I selected after a long comparison, and field-tested really hard, with a large number of notes and attachments now.
    I definitely don't want to look pissed off for what after all is a minor nitpick. Yes I'd love to see this button move elsewhere, but definitely I won't slam the door now -on the contrary, I appreciate this update that improved DropBox behavior. (and dream of integrating FTP sync too )
    12-06-12 05:27 AM
    I would like to dive into a real issue with GN which is the pop up keyboard covering the editing area when you get to the bottom of the page. i know this has been mentioned before and I know you can do carriage returns to move the page up, but considering the app is a text editor it would be nice to correct this annoying glitch. Anyone agree?
    12-06-12 06:03 AM
225 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD