I am no gamer as would be obvious if you saw me trying to get through the first level of this game. I have no idea of what my object is, how I should deploy, etc. My guys get killed every time.

Can someone give me a tip or two to get started? Thanks.
    06-05-12 05:27 PM
    Are you playing skirmish or campaign? The campaign has instructions and objectives. In a skirmish, kill the bad guys and capture their hq (sat dish looking thing).
    jventola likes this.
    06-05-12 07:15 PM
    Try this one?

06-06-12 05:48 PM
    Thanks. That video was useful.
    What about the direction of the rifles? Some of my grunts seem to want to do some fragging, alas. Is there a way to control shooting direction or is it a non-issue?

In any case, I think I can make some progress now. I was playing it like GO--merely placing the men in the circles. I didn't know I could actually control individual shooting.
    06-07-12 03:18 PM
    Glad it helped.

With your own man selected, you click on the enemy you want him to shoot at, that's it. The amount one troop/tank type does to another is something to be discovered, but it's important to remember that whatever damage one attacker will do, it's reduced in proportion to how damaged he is.

In other words, a 50% damaged grunt will do 50% less attack damage than he would at full health. And that does put the emphasis on firing first, as the counter-attack is attenuated by the damage you just did to him.
    jventola likes this.
    06-07-12 03:27 PM
    When you're on 'offense' (tour turn to deploy and move guys around), you can shoot at any enemy that is within range of one of your guys. Ranges change for different types of pieces. Example, grunts can reach from 1 to 3 spaces away, while snipers can reach 2 to 4 spaces away (a good thing to remember for taking out an enemy sniper -- they can't shoot you if you're right next to them). When you tap one of your guys, you'll see little red numbers over any enemy that is within range of it. That number represents how much damage you'll do to it. 100% is a total kill.

When it's the enemy's turn, your pieces automatically return fire when they are fired upon, as long as they aren't killed first.

Your pieces also get promoted when they kill three enemies, which makes their attack strength higher (ex, a promoted grunt can take out an enemy soldier with one shot). There's tons of cool little things like that throughout the game. Replay the early skirmishes to see what pieces are more effective against other pieces. Like, a recon tank will do 75% damage on another tank, but only something like 15% damage on a grunt. Some pieces are only effective against certain types of enemies. There's a little chart that shows what they are when you buy them.

Now if somebody can help me out -- I have been stuck for over a week on the Super Safe Harbor campaign (mission 7 of 10 in All Out War). Made it down to one day left just once, haven't been able to come close since. Any suggestions are more than welcome!
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 06-07-12 at 06:37 PM.
    RubiconDev and jventola like this.
    06-07-12 03:40 PM
    The fount of all knowledge is right here btw, very friendly bunch:
    Rubicon Development • Index page
    sleepngbear likes this.
    06-07-12 04:06 PM
    The fount of all knowledge is right here btw, very friendly bunch:
    Rubicon Development • Index page
    OK, one thread there has a strategy that one guy says he used to beat that level. I've tried it several times and it just doesn't work. I get down to 2 days remaining and I'm toast. Any other sources? Or anybody else here have any suggestions for Very Safe Harbor? Very frustrating, 'cos the game has been a lot of fun up to this point.

Update: the link provided by RubiconDev is a very helpful forum for all their games. Thank you again to those guys for helping me through a total brain-lapse.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 06-08-12 at 08:14 AM.
    06-07-12 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD