Hey Everyone,

Got a quick question for you all

gReader is basically the "unofficial" official Google Reader client. Basically all it does is sync up your Google Reader subscriptions to the app.

The app works amazing well, just that I can't seem to figure out one thing.

How do I sync my read feeds?

It seems to display just the unread feeds, as soon as I read them and I come back to the app they disappear. GeeReader Pro is a great app although gReader for me at least has been more responsive and has a greater fluidity within the app.

Any help is appreciated
    07-10-12 08:10 PM
    Did you poke the little "checkbox" thingy in the upper right corner, to the right of the "checkmark" thingy and the left of the "3 dot vertical bar" thingy? It switches the view between "unread" and "all" items. Seems to work here as I'm seeing stuff from days ago that I know I manually marked as read before, so...worth a shot!

And BTW, I agree that gReader is the best out there right now for the PB. I've tried GeeReader Pro, WebReader and Pulse (Android), and I find that gReader works best/provides the best combination of features and fluidity. Plus, it integrates seamlessly with the official Android Twitter client (version 3.3, the latest, works great).

Note: I'm running OS 2.1 beta - anything earlier and YMMV.

RCK
    07-11-12 04:55 AM
    Did you poke the little "checkbox" thingy in the upper right corner, to the right of the "checkmark" thingy and the left of the "3 dot vertical bar" thingy? It switches the view between "unread" and "all" items. Seems to work here as I'm seeing stuff from days ago that I know I manually marked as read before, so...worth a shot!

And BTW, I agree that gReader is the best out there right now for the PB. I've tried GeeReader Pro, WebReader and Pulse (Android), and I find that gReader works best/provides the best combination of features and fluidity. Plus, it integrates seamlessly with the official Android Twitter client (version 3.3, the latest, works great).

RCK
    WOW!! That's awesome

I wonder how I missed that . Thanks again NOW this is the best RSS reader . I love using the dark theme, Since Reader HD isn't gingerbread compatible (only honeycomb) I thought I couldn't find another reader with the dark option.

Instapaper works super nice on my RSS feeds . I'm wondering if I can default it to showing me the feed in the Instapaper view when I open it up.

There's a LOT of options so it'll take me a good while
    07-11-12 09:09 AM

RCK
    Oh yeah and PS. The Version 3.3 twitter released yesterday works like a dream on PlayBook OS 2.1, 3.2 worked very well too, but 3.3 added some enhancements
    07-11-12 09:39 AM
    Sadly, I find myself anticipating the release of new Android apps more than I do new Playbook apps. There's simply more action in that ecosystem, and I'm so pleased that OS 2.1 has made it a viable option to run mostly Android apps on the PB.

Can't wait for the final 2.1 release which, by all indications, should be arriving fairly soon (they pulled the beta download, so... ).

RCK
    07-11-12 09:51 AM
    Sadly, I find myself anticipating the release of new Android apps more than I do new Playbook apps. There's simply more action in that ecosystem, and I'm so pleased that OS 2.1 has made it a viable option to run mostly Android apps on the PB.

Can't wait for the final 2.1 release which, by all indications, should be arriving fairly soon (they pulled the beta download, so... ).

RCK
    Me too!

I find that there is a lot of hatred towards Android apps for some reason, I've got no idea why some people, ESPECIALLY the NON developer community assumes that "Android apps suck" in general. Believe it or not Android apps actually HAVE use of the notification system on the PlayBook

True backgrounding is also another feature of some Android apps which for apps that have push notifications is definitely a necessity.

Actually I did hear they pulled it down as well, I was reading this morning that PlayBook OS 2.1.0.722 was the latest internal build. That's quite a step up from 2.1.0.560 so I'm guessing right now internally they've done more than just what would be considered "small fixes".

RIM has stated before that they'll follow the open source code from Google, meaning they'll add ICS support to the runtime eventually, I doubt they'll go from Gingerbread to Honeycomb as ICS is now starting to be available on more smartphones and tablets in the Android line.
    07-11-12 12:27 PM
    Me too!

I find that there is a lot of hatred towards Android apps for some reason, I've got no idea why some people, ESPECIALLY the NON developer community assumes that "Android apps suck" in general. Believe it or not Android apps actually HAVE use of the notification system on the PlayBook

True backgrounding is also another feature of some Android apps which for apps that have push notifications is definitely a necessity.

Actually I did hear they pulled it down as well, I was reading this morning that PlayBook OS 2.1.0.722 was the latest internal build. That's quite a step up from 2.1.0.560 so I'm guessing right now internally they've done more than just what would be considered "small fixes".

RIM has stated before that they'll follow the open source code from Google, meaning they'll add ICS support to the runtime eventually, I doubt they'll go from Gingerbread to Honeycomb as ICS is now starting to be available on more smartphones and tablets in the Android line.
    Yes, it's ironic that the most functional and well integrated apps on the Playbook aren't native. Unfortunately, only a subset of Android apps work under the runtime. For example, I can't for the life of me get the new Google+ app to work. It loads but seems to freeze on the login/register screen. Had a similar problem with Google Reader. Could never get past the login screen.

I wonder if the issues are related - is there some shared authentication service that both apps rely on and that is unavailable in the Android player?

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 07-11-12 at 12:46 PM.
    07-11-12 12:38 PM
    Yes, it's ironic that the most functional and well integrated apps on the Playbook aren't native. Unfortunately, only a subset of Android apps work under the runtime. For example, I can't for the life of me get the new Google+ app to work. It loads but seems to freeze on the login/register screen. Had a similar problem with Google Reader. Could never get past the login screen.

I wonder if the issues are related - is there some shared authentication service that both apps rely on and that is unavailable in the Android player?

RCK
    Actually I'm glad you brought that up. There is a reason why the majority of Google first party apps just fail. It's not the authentication but rather something called "Accounts". In Android phones and tablets you have to have a Google account.

This Google account is what Google Reader, Google+ etc draw their information from. When you sideload the system settings from Android on the PlayBook, you can see that if you try to check the "Accounts" that on the PlayBook it'll give you a message stating "The BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet does not support accounts". Therefore this is the reason why these apps fail.

gReader as you can see also fails to find any accounts. Thanks to the developers here they included a separate sign in just in case your phone/tablet doesn't support accounts. In fact, in the first screen gReader will even tell you accounts are not supported with the device (or a similar message).
    07-11-12 01:28 PM
    Actually I'm glad you brought that up. There is a reason why the majority of Google first party apps just fail. It's not the authentication but rather something called "Accounts". In Android phones and tablets you have to have a Google account.

This Google account is what Google Reader, Google+ etc draw their information from. When you sideload the system settings from Android on the PlayBook, you can see that if you try to check the "Accounts" that on the PlayBook it'll give you a message stating "The BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet does not support accounts". Therefore this is the reason why these apps fail.

gReader as you can see also fails to find any accounts. Thanks to the developers here they included a separate sign in just in case your phone/tablet doesn't support accounts. In fact, in the first screen gReader will even tell you accounts are not supported with the device (or a similar message).
    That's what I suspected. I did notice that the Accounts option was not supported on my PB, and I figured it had to be having a negative effect somewhere in the system. Now I know.

Fotunately, Google Maps seems to work well without this access, though I've heard we're missing out on a few features, notably the ability to save your map annotations or something like that. Regardless, I'm glad gReader is smart enough to work around the issue - and I also now know not to bother with most of Google's first party offerings.

Thanks for the confirmation. Here's hoping we both get rewarded for our perseverance by RIM releasing the final 2.1 bits post haste!

BTW, what is your preferred technique for removing unwanted Android apps? I've found the Settings app most useful in this situation. I hit Applications, then Manage Applications, then select the app to be removed, force stopping it if necessary before hitting the uninstall button. Seems to do a cleaner job than just relying on ddpb alone - or worse, simply deleting the icon from its folder, which almost never works.

Opinion?

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 07-11-12 at 01:55 PM.
    07-11-12 01:47 PM
    That's what I suspected. I did notice that the Accounts option was not supported on my PB, and I figured it had to be having a negative effect somewhere in the system. Now I know.

Fotunately, Google Maps seems to work well without this access, though I've heard we're missing out on a few features, notably the ability to save your map annotations or something like that. Regardless, I'm glad gReader is smart enough to work around the issue - and I also now know not to bother with most of Google's first party offerings.

Thanks for the confirmation. Here's hoping we both get rewarded for our perseverance by RIM releasing the final 2.1 bits post haste!

BTW, what is your preferred technique for removing unwanted Android apps? I've found the Settings app most useful in this situation. I hit Applications, then Manage Applications, then select the app to be removed, force stopping it if necessary before hitting the uninstall button. Seems to do a cleaner job than just relying on ddpb alone - or worse, simply deleting the icon from its folder, which almost never works.

Opinion?

RCK
    Yeah, there are certain google apps that will work, like Google Maps.

As for the Android app removal, I typically remove them via DDPB if I'm connected via USB, otherwise I do the traditional removal of the long press. The extra step is to remove the cached files I do this via WiFi file transfer, just going into the Misc folder, Android, find the app folder and delete all that info. Or through on the PlayBook, I just download AIR browser whenever I need to
    07-11-12 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD