After App World deleted my review, I thought I would post it again here, in hopes of keeping someone from wasting five bucks like I did.

First off, I expected the App World reviews and ratings would depict both good AND bad qualities. So when I saw this app was rated almost five stars, I honestly thought everyone felt it was worth its exorbitant price. Big mistake.

At the time I bought it, Google had more recent imagery than Bing Maps. This is no longer the case.

First, I'll mention the only two pros: it does actually use Google's imagery. And it accurately shows your location, using the PB's internal GPS hardware.

Now for the major cons:

1. The search feature does not work with addresses---or even small towns. Only major towns and cities are recognized. This is a far cry from the engine one would expect "using Google Maps" (part of the app's title).

2. The satellite imagery feature does not let you zoom in nearly as much as any of the true free Google Maps products. I simply could not get the detail I needed.

3. A recent new feature is an annoying popup box that reminds paid users that the imagery is copyrighted. This box appears every time the user pans or zooms---in other words, dozens of times in a typical session. Absolutely inexcusable.

BlackBerry Apps World has done a serious disservice to fellow crackberrians by censoring the negative reviews of this terrible app.
    02-21-12 08:01 PM
    Apparently devs can delete reviews and add reviews with false credits, as seems to be the case of the mass of Maps-on-PB 'apps'.
    Unless many users complain to RIM, the practice will continue.
    02-21-12 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD