I am looking for a free app for a GPS program. I am a service tech and I travel to 8 - 10 different sites each day. I am looking for a simple one- all I want to do is plug in my location and the destination address and then have a map where the GPS will navigate my route and follow me as I go. The GPS on the BB now does this, however, the start of navigation always has a "balloon" with instructions in it which covers up the map. Since I can't get rid of this annoying thing, I am looking for another app which will not have this. Thanks for your help.
    06-10-12 09:18 AM
    The best one I have found is the Android one sideloaded. On my playbook it shows up as latitude. It has the ability to precache maps, so without a data connection you can still use it as a GPS. It's on this webpage Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook Android App Store its called Google maps for playbook under the travel and leisure section.

It also has traffic updates and satellite layering. It's also a little glitchy, but is great if you don't have a data connection.

Hope it helps!
    angel_esq likes this.
    06-10-12 10:21 AM
    The best one I have found is the Android one sideloaded. On my playbook it shows up as latitude. It has the ability to precache maps, so without a data connection you can still use it as a GPS. It's on this webpage Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook Android App Store its called Google maps for playbook under the travel and leisure section.

It also has traffic updates and satellite layering. It's also a little glitchy, but is great if you don't have a data connection.

Hope it helps!
    The version of Google Maps (Latitude) linked to is useless if you don't have a data connection. My experience (and others) is that any version of Latitude later than 6.2 is not fully functional, in that it crashes when entering settings. If you can't enter settings, you can't cache maps for offline use. Version 6.2 can be found here- https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f661f...4A8CD45E%21135 Further, no version of Latitude will let you calculate a route without an internet connection. The primary glitch with Latitude is it's tendency to lose the GPS signal. Also, cached maps are not exacly complete- some side streets are not named.

There are two other free GPS mapping apps available with offline maps (both more complete than Latitude). They are Osmand (in app world) which has navigation (but again, you need to be online to calculate a route), and MapDroyd, which has no navigation and needs to be sideloaded.
    06-10-12 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD