Google has announced that in 3 months time, google reader will cease to be.

Gee Reader Pro is my highest used app, totally dependent on the google reader API. I get 90% of my news and work briefings from this, plus fun stuff too. I am at a complete loss.

The Gee Reader develop has tweeted he is taking the app out of app world.

Feedly and theoldreader are touted as potential replacements, also flipboard - none of which are available for playbook.
    are we about to lose ability to view rss feeds easily on playbook?
    Vicboss7 likes this.
    03-14-13 12:07 AM
    flipboard side load works great on PLAYBOOK. There is also taptu , BlackBerry news etc...

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    03-14-13 12:55 AM
    I used to use BB news app which I loved for its simplicity but then I lost it and am not able to download it anymore because it is not supported in my country, Pakistan.
    Now I use taptu and I'm pretty satisfied with it but stll miss my BB news app
    03-14-13 01:27 AM
    Flipboard does not work well, often it does not respond or it gets irritated by the screen orientation....at least for me (I have version 1923). But I found Pulse (also sideloaded) to work really fine and to be quite smooth.
    03-14-13 04:42 AM
    I am willing to sell my shares over this.
    First Igoogle, now google reader.
    I use geereader pro, i actually paid for an app, everyday I use it.

Somebody has to fill this void.
    03-14-13 03:37 PM
    I don't have shares but I've always been suspicious of Google. Too good to be true kinda thing. Their press release said they were deploying their efforts in other areas and they weren't seeing growth in this area. I use BB news. I tried Beam reader but it seems slow and not too smooth.
    03-14-13 05:37 PM
    I am shocked that this service is getting discontinued.

I use google reader everyday and will surely miss it.

Whoever fills the void will have the potential to be a very rich person.

Are there any alternatives to google reader. I like that I can save my feeds elsewhere and load them on my PC, PlayBook or 9900.
    03-14-13 06:01 PM
    I am shocked that this service is getting discontinued.
    Don't be.

Google is holding all of their services hostage, forcing people to abandon BB in order to use them.

"Don't be evil", eh Google?
    03-14-13 06:14 PM
    feedly already anounced that they have google reader like api's and want to continue the service like they do now on top of google reader.
    problem is there is no bb10

plz +1 my request for an native feedly bb10 app, in the feedly service portal

https://getsatisfaction.com/feedly/t...y_notification
    03-14-13 06:17 PM
    This is crushing. GeeReader is 50% of what I use my Playbook for. I've been wading through the options and am not encouraged. I'll keep watch on this thread and hopefully people will outline a good way to replace GeeReader... preferably with an option that syncs somewhere online so that I can read RSS in different places.
    03-14-13 10:48 PM
    Well, you can always manually add all your RSS feeds in apps like Webreader, Newspile, etc. Or you can export your RSS feeds here ... hopefully the RSS apps on the Playbook will get updated with an import function.
    03-15-13 04:58 AM
    Don't be.

Google is holding all of their services hostage, forcing people to abandon BB in order to use them.

"Don't be evil", eh Google?
    Yes, that is definitely the reason they are shutting down the entire Google Reader service. So that people will abandon BB devices. Except that changing to another device wouldn't change anything, because the service is still shutting down regardless of what device you use to access it.

EDIT: Anyway, if anyone has a way of contacting the developer of GeeReader+, see if they would be willing to transition to "Normandy", which is Feedly's clone of the Google Reader API, so I would imagine shouldn't require a massive rewrite. There are details here: http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/ (essentially, they can email [email protected] to express interest in using Normandy and take it from there)
    Last edited by SifJar; 03-15-13 at 01:49 PM.
    03-15-13 05:19 AM
    Yes, that is definitely the reason they are shutting down the entire Google Reader service. So that people will abandon BB devices. Except that changing to another device wouldn't change anything, because the service is still shutting down regardless of what device you use to access it.
    So it's the entire service that's being killed off?

I thought it was just BB support like most of their services.

If that's the case, then my mistake...
    03-15-13 05:58 PM
    More than one year ago, when starting with the PB, I carefully reviewed all RSS viewers in search of an offline one. At that time I converged on the native "Read It Offline", whose developer was reactive, and which featured various extra features, like a capacity to actually download full posts not just summaries, or handling Readability as well.
    Since then, it seems the dev has just disappeared (no update, no intention to shift to BB10 presumably), and, more critically, if used with really lots of feeds (say, 100+) the app actually hangs up after some weeks. Scaling up is wrong.
    Other than this, if you are into only a couple dozen feeds, offline is useful to you, and you like the native feature and the sleek interface, Read It Offline may be worth a try for you.
    Indeed, since then I didn't find a better solution...

H.
    03-18-13 05:00 AM
    This was the last straw with Google for me. iGoogle, privacy policy changes, constant Plus nagging and now Reader... I have spent a couple of days moving my services off and I'm pretty happy with results (Gmail - > Outlook, Picasa - > Flickr, Drive -> Amazon Cloud Drive, Alerts -> IFTTT, etc) - just got to migrate my blog to Wordpress and find an alternative to Reader (I'm considering Feedly, just hoping someone writes a PlayBook/BB10 client). I don't know how they are planning to push Reader users towards Plus instead, but I am not buying it. They lost a fanboi and a paid subscriber over this one.
    03-19-13 11:58 PM
    Does anyone know if Web Reader will soon support any other RSS aggregators?
    03-23-13 02:12 AM
    I am back using Blackberry News on my devices. looks like you can load in rss feeds manually, without syncing with google reader. Might be the solution
    03-27-13 06:31 PM
    I am back using Blackberry News on my devices. looks like you can load in rss feeds manually, without syncing with google reader. Might be the solution
    Not for anyone who uses another device e.g. a PC or a non-BB phone. (For example, I myself like to read my feeds on my Windows PC, my Playbook and my Android phone).
    03-27-13 07:00 PM
    The mobile version of Netvibes works quite well using a browser.
    Keep an eye on RSSDemon and CommaFeed.
    06-06-13 07:12 PM
    It looks like gReader (an Android app that works superbly on the PB, sideloaded) is going to be supporting Feedly's "Normandy" API very soon, so that should work out well I reckon.
    06-07-13 07:01 AM
    It looks like gReader (an Android app that works superbly on the PB, sideloaded) is going to be supporting Feedly's "Normandy" API very soon, so that should work out well I reckon.
    That's excellent news. gReader runs wonderfully on the PB - one of the best looking Android 2.x apps I've seen andjusg packed full of functionality. It would be a shame to see it go.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    SifJar likes this.
    06-07-13 08:00 AM
    Developer said he would but there is no indication of any interest. Pity. Superb app too.
    06-10-13 07:24 AM
    What is currently the "best option" for a Google Reader client alternative on the PB? (Aside from gReader, which I can't seem to get to work.)
    06-10-13 01:15 PM
    What is currently the "best option" for a Google Reader client alternative on the PB? (Aside from gReader, which I can't seem to get to work.)
    GeeReader from App World isn't bad, but I have no idea if it will ever support an alternative API such as the Feedly one once Google Reader is gone. Apart from it, I've only really tried gReader, which has worked flawlessly for me. What problems are you having with gReader? Does it not load up at all? Does it fail to install?
    06-10-13 02:17 PM
    Geereader is good and use it daily on my PB.

I am really waiting for the flood of new apps or updates after google reader shuts down. Looking to see what the alternatives are.

There will be a lot of money to be made by any app developer who will fill the gap.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-10-13 02:32 PM
36 12