Has anyone gone to m.google.com and clicked on maps yet? I went there just now cause I just wanted to see what would happen and it brought up a downloas for version 2.3.2 and wanted to save a jad file to my Playbook. Decided to cancel it cause I don't Playbook supports jad files yet. Anyone tried to install one yet?
    05-02-11 07:27 AM
    No I haven't attempted to install a .jad file. I believe the apps for the PB are .swf files. You can go view the full google maps site though and it works perfectly for me.
    05-02-11 08:30 AM
    Correct it will not install, it's not worth even trying. WHEN the BB Apps player is ready then RIM will provide the BB apps through App World, same for Android Apps. App World is the only way to install apps on the PlayBook.

Also map and GPS programs are useless until RIM turns on the GPS via the firmware!

No I haven't attempted to install a .jad file. I believe the apps for the PB are .swf files. You can go view the full google maps site though and it works perfectly for me.
    TRUE, you can view maps and directions when you input the addresses, or drill down, BUT the GPS don't work, YET!
    05-02-11 08:33 AM
    What about people who do not have access to Appworld in their country?
    Probably not a good idea to get a PB then! As I undersatand it, they are available on the after market in your country NOT official channels. Once it's released officially, I'm sure RIM will enable App World for you guys.
    05-02-11 08:48 AM
    GPS works. It takes a while to locate the first time, but if you just put the playbook close to a window and let it sync with the satellites, you will get GPS working.

Worked for me at least.
    05-02-11 11:21 AM
    GPS works. It takes a while to locate the first time, but if you just put the playbook close to a window and let it sync with the satellites, you will get GPS working.

Worked for me at least.
    Yep. Works for me too.

But just going to the Google Maps site on the browser doesnt work too well for me -- too slow. Bing and Poynt work well. However, not too crazy about Bing Maps. But if you use Poynt, and ask for directions, it links to Google Maps in a new browser window -- which works much better than going directly to Google Maps from the browser.
    05-02-11 12:42 PM
    Correct it will not install, it's not worth even trying. WHEN the BB Apps player is ready then RIM will provide the BB apps through App World, same for Android Apps. App World is the only way to install apps on the PlayBook.

Also map and GPS programs are useless until RIM turns on the GPS via the firmware!

TRUE, you can view maps and directions when you input the addresses, or drill down, BUT the GPS don't work, YET!
    GPS works fine for me. Initial lock in less than 10 seconds, almost instant after that.
    05-02-11 01:52 PM
    Hmm, I will have to try again! Perhaps I was wrong about the GPS, all I know if when I tried FourSquare it could not find me, BUT I was inside at the time.
    05-02-11 02:14 PM
    Bing finds me about a block south of where I sit on the second floor of a shingled-roof house.
    05-02-11 06:26 PM
    I'm pretty sure Playbook apps are *.bar files. Not sure what that stands for but that's the extension that WebWorks compiles them as.
    05-02-11 07:49 PM
    So... You guys realise that GPS works by contaction Satellites right? As in if you are in a building with a roof the signals are blocked.. That is why Satelite dishes are put on your roof OUTSIDE of you house.

You need line of sight to three or more GPS satelites to pinpoint your location.. One will not work.

LOL..

It should work in your car though.
    05-03-11 05:10 PM
    but right now we don't have standalone GPS functionality right? we need network-assistance to be located.
    05-04-11 03:11 AM
    That is actually a bit of an oversimplification. I can get a solid GPS lock inside lots of buildings. The signal will travel through lots of roofing materials.. Just an FYI. Line of sight is better, but not strictly required. Just saying...

So... You guys realise that GPS works by contaction Satellites right? As in if you are in a building with a roof the signals are blocked.. That is why Satelite dishes are put on your roof OUTSIDE of you house.

You need line of sight to three or more GPS satelites to pinpoint your location.. One will not work.

LOL..

It should work in your car though.
    05-04-11 09:28 AM
    Actually, from what I have read in the RIM support forums, the opposite is true. We only have plain GPS today, not aGPS.

And the PB Location API can also approximate your location from your wifi connection if you can't get a GPS lock, but that has nothing to do with aGPS..

but right now we don't have standalone GPS functionality right? we need network-assistance to be located.
    05-04-11 09:33 AM
    Plain standalone GPS as far as I know, but it needs network connectivity to download the map images.

At home, I found poynt to be a few doors out with my address, but bing maps put the pin right in the roof of the right side of the house in the satellite image........
    05-04-11 12:32 PM
    Plain standalone GPS as far as I know, but it needs network connectivity to download the map images.
    This is why I would love to see a Garmin app that stored maps in the memory.
    05-04-11 02:21 PM
    There is so MUCH bad information on GPS in these forums.... I wish RIM would get out ahead of this issue and just fix it once and for all. The PlayBook HAS a real GPS receiver, not some sort of cell tower approximation. I've played with it with my application and it works to within 7 feet of accuracy. The problem is that the software in the OS (or AIR runtime) is very spotty as of yet. This has nothing to do with reception... you can stand on your roof with a magic wand in your hand and it won't make the slightest difference. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There is a bug in there somewhere and RIM hasn't fixed it yet. That's it.
    05-04-11 02:39 PM
    There is so MUCH bad information on GPS in these forums.... I wish RIM would get out ahead of this issue and just fix it once and for all. The PlayBook HAS a real GPS receiver, not some sort of cell tower approximation. I've played with it with my application and it works to within 7 feet of accuracy. The problem is that the software in the OS (or AIR runtime) is very spotty as of yet. This has nothing to do with reception... you can stand on your roof with a magic wand in your hand and it won't make the slightest difference. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There is a bug in there somewhere and RIM hasn't fixed it yet. That's it.
    This has been my experience as well....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Poynt, Bing Maps, Magellan...they have all found my exact address. Compass shows my location within 2-3 meters. And this has all been inside my house on the first floor. Then I'll close all these apps and reopen them and nothing can find me. Then it will work an hour after that. There's no reasoning to it at all. It just sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
    05-04-11 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD