I'm dropping netflix BECAUSE it is not supported on the playbook.

Amazon's streaming service works great on my playbook. I'm a amazon prime member so I get a decent list of free stuff from them. In addition, I'll take the money I save off of my monthly netflix subscription to buy/rent and stream any other titles that I may want from amazon. In the end, I think I'll be coming out ahead for my monthly $$$.
    11-21-11 10:22 AM
    Can you borrow books from the Amazon library on the PlayBook, or on an Android Tab? If so I can't seem to figure out how. I have a 1 month trial because I bought a Kindle Fire, as a gift, and the trail transfered over to my other devices.
    11-21-11 10:37 AM
    You should send Netflix support an email saying this is why you left. Or list it as the reason when you unsubscribe.
    11-21-11 10:41 AM
    Thats great for you guys in the U.S, but doesn't help us Canadians (or any other country for that matter). Netflix is the only decent streaming service we have access to.
    AOBeta likes this.
    11-21-11 11:57 AM
    If you buy from Amazon somewhat regularly, the Prime membership is just a no brainer. You basically get your monies worth on shipping alone and enjoy free streaming as a bonus.

I also recently dropped Netflix streaming (kept the Bluray in the mail program, its what I joined for in the first place) and now I use Amazon Prime and Hulu+ instead. I ended up also dropping cable. I am quite happy with the move and the money saved from dropping cable. I also find that I am enjoying some older TV series I never would have thought to watch, just because its there.

Antenna w/DVR + streaming is the way to go, IMO. So much content for so much less $ than cable/satellite. Granted, you will still lose some premium stuff and most Sports that aren't aired locally. I am very impressed with the streaming HD quality. As an HD snob, I always laughed at what used to be HD Lite from streaming. It is very respectable HD these days. Better than ive seen from a few satellite feeds actually.
    11-21-11 12:12 PM
    I dropped Netflix DVD just recently because of the price increase and went to streaming only because I can get DVD from a Redbox or Blockbuster machine for a buck if I really want to. My son uses the streaming all the time so I'll keep it for now but I'm pissed that they haven't made an app for the Playbook. They are probably waiting for Android support and the mythical 2.0 unicorn to appear, so I can't hold them totally responsible at this point.
    monicainhawaii likes this.
    11-21-11 12:55 PM
    You should send Netflix support an email saying this is why you left. Or list it as the reason when you unsubscribe.
    I just dropped Netflix yesterday for the same reasons the OP cited. Netflix provides a questionnaire when you cancel, but they don't specifically ask about specific device compatability. Nor do they offer any open text questions giving the opportunity to provide that info.
    11-21-11 03:27 PM
    Yea, I droped Netflix as well. Same reason as the OP. They gave me the run around since June, so last month I decided to say goodbye
    11-21-11 03:43 PM
    Thats great for you guys in the U.S, but doesn't help us Canadians (or any other country for that matter). Netflix is the only decent streaming service we have access to.
    I disagree greatly on this. In order for it to be the only decent streaming service, it must first be a decent streaming service. I considered joining and looked through their catalogue for classic action/sci-fi movies to see if I would like to join, and they had less than 10% of them... No Matrix, one X-men, etc. I just wish there were a streaming video service that actually had good content to give to Canadians without having to switch your sattelite/cable provider...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bahandi likes this.
    11-21-11 07:45 PM
    add me to the list.
    I am leaving netflix by the 8th of Dec (last night of billing cycle) and will be joining amazon soon :-)
    11-21-11 08:54 PM
    It doesn't work anymore. I let Amazon know I was very upset.
    02-14-12 12:44 PM
    It doesn't work anymore. I let Amazon know I was very upset.
    Yeah...there are numerous threads on this already. My assumption is that amazon is now using a later version of flash that the playbook os hasn't been upgraded too yet. I believe this because when it first happened, I switched to my laptop and it did a flash update. I'm hoping OS 2 will have this flash update in it as well so that we will be back in business with amazon.
    02-14-12 01:46 PM
    I disagree greatly on this. In order for it to be the only decent streaming service, it must first be a decent streaming service. I considered joining and looked through their catalogue for classic action/sci-fi movies to see if I would like to join, and they had less than 10% of them... No Matrix, one X-men, etc. I just wish there were a streaming video service that actually had good content to give to Canadians without having to switch your sattelite/cable provider...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +10000
    i dunno if its just in canada, but netflix selection is really lacking hard.
    02-14-12 01:51 PM
    Yeah...there are numerous threads on this already. My assumption is that amazon is now using a later version of flash that the playbook os hasn't been upgraded too yet. I believe this because when it first happened, I switched to my laptop and it did a flash update. I'm hoping OS 2 will have this flash update in it as well so that we will be back in business with amazon.
    If that was the case of just a flash update I don't think it would work at all. It works for a few seconds then the flash update pops up. I think Amazon is deliberately blocking the content.
    02-14-12 01:58 PM
    If that was the case of just a flash update I don't think it would work at all. It works for a few seconds then the flash update pops up. I think Amazon is deliberately blocking the content.
    +1, I have a watch list and no issue watching them at all past week or today. However, anything new that I am trying to watch, no go there! Pretty stinky there I say.
    lostaggie likes this.
    02-14-12 02:03 PM
    +1, I have a watch list and no issue watching them at all past week or today. However, anything new that I am trying to watch, no go there! Pretty stinky there I say.
    Adds to my point...if amazon was blocking then everyting would be shutdown. Since it is only the new stuff, it makes sense that the new stuff was encoded with a newer version of flash. A version that plays for a few seconds and then fails a check or something on our playbooks and pukes.

If I remember right when I first saw this and tried the laptop...it also played for a few seconds before doing a flash update.
    02-14-12 02:56 PM
    Epix Epix Epix they were the first to support the playbook f netflix f amazon come the on people.
    02-14-12 03:05 PM
    Well just checked the version of Flash running on my machines and its 11.1.102.55 on my Windows 7 64 bit system (latest version) and 11.1.121.4 on my playbook. OS is identified as QNX 6.6.0 (32 bit).
    02-14-12 03:15 PM
    Well just checked the version of Flash running on my machines and its 11.1.102.55 on my Windows 7 64 bit system (latest version) and 11.1.121.4 on my playbook. OS is identified as QNX 6.6.0 (32 bit).
    if I remember right, the last flash version pushed to the playbook was to just fix a security issue. So even though the playbook flash version may have a higher number, it may not have the latest and greatest functionality.
    02-19-12 04:40 AM
    Well, personally I like Netflix a lot. I am a documentary buff, and they provide some good History Channel stuff, Extreme Forensics, jail stuff...etc. I have been a subscriber for quite some time now and watch *something* on Netflix every night after work...it has become a ritual. Do I want it on Playbook? Sure, I am not going to lie. But, I can live without it on PB. I watch on my PC at home, on my Android based phone, on my Asus Prime if I want, on my TV via a Roku box. It is not a requirement for it to be available for the PB for me, but it would certainly be a welcome thing should Netflix wake up and create an app for the Playbook.

Either way, of all my devices, the Playbook still happens to be my favorite for many many other reasons
    02-19-12 10:40 PM
    I'm a huge Netflix fan as well. It's not make or break on the PB for me but a day doesn't go by when there is at least 1 Netflix stream going. Sometimes there is 3 or 4.
    02-19-12 11:31 PM
    how do you stream on your amazon? anytime i start one of my videos it crashes saying i need to probably update my flash player. which then says i'm up to date.
    02-21-12 04:47 PM
    Got Netflix on my PC, Xbox 360 and my HD7(WP7.5). Would love to have it on my Playbook, and I've gotta beleive that it will come sooner or later, but not having it now isn't a deal breaker.
    02-21-12 06:33 PM
    nicely post
    02-21-12 08:24 PM
    I am waiting for the blackberry video for Canada eh!!! Come on rim! Lol
    02-21-12 09:12 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD