I'm a new blackberry user got my curve 3g and a playbook. I wanted to know if we will ever see good quality games on the playbook, like ones we see on ipad and other android tablets. I know there is a android simulator coming soon but will the apps we see be up to the same level as the rest?
    05-30-11 06:21 AM
    the NDK is releasing officially in the fall with betas this summer. You probably wont see much anything until they are out. So maybe 6 months timeframe stuff will roll in
    05-30-11 02:18 PM
    6 months is false. android player is gonna be cool, but the apps built using the Native Developer's kit will be qbsolutely stunning. the beta of the NDK is rolling out soon and Unity 3d already announced their games were being ported over for playbook and would be available during the summer. Angry birds is also available this summer from Rovio. so dont worry the games will be coming over the summer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-11 03:22 PM
    were seeing a few good games like power pong, bimmie, and blockheads to name a few. im hopeing that ndk releases before that "fall" release date, i would really like to see some good apps before the ipad3 comes out. it would be silly if rim took that long to develop something that can make or break the device.
    05-30-11 04:25 PM
    There's a couple of fun games that you should check out.. "fly squirrel fly 2" and search for "reemus" as well..."still pond" is good for a quick chuckle but kinda annoying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 10:00 AM
    I am only waiting for ScummVM being ported to the PB. This would satisfy my need for good quality adventure games on the Playbook. I read that at least someone was already able to make a build on it though in the end it did not run because of the video driver. But there is hope
    05-31-11 12:16 PM
    Rocket Storm. Fun and free!
    05-31-11 03:59 PM
    It would depend on what your definition of "good quality games" is.
    05-31-11 04:19 PM
    Need For Speed is definitely competitive with anything released on iOS or Android, and I would be surprised if it wasn't joined by more "large-studio" games before the end of the year.

As far as "good" casual games go, many of the existing apps were developed in a rush to qualify for the free PlayBook offer. I think a lot of them are being cleaned up and refined as I type.

While I wouldn't compare it with Need For Speed (or even Tetris), I think my Spades game is a good example of how the platform can be utilized for a handsome and smooth-playing card game that takes advantage of the PlayBook's screen real estate.

BlackBerry App World - SouthernTouch Spades

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    05-31-11 04:51 PM
    just wonna say thanks to everyones input so far, and @thescionicman playbook does already have good games, but wen i say good quality i mean in size and graphics like infinity blade on ipad 2.thanks again for all the info people.
    05-31-11 08:21 PM
    Need For Speed is definitely competitive with anything released on iOS or Android, and I would be surprised if it wasn't joined by more "large-studio" games before the end of the year.

As far as "good" casual games go, many of the existing apps were developed in a rush to qualify for the free PlayBook offer. I think a lot of them are being cleaned up and refined as I type.

While I wouldn't compare it with Need For Speed (or even Tetris), I think my Spades game is a good example of how the platform can be utilized for a handsome and smooth-playing card game that takes advantage of the PlayBook's screen real estate.

BlackBerry App World - SouthernTouch Spades

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    I find it hilarious when someone makes a comparison with NFS or Tetris; both games have been available for iOS for about 2 years now, so yeah, it can compete with NFSU for the other platforms; they just have NFS Shift and NFS Hot Pursuit now...
    05-31-11 08:29 PM
    At least you can play flash games/applications while waiting for Truly-Native ones, but iPad won't
    06-01-11 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD