Hey guys, i was wondering if anybody has had tried using the a gmate on the playbook. Gmate is a device that allows you to have a dual sim on android and ios devices, or turn ur ipod into a phone.

Since it has an android client was wondering if it would work on the playbook, and in the future BB10.

here is a link for a better explanation of the device.

Skyroam Gmate | AppBrain Android Market
    12-15-12 11:11 AM
    The link you post doesn't describe the related hardware. Maybe the android app could be converted, but not knowing at all how it connects the tablet...

[edit] OK, I found it. It looks a bit like the basic Huawei device I use to turn my wifi-only tablet into a 3G, apart that it doesn't deploy a wifi network but a bluetooth link (maybe more energy-efficient?).
    I don't know if the associated software can be or has been turned into a .bar, but in case it wasn't you may try a 3G-to-wifi device (basically all carriers offer this now), and add to this a VOIP software on the Playbook...
    Last edited by Herve5; 12-16-12 at 10:30 AM.
    12-16-12 07:32 AM
    Herve5, yes, we can use a MiFi device for having internet (other than the one you can already have on the smartphone), but no texts nor voice from the additional SIM. Lets say you live in the US, and will travel to the UK for a month. Using Gmate you could have a UK based SIM card inserted on Gmate, and have all the benefits from it (cheap international calls or free local calls or texts or internet or a combination of any) AND still have your US number available. Its like having a dual SIM phone.

I would also like to know if the Gmate+ android app would convert to bar, so, if anyone have the opportunity to get the file (apk) I'd appreciate a link! Thanks!
    03-07-13 12:58 PM
    I would be very interested to know too I just bought a bb z10 and a gmate+ I currently link my ipad to the gmate+ but it would be covinient if I link it up with my z10 ! Is this even possible? How is it done?
    03-09-13 11:35 PM
    I finally found the android apps (.apk) and converted them to playbook playable app (.bar)...sadly, it does not work.... I really wanted to buy the new Q10 but for travel purposes I do need a dual phone or at least a phone you can attach a device like Gmate+, or SocBlue....I will have to migrate to Android and I hate it....
    03-22-13 12:14 PM