08-16-12 01:27 PM
55 123
tools
    So I think I'm leaning to a monolithic PDF reader app.

Version 1
    - View PDFs
    - Print to a shared printer on your PC (your computer has to be on) or use Google Cloud Print

Version 2
    - Fill out PDF forms and save them
    - Let you sign a PDF using the touchscreen

Version 3
    - Print to any Wifi printer, without requiring a PC

Version 4
    - Support for DOC(X), XLS(X), HTML

I already have a name and icon in mind.

What do you guys think?
    08-09-12 01:48 PM
    a decent music app with GEQ?
    Video player with more codec support?
    Printing would be fantastic
    Native CIFS network file access
    08-09-12 01:51 PM
    If you could get a PDF reader to do all that (to version 3), its easily worth $4.99. Add in Bookmarks, Searching, and annotation/highlighting and id pay 9.99
    08-09-12 01:51 PM

Version 1
    - View PDFs
    - Print to a shared printer on your PC (your computer has to be on) or use Google Cloud Print

Version 2

Version 3

Version 4

What do you guys think?

Indeed, sounds great
    08-09-12 01:53 PM

Version 1
    - View PDFs

Version 2

Version 3

Version 4

What do you guys think?
    Some good ideas and there is definitely a market for something like this. I will offer you encouragement but also a warning. As you get deeper into this, you may find that some of these ideas will be quite difficult to implement on the Playbook. Web services could solve this problem, but then you're looking at added expenses out of your own pocket. Just something to keep in mind. Best of luck!
    08-09-12 03:01 PM
    How about a native (not android) coin flipper app that would allow the user to select flipping either 1 or 2 coins at the same time. The "heads" or "tails" would be based on a random number table so that the the landing on heads or tails is truly random.

Edit:

Another idea had, which came from a music lesson I was giving, was an app that had a number of clapping exercises, i.e., where the person would have to clap the rhythm of a musical passage say of 5-6 bars of music. I was envisioning an app that the music teacher could select a time, i.e., 4/4 or 3/4, and then the app would compose/make up some rhythms. Then, the student would clap back the rhythm that they heard and the app would indicate how accurate, I guess by listening through the playbook's microphone, as to how the clapping was. In this form, the app could be used as a memory training exercise for rhythm with music students.

In another form, the app could display some random notes on staff paper in various time signatures which the student would have to clap back; the app could listen to that and then highlight which notes the student got wrong rhythmically.

The last idea I had would be for an app that could act as a tuner in a specific way, e.g., the app would play Middle C and then ask the child to sing a Perfect Fourth higher than Middle C or the app would play an F and then ask the child to sing a Minor-Third below. Basically, an ear-training application that could be used so that the student could do these exercises at home on their own. Perhaps the app could actually show visually just how flat or sharp the student is compared to what would be correct.

I'm not even sure if this is possible on the Playbook and it would probably help to have a musician or music teacher provide more input on the ideas. I haven't done music teaching in a long time but I do know that it was often getting children to do rhythmic exercises or ear training exercises on their own if they didn't have a parent or sibling who was musical and could help them out.
    Last edited by Darlaten; 08-09-12 at 03:55 PM.
    08-09-12 03:43 PM
    Make a good task manager app and you'll be a god among men.
    08-09-12 04:19 PM
    My two cents. I am looking for an app that would allow me to effortlessly share or sync my default Blackberry calender with my wife's blackberry. Whether it be through NFC or bluetooth (or the option of both preferably). This way, after work everyday, we can sync our calenders without having to connect our phones to the computer. I know there are other ways of doing this (ie: google sync) but I have yet to find a simple, time efficient, error proof method. Apple accomplishes this through the cloud, but there is nothing that I am aware of for Blackberry.
    I have run into the same problem at work. My solution for u is just make a group in BBM with great wife and then as you add calender events just share them with said group.
    08-09-12 05:57 PM
    This may not make any sense to anyone, but I'll try to explain:

I'd like a voice recording app with the functionality similar to the rewind feature in the BB 10 camera. For example, you sit in class with your phone recording the entire lecture. Would you ever want to listen to the whole lecture again? No. It would also be a hassle fast-forwarding through the recording to find what you want.

What I would like is this: The app constantly records, but after a certain time (like 5 minutes), it will start deleting what was recorded (this way you don't waste memory with audio you don't want). Sometimes you start daydreaming and miss half of an explanation. This app would allow you to quickly press Save so that you would have the entire example saved to your phone. By doing this, you wouldn't need to record the entire lecture and would be able to save clips of it.
    08-09-12 06:29 PM

This was an idea that I had too, except for audiobooks. Do you think a podcast app would be better and would sell?

I'm a podcaster, so take it with the appropriate number of grains of salt, but, yest, I think it would sell and the current apps are awful.
    08-09-12 06:42 PM
    I haven't seen any apps that let you create and edit a .rtf file. I could really use one - don't know if anyone else wants this though.
    08-09-12 08:18 PM
    I saw 3 iphone / ipad apps today that would be useful:

1) like others have already mentioned a signature app that allows you to open a document and use your finger to sign it. You then have the option of saving it as a pdf or emailing it.

2) A photo app that lets you take multiple consecutive pictures of a room and then saves them so that you can view the room in 3d by moving / tilting your ipad around.

3) Another photo app that lets you take a picture and add notes or dimensions to it when your on site. Lots of designers and trades use this.

That's all for now.

Tim
    08-09-12 08:20 PM
    One other app:

1) CAD viewer

Tim
    08-09-12 08:26 PM
    Hi,
    video editor app(and link to social networking )
    Lap timer / race data app for the race track days (and link to social networking )
    08-09-12 11:19 PM
    a goooood notetaking app! one that's built for students and professionals to be able to write notes into the app via stylus and maybe be able to change it from translating your hand written words into text words and just writing flat out on the powerpoint or whatever. also be able to record audio while doing all of this. be able to save it orderly, and load it up into some sort of microsoft powerpoint, wordpad document, or even just as a pdf would be cool.

what do you think?
    08-09-12 11:40 PM
    I need a app that makes it easy to meet new friends in a neighborhood by viewing their representation by dots on a google map or bbmap, a click on the dot shows the profile pix and info with friend request options or bbm invite. Should support OS5 and above BBs...this app can start as a free app den go premium or make some options premium.
    08-10-12 10:34 AM
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm going to have to come back to this a bit later, because I came up with an idea separately from here. I think it's a decent one, and I'll let you guys know what it is later today.
    08-10-12 10:52 AM
    I need a app that makes it easy to meet new friends in a neighborhood by viewing their representation by dots on a google map or bbmap, a click on the dot shows the profile pix and info with friend request options or bbm invite. Should support OS5 and above BBs...this app can start as a free app den go premium or make some options premium.
    see wikitude.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    08-10-12 10:58 AM
    Since i'm at work i didn't browse this whole thread, but i've been seeing some users asking about a app that enables the battery left % on the home screen...

Everybody says it doesn't exist.

Could be cool for you...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-10-12 11:15 AM
    I second the bookmark app idea - could you build a "front end" to the browser that would enable us to import an htm favorites file from IE and then manage all our favourites perhaps by category - change the order, etc. etc.? I think that would be awesome.

+1 for the podcast app

A graphic equalizer app

A proper bookmark management app which allows you to export bookmarks from the stock browser to cloud storage or to a pc or vice versa(not tech savvy, so I have no idea if it's possible)
    solomon_grundy likes this.
    08-10-12 11:34 AM
    I saw 3 iphone / ipad apps today that would be useful:

1) like others have already mentioned a signature app that allows you to open a document and use your finger to sign it. You then have the option of saving it as a pdf or emailing it.

2) A photo app that lets you take multiple consecutive pictures of a room and then saves them so that you can view the room in 3d by moving / tilting your ipad around.

3) Another photo app that lets you take a picture and add notes or dimensions to it when your on site. Lots of designers and trades use this.

That's all for now.

Tim
    Tim - regarding the third app - Take a photo and add dims. I use D Measures - I side loaded it as an Android app but it works great just as you have asked. IF you can not find it let me know and I will try and send/post the .bar for you. PM me for help

Bill
    Tkarps likes this.
    08-10-12 01:03 PM
    A dlna client (upnp) which streams video from synology diskstation or whatever dlna server out there in the wild.
    Would make the playbook a full fledged media consumption device - something I really love to see.

Another app desperately needed is a working TV guide which works also in continental europe.
    08-10-12 03:29 PM
    port the Redeye mini android app to playbook
    08-10-12 09:00 PM
    Tim - regarding the third app - Take a photo and add dims. I use D Measures - I side loaded it as an Android app but it works great just as you have asked. IF you can not find it let me know and I will try and send/post the .bar for you. PM me for help

Bill
    Found it. Thanks Bill.

Tim
    08-11-12 02:48 PM
    I think the PDF app is a great idea..now add epub viewing and a nice UI with a smooth way to highlight and I would pay $5 + . I think others would to. There areonly 2 competing book reader apps and IMO neither are that great.

Side note I would definitely pay for a good xbmc remote and others would to but it wouldn't be very many of us I don't think
    08-11-12 11:44 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD