I've had a few people mention that its a bit difficult to distinguish read vs unread.

I'll play around with a few options tonight to see if I can make the unread items stand out a bit more.
    Wolfgan likes this.
    12-14-11 05:50 AM
    I've had a few people mention that its a bit difficult to distinguish read vs unread.

I'll play around with a few options tonight to see if I can make the unread items stand out a bit more.
    Thanks! And taking advantage of you here, is there any way to switch the view (lite, mobi, full) for a single article once you're in the details page reading it? (all clicks I tried opened the external browser)
    Wolf (GeeReader addict :-)
    12-14-11 06:18 AM
    No problem... that's actually something that I've been meaning to add. You've just given me the motivation to go ahead and do it

I'll add some view mode toggle switches to the article title panel where the font size control buttons used to be.

I'll bundle up a few bug fixes and improvements like this into 1 patch and I'll release it sometime next week then.
    Wolfgan, ruvcan and 4wheel like this.
    12-14-11 06:24 AM
    The "Mark Above As Read" function is exposed by that single icon in the toolbar at the bottom of the feed item list (See the attachment for the icon I'm referring to)

When you tap that icon then all unread items from the last visible item in the list up until the first item in the list (including those that you've scrolled passed) are marked as read. All items below that point are left as is.

I hope that makes sense?
    Thanks, this makes perfect sense and is much appreciated!
    12-14-11 12:55 PM
    Purchased the paid version. You put a lot more work into it than I expected!!

One thing I'm noticing: In the old version, when I had a story open in a smaller window, I could place a finger on that bottom bar and swipe up and that would close the window. Now, when I place a finger on the bottom bar and swipe up, nothing happens. The only way to close the window is by pressing the orange back arrow button in the top left.

Being able to just swipe up on that bottom bar allowed for easier / faster one handed operation. ( I could hold the playbook, scroll through news, select a story, read, close story, scroll through more news .... all with only the right hand. NOW, using GeeReader requires two hands.

ALSO, what is that icon in the lower gray bar of the reading window, that file folder with a check mark on it? I tap it, and the check mark turns into an asterisk, but I can't tell if it's doing anything else...
    12-14-11 07:18 PM
    Oops...I'll add the "Swipe Up" function back.

The icon you are referring to is the "Keep Unread" option. When it changes to the version with the asterisk then the article has been "Kept Unread"
    4wheel and BSFA2008 like this.
    12-14-11 11:07 PM
    I just bought it and I'll add my 2 cents, great app. The ability to use instapaper in the mobile view is outstanding. With all other reader apps I have tried, its either the small summary or the full web page, the option to just get the text is fantastic and all I care about. Offline reading would make it incredible!

Well done, great app, highly recommend it.

Sophace
    4wheel likes this.
    12-16-11 03:09 PM
    Glad you like the app and thanks for buying the pro version
    Offline mode has been on my todo list for a while now and was meant to make it into v2.0....anyway that's the next major piece of functionality that I'll be working on. I'm aiming to release the offline functionality early next year.
    Last edited by GeeReaderDev; 12-17-11 at 08:57 AM.
    12-17-11 08:55 AM
    I have a problem with geereader when trying to load more posts, I would often be brought to the last posts of the new batch (I would have to scroll up to view newly loaded posts). Could you fix this? (I'm using the two column view /the rich view, and mobi article view).
    thanks
    12-17-11 10:26 AM
    I know what you are talking about. I'll see what I can do to stop that from happening.
    marksasongko likes this.
    12-17-11 11:08 AM
    I have a problem with geereader when trying to load more posts, I would often be brought to the last posts of the new batch (I would have to scroll up to view newly loaded posts). Could you fix this? (I'm using the two column view /the rich view, and mobi article view).
    thanks
    Ok I made a small change to the way I update the list and it looks like this issue is now resolved. I'll release an update on Monday/Tuesday which will include a few other fixes and enhancements
    marksasongko and Wolfgan like this.
    12-17-11 12:16 PM
    I love the new view when using GeeReader in portrait mode, but it feels awkward that you need to go back to the Feeds list to select the next, in case you wanna read by topics.
    Is there any way to add a "Next Unread Feed" to the Feed title bar to make the operation more direct?
    Thanks! Wolf
    12-18-11 07:42 AM
    Sure I can definitely add something there to make it easier to go to the next topic/feed when in portrait mode.

How would you prefer that function to be exposed...

Opt 1:
    - A simple "down" arrow in the title bar or toolbar which will always take you to the next feed

Opt 2:
    - A simplified version of the feed list exposed as a drop down menu in the title bar

I'll also display the unread counter somewhere in the feed item list when in portrait mode.

I'm going to submit a patch to RIM tonight with the other changes I've mentioned in previous posts. I'll apply these portrait mode enhancements in the next version.
    Wolfgan likes this.
    12-19-11 02:14 AM
    Sure I can definitely add something there to make it easier to go to the next topic/feed when in portrait mode.

How would you prefer that function to be exposed...

Opt 1:
    - A simple "down" arrow in the title bar or toolbar which will always take you to the next feed
    I think this is the best option. A double down arrow symbol close to next message one (at the bottom) if article is maximized, and to mantain consistency the same location if you're in list mode.
    Does it sound good or will make the UI patchy?
    Wolf.
    12-19-11 11:07 AM
    Is anyone else having problems logging in? I always get a "Login Error" popup with "An unknown error occured."

I have enabled two factor authentication on my google account and I'm guessing that's the problem.
    12-19-11 01:01 PM
    Is anyone else having problems logging in? I always get a "Login Error" popup with "An unknown error occured."

I have enabled two factor authentication on my google account and I'm guessing that's the problem.
    Yup thats probably causing the login error. Create an application specific password here: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/Issu...ubTokens?hl=en and use that password to log into GeeReader.
    kingofthenerds likes this.
    12-19-11 01:42 PM
    GeeReaderDev:
    Great job on the app! Love it!

Will you be supporting sharing on google+ any time soon?
    I'm not sure it's even possible technically.
    12-19-11 01:51 PM
    Sharing via Google+ is on my todo list but it doesn't seem like there's a public API for this yet ...at least one that I can hook into using an OAuth token.
    12-19-11 02:03 PM
    GeeReader 2.0.4 submitted to Appworld for approval. Release note:

• Made the list text a bit darker to improve readability
    • Tweaked the list styling to make it easier to distinguish between read and unread items
    • Optimized the memory management in the tile list view
    • Added an option to the article view to allow you to quickly switch between Lite,Mobi, and Full article view modes.
    • Reenabled the "Swipe Up to go back" function in the article detail view.
    • Fixed a bug in the feed item list updating logic that would sometimes cause the list to scroll to the bottom after fetching new items
    • Fixed a bug in the ad display code to fix an issue where the ad would be continuously opened in a new browser tab. (FREE version)
    Last edited by GeeReaderDev; 12-19-11 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    12-19-11 02:46 PM
    woot! woot!!

"swipe up to go back" in da house!!

woot woot!!!!!

Thanks for being so quick and responsive to our requests!!!

ETA: upgraded to OS 2 today and was worried it might break GeeReader. Happy to say GeeReader works perfectly with the developer beta OS.
    12-19-11 07:16 PM
    I really like the quick switch between Lite/Mobi/Full.

Thanks a lot.
    dimm0k and GeeReaderDev like this.
    12-20-11 07:07 AM
    Any possibilty of having the option of displaying more from articles in the list view the way Google Reader gives a "short" and "long" listing? That way more of an article would get displayed along with the article? Would allow an easier way to go through a bunch of articles and getting enough to know about the story without having to open it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-11 07:16 AM
    Any possibilty of having the option of displaying more from articles in the list view the way Google Reader gives a "short" and "long" listing?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The "Tile List" mode (Added in v2.0.2) is a first attempt at providing more info about the article when in list view. Do you want me to tweak the presentation of the tile list view a bit?
    12-20-11 07:22 AM
    The "Tile List" mode (Added in v2.0.2) is a first attempt at providing more info about the article when in list view. Do you want me to tweak the presentation of the tile list view a bit?
    I like it just the way it is, just two feedback:
    1)geereader could save my viewing preference (fullscreen viewing or not)
    2)when viewing fullscreen, text should be spread across the screen, not wrapped up in the middle

other than that, love your new update...
    12-20-11 07:52 AM
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Actually didn't take a look at the "Tile List" mode in v2.0.2 until now and I have to say I like! I was working off of the knowledge of how the "Tile List" worked in the older version. However I would prefer an option to go from 4 tiles to maybe just 2-3 rows worth of an article, that way you can still read what you'd normally see in 4 tiles mode, but larger.
    12-20-11 09:34 AM
315 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD