Oops....I think the "2 icons on homescreen" issue may have been as a result of something I did. I changed the name of the application package file name. Apparently this results in you ending up with 2 application icons...one for the old version and one for the new one. I thought the installation process would be smart enough for this not to cause an issue.....

You can simply delete the icon pointing to the old version and the old version of the application will be uninstalled. You shouldn't have to reboot your PB.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.
    So *that's* what was going on. LOL, now I see those new features. Very nice.
    07-14-11 12:37 PM
    Oops....I think the "2 icons on homescreen" issue may have been as a result of something I did. I changed the name of the application package file name. Apparently this results in you ending up with 2 application icons...one for the old version and one for the new one. I thought the installation process would be smart enough for this not to cause an issue.....

You can simply delete the icon pointing to the old version and the old version of the application will be uninstalled. You shouldn't have to reboot your PB.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Are there any plans to utilize the accelerometer to let us rotate from landscape to portrait? When I'm reading a blog post or article, I'd definitely prefer to read it so I don't have to scroll as much. Pretty please.
    07-17-11 03:03 PM
    In fact the orientation change/portrait mode support is almost complete I should have this wrapped up this week sometime and then I'll submit to RIM for approval.
    arieh likes this.
    07-17-11 03:05 PM
    In fact the orientation change/portrait mode support is almost complete I should have this wrapped up this week sometime and then I'll submit to RIM for approval.
    GRD, FOA thanks again for the update. There's also another functionality that's pretty useful in Google Reader, that opens the original site main page when clicking in the name of the Feed at the top of the items list (so the rich version of the page/blog launches on a browser page). Will it be possible to implement it?
    Thanks, Wolf.
    07-17-11 08:59 PM
    There's also another functionality that's pretty useful in Google Reader, that opens the original site main page when clicking in the name of the Feed at the top of the items list (so the rich version of the page/blog launches on a browser page). Will it be possible to implement it?
    Thanks, Wolf.
    This will be very quick to add. I'll put it in. I also haven't forgotten about putting an unread counter in the article detail panel somewhere. I'll also put that in v1.0.9
    07-17-11 11:25 PM
    swipe doesn't seem to work when the article is full screen.
    07-18-11 07:12 AM
    Unfortunately the swipe area is very limited when in full screen mode...mainly because you cant perform a swipe action over the article detail area due to restrictions imposed by the web view used to display the article text.

The toolbar at the bottom and the clickable title at the top limit the swipe area further.
    ruvcan likes this.
    07-18-11 07:16 AM
    If anyone is keen to give the latest beta version (1.0.9-beta2) of GeeReader a try you can download from here :
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34109448/Gee.../GeeReader.bar

The changes include:
    - Portrait mode support
    - You can now click on the feed title to go to the feeds home page
    - Improved handling of the article detail web view to prevent the random crashes that were happening.
    - Slight improvement to the list scrolling performance

If you install the beta it would be great if you could give me some feedback w.r.t. any issues you encounter.

Note: You will need to use the method described here in order to "side load" this beta version: http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...pworld-615199/
    Last edited by GeeReaderDev; 07-23-11 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Upated the beta version from v1.0.9-beta1 to v1.0.9-beta2
    07-22-11 04:33 PM
    Awesome... was waiting for portrait mode.
    07-22-11 04:45 PM
    Heres v1.0.9-beta2. This resolves an issue which was preventing the login dialog from being displayed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34109448/Gee.../GeeReader.bar
    07-23-11 09:22 AM
    Loading up the latest beta and giving it a shot. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick question for you GeeReaderDev, are you using GPU rendering in your app? I made a simple browser app and noticed that the smoothness of my app was greatly improved by using GPU rendering. You can enable it by adding
    Code:
    <renderMode>gpu</renderMode>
    into your -app.xml file in the initialWindow section.

Didn't know if it was turned on and if it would make the app itself any smoother with list scrolling or the window animation. Worth a shot if it's not setup that way.

Thanks again!
    GeeReaderDev likes this.
    07-23-11 03:09 PM
    @Hatax...thanks for trying the latest beta out for me. Note...I'm aware of some label and icon positioning issues. Working on those now. Let me know if you find any other issues or if you have any suggestions for improvement.

My app is using CPU rendering. I gave the GPU mode a try but the scrolling performance was even worse. I think the performance benefits will be highly dependant on the types of components you use.

I actually totally rewrote my feed item list cell renderer but I only managed to achieve marginally better scrolling performance. I think I'll either have to wait for GPU support to improve with later versions of the AIR runtime or I might rewrite the app using the Native development kit once that's released.
    07-23-11 03:45 PM
    Ahh, okay, it was an idea! I know in the 1.0.6 OS gpu rendering was disabled / non-functional so if you haven't tested it against 1.0.7 you might want to give it another shot.

I know the GPU rendering only helps with certain things, but I noticed my alpha blend performance shoot through the roof. It was kind of a choppy fade before and now it's perfectly fluid doing a full screen tween of the alpha on a sprite rectangle. I'm not sure which animations are accelerated, but I'd assume it's not all of them.

Portrait mode rotation is working quite nicely, great addition!

One thing I might recommend is a thin bar that's a target for the swipe to move forward and backwards through the articles. Maybe a 20 or so pixel high bar just below or above the title that has something like "<<<" at the left side and a ">>>" at the right side. It's an idea and it may or may not work for you. But it would give the users a definitive area to swipe in to move forward and backwards.
    07-23-11 04:04 PM
    Thanks for testing it for me and thanks for the swipe bar suggestion. I'll see if I can work something like that in.
    07-24-11 03:51 AM
    v1.0.9 has now been approved. The update should start appearing on your Playbooks shortly

Changelog:

New Features\Enhancements
    • Portrait mode now fully supported
    • You can now click on the Feed title to go to the home page of the feed.
    • Improved feed item list scrolling performance
    • Some minor styling improvements

Bug Fixes
    • Resolved the issue which was causing the app to force close when viewing the article details
    • Fixed the issue where you could potentially end up with 2 article detail panels
    • Fixed the issue that was preventing certain Google Apps users from logging in
    mscooley, arieh and Wolfgan like this.
    07-26-11 02:54 AM
    Thanks! The vertical mode is a big enhancement that makes this app even more useful, especially for reading long blogposts.
    technomensch likes this.
    07-26-11 08:12 AM
    Thank you! Great app! I was lost without this app especially coming from an ipad with well tons of developed news reader apps. I am safe to say this is better than what I was using on my ipad and makes not having native PIM a little less painful. I blow through a good 1K articles daily. Thanks!
    07-26-11 09:02 AM
    .... I am safe to say this is better than what I was using on my ipad ...
    Thanks for the compliment! There are some awesome apps on the iPad so this really means a lot.

I'm a little frustrated that I cant make the app perform as smoothly as I'd like but I think I'll rewrite it using the Native Development Kit once that is made available.
    07-27-11 02:07 AM
    I still cant login, google apps account, recently transitioned which deleted my reader account due to the domain settings in google apps. Added reader to approved services in the google apps settings and now i can login via the reader website but not through GeeReader.

Any ideas?

edit - tried another app and same issue, might be a google reader issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 07-27-11 at 05:09 AM.
    07-27-11 05:01 AM
    @Rgainsmi

I think I might know whats going on here. Its possible to have a Google Apps account and a regular Google account with the same email address. Google treats these as separate accounts. One is the GOOGLE type account and one is the HOSTED account.

In GeeReader, and other 3rd party apps, one account authentication mechanism is called ClientLogin. When using this authentication mechanism I have to specify what type of account is currently being used to authenticate the user. The options are GOOGLE, HOSTED or GOOGLE_OR_HOSTED. In v1.0.8 it was set to GOOGLE. In v1.0.9 I've changed it to GOOGLE_OR_HOSTED.

With GOOGLE_OR_HOSTED Google will automatically decide the account type based on the user ID. if the user IDs are the same then its possible that Google chooses the wrong account type and then authentication fails.

So in v1.0.8 I don't think anyone with a Google Apps account could log in.
    Now I suspect that Google Apps users whose email address is the same as their regular Google account will still have a problem.

I hope I made sense Does this apply to you?

This following thread (see the 2nd message in the thread. I believe Jeff S is a Google employee) kind of explains it a bit better:
    Google Apps Account Authentication with Base API (C#) - Google Base Data API | Google Groups

So I guess in the meantime you could possibly try logging in with the same email address but your "old"/regular Google account password.

I think I may have to modify GeeReader to either use a different authentication mechanism or add an option to allow the user to choose their account type.
    07-27-11 06:00 AM
    Google are transitioning these accounts into one now, we were forced to do this be google.

I understand what your saying. Hopefully your next version works for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 06:43 AM
    Hi GeeReaderDev
    Just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU for the hard work you have put into this app!

X
    07-27-11 10:02 AM
    @digitalxtc only a pleasure. Just doing my bit to make the PB even more awesome
    07-27-11 04:32 PM
    Still possibly the most useful PB app out there.

One minor request. Option to black out all the screens =P.
    07-27-11 07:04 PM
    One minor request. Option to black out all the screens =P.
    Can you give me a little more detail? Are you talking about maybe having the option to change to a darker theme or something like that?
    07-28-11 02:58 AM
315 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD