I've noticed a trend where free games often ask for permissions they shouldn't need. I usually just deny them permission and everything seems to work fine, but now I've run across one, Miner Diary which refuses to run without file access.

I don't think I'm being unreasonably paranoid, but I don't like random games asking for file access. I can't think of a good reason for them to have file access.

What are your thoughts on games (or other apps) asking for permissions they shouldn't need?
    08-12-11 09:10 AM
    I've noticed a trend where free games often ask for permissions they shouldn't need. I usually just deny them permission and everything seems to work fine, but now I've run across one, Miner Diary which refuses to run without file access.

I don't think I'm being unreasonably paranoid, but I don't like random games asking for file access. I can't think of a good reason for them to have file access.

What are your thoughts on games (or other apps) asking for permissions they shouldn't need?
    if they dont have file access how will they save high scores
    08-12-11 09:13 AM
    if they dont have file access how will they save high scores
    Unless there is a valid reason to store persistent data in the public folders, the app should use the application storage directory (which does not need user permission to access). I have heard of cases where the developer has used a different key to sign an upgrade and has discovered that the new version is treated as a different app and therefore does not have access to the data.

It could be that the developer initially used the public folder but changed to the app storage folder (and forgot to fix the config file.)

All this is pure speculation. You may need to contact the developer to find out why he/she thinks that the app needs public file access permissions.

The bottom line is that if you do not trust the app, you should not use it.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 08-12-11 at 09:59 AM.
    08-12-11 09:36 AM
    How can we possibly know who to trust? I'm not going to trust a game that thinks it needs file access, but what about apps that do need file access? Do we trust the maker of AIR Browser? That app actually needs file access, but I don't know the developer. My understanding is that once an app has file access, it could upload files to an arbitrary server. Without taking the time to run Wireshark on my network, I can't know if breaches are occurring.

Does the App World approval process include vetting apps for security breaches? Does anyone know?
    08-12-11 02:58 PM
    How can we possibly know who to trust? I'm not going to trust a game that thinks it needs file access, but what about apps that do need file access? Do we trust the maker of AIR Browser? That app actually needs file access, but I don't know the developer. My understanding is that once an app has file access, it could upload files to an arbitrary server. Without taking the time to run Wireshark on my network, I can't know if breaches are occurring.

Does the App World approval process include vetting apps for security breaches? Does anyone know?
    Considering the level of paranoia in this thread, you can't trust the appworld approval process anyways, so...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OniBerry and M.Rizk like this.
    08-12-11 03:06 PM
    Miner Diary needs file access because it saves .xml files in documents. I don't know why the dev chose to do that, but that is why it won't run without the permission.
    08-13-11 01:33 PM
    Considering the level of paranoia in this thread, you can't trust the appworld approval process anyways, so...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Best comment so far.
    RIM tested all those apps before you even read about them and RIM knows well what do these apps do and knows that it has no harm on the device or the user privacy.
    08-13-11 10:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD