Pocket wars is officially available for the Playbook on the Blackberry App World! Spread the word!

Launch Sale Price: $0.99

Pocket Wars' entry on the app world - completely unflattering!

(The trailer is oddly stretched, I'm looking for a way to fix it but it should give you some idea of how the game plays.)

Anyone with a shiny new Playbook hungry for "real" games? Yes? Good.

Pocket Wars is a fresh new take on the Tower Defence genre, with combat between units and buildings and ultimately far more strategy. Each time you play the game is different due to the random wave generation, and two difficulty modes are available!

Pocket Wars features:
    • Charming pixel art graphics! Easy on the eye!
    • Upgradeable and repairable buildings! Patch up the damage!
    • Strategic economy based on three core resources! Prioritise as you will!
    • Dynamic, physical combat! Watch your arrows soar towards their targets!

Screenshots: (at half size so they fit)

Coming soon in free updates:
    • Leaderboards
    • Medium difficulty (because hard is just not fair!) **DONE**
    • More enemy units - War towers among them!

I'm interested to hear what the Crackberry userbase thinks of this, as I haven't been able to get in contact with anyone who actually owns the device, so I'm anxious to know if it runs at an acceptable speed.
    Last edited by 1BarDesign; 04-29-11 at 09:44 AM.
    04-20-11 08:55 PM
    I've had to pull the App from sale due to a broken callback on the device: I've fixed the issue now but I'm waiting on RIM to re-approve the title. Sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully it'll be back within the week!
    04-21-11 05:38 AM
    The game is back up for sale, still at this address. The bug has hopefully been fixed.

I'd love to hear what you guys think
    04-28-11 11:34 PM
    So, are there any other maps? And do the enemies come from different directions? I'll be honest, it really didn't look that exciting to me. I'd prefer a more top down map with a wider space so more variety on enemy location could be added. This only gives you left and right which takes out a lot of the fun aspects of a tower defense game IMO.

I appreciate your effort, and would definitely buy a game that looked appealing to me, but I'm just not feeling this one.
    04-29-11 12:17 AM
    So, are there any other maps? And do the enemies come from different directions? I'll be honest, it really didn't look that exciting to me. I'd prefer a more top down map with a wider space so more variety on enemy location could be added. This only gives you left and right which takes out a lot of the fun aspects of a tower defense game IMO.

I appreciate your effort, and would definitely buy a game that looked appealing to me, but I'm just not feeling this one.
    Still though, not bad for .99! And like you said appreciate the effort and look forward to updating, and maybe some additional maps and options.
    04-29-11 08:32 AM
    The "map" is technically randomly generated, as are the waves. I'm looking to add more units and potentially tiles (a randomly placed river, perhaps, and background trees) into the mix but not completely different maps, as they likely wouldn't add much to gameplay.

One thing that I'd like to add would be different weather, either slowing or speeding up units, or maybe disabling buildings to give each wave more variation. Feedback on that idea is welcomed - would you like to see random weather each wave (with a 3 day forecast of course)? If so, what weather patterns would you like to see?

@1stStrike:
    To be honest with access to the full web I felt that doing a "regular" top down TD would a stupid move with only one month to finish the game, I wouldn't be able to compete with the competition. Sending units out onto a plane is far simpler than trying to order them around in 2D, and considering in most TD games the units follow a predictable path anyway, I don't feel that much is lost in removing the top-down view.

Why does the enemies coming from more than one direction make the game more "exciting"? You'd be applying the same tactics as you would if they were all coming from the same direction just in two locations, which would simply make making well placed decisions more stressful; if that's what you're after, playing on hard should provide more than enough stress from wave 6 out

-------------------------

One thing that I feel I've done quite weakly is the tutorial to the game - getting into the swing of things takes some time, and I'd love some feedback there, so far I've found that I should include a "summary" screen, showing what the game screen will be like and how exactly to use each part.

I'm also planning on putting the price of units and buildings in-game soon, as remembering those prices seems to put off some people.

It's currently still in-progress I guess, but as far as I can see it provides deeper gameplay than most other strategy games on the App World, considering almost all of the popular games are either borderline puzzle games or else standard TD games.
    04-29-11 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD