We all remember (well most) when the imacs came out and the build in camera enable you to take photos with all kinds of funny effects, like squeezing the face, big head etc etc.

Well a buddy of mine was showing me this Galaxy Nexus, and omg I was in tears. This phone lets you record a video and the camera will track the persons eyes/nose/mouth whatever effect you choose and apply it in real time while it's recording.

It produces some of the funny you've seen, I can only imagine how well this would go over at a party or something.

I'd definitely pay for something like this. By the looks of it, its not an app just a build in feature of the phone.

sample of people discovering it
    04-20-12 07:36 PM
    Don't take this as saying that would be "stupid" or anything like that, but I don't think it is worth the time for BlackBerry. Maybe a developer might want to do something like that if they can, but not official. I remember when I got my first smart phone and was impressed with the compass app. So freaking cool that it has that and can do that! Novelty wore off and have no need for it. Even if you are hiking or something, you would probably want a real compass rather than using your phone's battery in the middle of no where.

So it might be fun at first, but how often would people really use something like that? On top of that (right or wrong), when I think of BlackBerry I think of professional, quality, and security... not "toys". But then again, they do have a few games, but even those seem to be "passing the time" type of games.
    04-20-12 07:50 PM
    I know I wouldn't pay for a novelty app like that, but everyone's uses are different. It's like all "special effects" type apps. I regularly use a professional graphics program at work so the majority of "effects" are "old news" to me. They are brand new to those whose graphic program experiences are different to my own.

If enough people want such an app as the OP describes I'm sure some enterprising app developer will produce it. I say "go for it" - should there be sufficient interest.
    04-20-12 09:06 PM
    Search funny mirror it does the same exact thing on playbook we always have a good laugh when we use it.
    04-20-12 11:04 PM
    Don't take this as saying that would be "stupid" or anything like that, but I don't think it is worth the time for BlackBerry. Maybe a developer might want to do something like that if they can, but not official. I remember when I got my first smart phone and was impressed with the compass app. So freaking cool that it has that and can do that! Novelty wore off and have no need for it. Even if you are hiking or something, you would probably want a real compass rather than using your phone's battery in the middle of no where.

So it might be fun at first, but how often would people really use something like that? On top of that (right or wrong), when I think of BlackBerry I think of professional, quality, and security... not "toys". But then again, they do have a few games, but even those seem to be "passing the time" type of games.

FIRST THINGS FIRST: I AGREE WITH YOU in that features/apps like these are useless novelties...

HOWEVER, this crap sells. When the 3GS was released one of my friends was literally clamoring to get it, he had a 3G. When i asked him WHY he wanted it he kept excitedly saying "its got a compass man!" i was like wow really? He wasnt the only one i heard say it either...

Also, I once sold a guy a blackberry based on everything he told me. He seemed very happy with it until about day 28 of the initial month when he suddenly came in and wanted to exchange for an iPhone. I asked him why just out of curiosity did he want an iphone 3G, as i understood the blackberry met every single one of his needs. At first he was very short with me as if i had done something to him. He wouldnt really go into detail he just kept saying "I just want the iphone". Finally he confessed that he had seen his coworker using a Level app on an iphone at work and he wanted to do that too. He said i should have told him about the level app and that I shouldnt even be working there if I didnt know about it. I was amazed, he was a totally different person lol. I should have held my tongue but i was offended by what he had said. As i finished the exchange i said (without any animosity),"I think its amazing you trust a 99 cent app to do what others buy an expensive piece of accurate equipment for. I wouldn't want you working on anything of mine haha"

so the point of those is that yes, the majority of people get caught up in the novelty of novelty apps.
    04-21-12 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD