Thank you GrafixGames for coming in the forum!

What is the difference between the free and the "plus" versions?

Also, what is the maximum canvas size? For instance can I assume the app will correctly edit a reasonably large DSLR jpeg import?

TIA!
    Herv�

[edit] OK, now I installed the free version, and followed the link to the very clever video course, that indeed answers most of the questions raised in this thread. The app definitely looks very good; I definitely appreciate the efficient layer handling for instance. The only issue I got was a crash, also mentioned by others here. In this sensitive area maybe some kind of background autosave function would be welcome...
    Last wish: implement a Curves tool -for me it would be a compulsive buy, noone else proposes it save Sumo Paint which is only a non-rescaled port of Pixlr...
    Last edited by Herve5; 12-03-12 at 04:04 AM.
    12-03-12 02:55 AM
    I tested this app on many playbooks hundreds of time but auto closing of app never happened to me.

Only reason currently I can think of is that when PaintBook consumes RAM more than allowed RAM for an app QNX forcefully closes the app. This can happen when you edit a large image or when you perform resource heavy operations very frequently.

I thought about autosaving but as the size of image increases time to save a canvas also increases, this could be even more annoying, so i dropped that idea.
    I'll add a warning message that QNX is low on memory, it'll free some memory if it can and save all changes.

@Ymer
    1) I'll add that feature in which you can resize and move the imported image in next version.
    2)You should disable the current tool before zooming in or out. You can disable a tool by tapping on its icon under tool menu.

@Herve5
    PaintBook have some features locked, you can purchase them from in app purchase of PaintBook .PaintBook+ have all the features unlocked.
    You can create a new canvas max of 2000x2000. But you can import an image of any size. I have tested PaintBook for an image of 5MP but i dont know how much more pixels QNX can handle before forcefully closing PaintBook.
    I will improve PaintBook's algorithms so that it can handle larger images more efficiently.
    For you last question. PaintBook already have a curve tool you can selected it from line tool's setting( it is a locked feature).

Regards
    GrafixGames
    Ymer likes this.
    12-05-12 07:59 AM
    12-06-12 04:02 AM
    @Herve5 (...)
    For you last question. PaintBook already have a curve tool you can selected it from line tool's setting( it is a locked feature).
    Thank you for reacting so fast and nicely!
    FWIW I got an app crash with a 2000*2000 pixels canvas after some quite simple drawing attempts, on the free version. I'll try it again this week-end with DSLR photos as initial background.
    Your Layers implementations just appears brilliant, and IMHO none other is to par.

On this "curves" tool issue, I was very unclear: what I need is a contrast-correcting curve tool, like the one you can find for instance in the Pixlr web application, here

You can try loading an image then selecting the 'Adjustment > Curves' tool, like in this image :
    Free drawing app PaintBook-curves1.jpg
    One possible effect obtained is the following (on the same image):
    Free drawing app PaintBook-curves2.jpg
    Honestly, this kind of tool is definitely more professional than any of the fancy presets one usually finds in low-level image "processors" (and that you wisely don't propose). With this kind of Curves tool you indeed can "save" many photos, clearing a dark face in front of too clear a background, increasing details in a zone of interest, etc.
    You can actually sort of run Pixlr within the Playbook browser, but then its controls are very small and very difficult to adjust. A native version of even just this tool would trigger a rush from all photographers here... (all the ones that already started winking at your Layers tool )
    Last edited by Herve5; 12-06-12 at 05:18 AM.
    12-06-12 05:04 AM
    @Grafixgames.
    -You're right, the bug is a memory issue, I've tested it. A warning message will be welcome before the memory goes to 0, great idea.
    -I vote as well for a Curve and level correction tool and a advance Color to B&W converter.

Another suggestions for the next version :
    1) Do not crop layers when we move them until we validate the new position, because when we test different positions, we loose parts which are outside the canava. I know, I can use UNDO button, but...
    2) Rotation for layers
    3) Lasso selection
    4) Blur and Sharpen adjustable filter applied to a selection.
    5) Ability to choose which app to use to explore folders when choosing pictures, because the native playbook pictures explorer is horrible
    6) The last for the moment, but not the least (If it's possible on playbook), support for the great ADONIT JOT TOUCH.

Anyway, the app is already great, I love it. Thank's a lot for developping this, I was waiting a app like this for a long time.

Regards
    Ymer
    12-07-12 01:13 AM
    Another suggestions for the next version :
    1) Do not crop layers when we move them until we validate the new position, because when we test different positions, we loose parts which are outside the canava. I know, I can use UNDO button, but...
    2) Rotation for layers
    3) Lasso selection
    4) Blur and Sharpen adjustable filter applied to a selection.
    5) Ability to choose which app to use to explore folders when choosing pictures, because the native playbook pictures explorer is horrible
    6) The last for the moment, but not the least (If it's possible on playbook), support for the great ADONIT JOT TOUCH.

Anyway, the app is already great, I love it. Thank's a lot for developping this, I was waiting a app like this for a long time.

Regards
    Ymer
    I agree with all the above, specially with (1) and with the Jot touch (indeed, you'd be the first and only app on Playbook that'd use it: to many, this may very well mean: the only professional one...)
    12-07-12 06:20 AM
    Sorry for late reply

I have uploaded a new update of PaintBook and PaintBook+ which fixes crashing of app.

For the above requests.
    1) I'll add mechanism in which PaintBook will only crop the image when you deselect the move tool (which will confirm you have done moving) till then you can move image without getting it cropped.
    2) Is it really necessary to rotate the layers? You can rotate whole PlayBook to adjust according to your comfort. Let me know if it is really needed i'll add it future update.
    3) Lasso selection will be added in future update.
    4) I'll improve current filters and add new filters in new update.
    5) I'll look to it if i can add that feature.
    6) Adding Jot Touch to PaintBook will be great. I'll look to it.

I was not following this thread so I missed out your posts. If you have more suggestion you can post on my fb page GrafixGames
    or you can mail me.
    or post it here only. I'll follow this thread.
    12-23-12 11:16 AM
    Thank's a lot for the update, the app works wery well now.
    About the question number 2), yes it could be usefull to rotate the layers individually especially when you want to compose a picture. Sometimes, you draw something on a layer and after you want to change it's size, position and orientation just to recompose your drawing or create special effects by duplicating the layer and put it's content somewhere else.

In the actual version of the app ;
    Is it possible to store the tools settings in order to restore them when we restart the app ?
    Is there a way to lock the aspect ratio when using the resizing/rotating tool ?
    Last edited by Ymer; 01-08-13 at 02:42 AM.
    01-08-13 02:12 AM
    You can change size,position and orientation of selected pixels or copy selected pixels by Transform tool. if you want to perform this operation on whole layer you can use transform tool to select whole layer and then apply the transformation.
    I think just adding a new tool to perform a very specific operation can be waste of time and resources. You can duplicate a layer by using copy layer function inside layer settings.

Currently you cannot save your tools settings but I'll add it in future updates.

Currently you cannot lock the aspect ratio while resizing. Its really hard to apply these features on a tablet because it lacks a keyboard (for using shortcuts). In other computer based program you can lock aspect ratio by pressing shift key, these kinds of shortcuts helps to improve program's effectiveness.
    I have already coded this feature but I am still finding a way to apply this to transform tool in such a way that it does not annoys the user.
    01-12-13 08:48 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD