I'm a teenager with no credit card, so of course I can only get free apps unless I pay my sister to use her credit card. My parents won't buy me apps. To be honest, I was considering taking my sister's credit card and leaving the money for only the app on her dresser or trying to pirate it somehow, but is it really worth it with the free Android Battery app out? Is that app accurate? I'd really prefer an app that gives me a percent health instead of "Good", but...

This is really the only paid app I seriously want since I had battery issues with another device and didn't realize it until after the warranty expired.
    02-28-12 08:45 PM
    Dear teenager with no credit card,

App World accepts PayPal.
    PayPal allows bank account payments.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-29-12 03:51 AM
    Go with battery guru. Pay your sister to use her card if you have to.
    The free one looks like it was made for a phone and then jiggled for the PB.
    The dev of battery guru is active on the forums for support and to answer queries/concerns.
    peter9477, homer1475 and Snuupy like this.
    02-29-12 05:13 AM
    Always best to support the local PB dev community that's always active and ready to answer questions about their app(s) here on CB.

FYI, setup a paypal account that's linked to your bank account. Will take a week or 2 to get it setup properly, but well worth it in the end.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-29-12 06:56 AM
    I just took a peek at the "competition" there. It's an Android or BB phone port, running in the Android player.

It runs and, surprisingly (to me), actually has access to the voltage and battery temperature info, as well as basic battery level. No numerical health, so it's unclear what it means by "good". After seeing that other Android battery app with no readings at all, I thought maybe they had no access to battery info yet.

It also has a graph and continues to run (indefinitely?) even when you "close" it, because that's how the Android apps work. Unfortunately it's not possible for any non-Android apps to do the same yet.

On the down side, it hasn't been designed for the PlayBook, with text too small to read in the thumbnail view of the window. Certainly a credible effort which, if they support and improve it, will pose some competition. It got them a free PlayBook at least, I'm sure...

It doesn't show the Health value, or Power, or Recharge Count, and doesn't come with one of Battery Guru's "killer features": me! ;-)
    mem0ryburn likes this.
    02-29-12 07:40 AM
    I'm a teenager with no credit card, so of course I can only get free apps unless I pay my sister to use her credit card. My parents won't buy me apps. To be honest, I was considering taking my sister's credit card and leaving the money for only the app on her dresser or trying to pirate it somehow, but is it really worth it with the free Android Battery app out? Is that app accurate? I'd really prefer an app that gives me a percent health instead of "Good", but...

This is really the only paid app I seriously want since I had battery issues with another device and didn't realize it until after the warranty expired.
    Anyone else find it amusing that this user talked about pirating an app and the app's creator also posted, trying to HELP the user. Peter, you are a stand up guy, and I happily bought Battery Guru.
    peter9477 and mem0ryburn like this.
    02-29-12 09:24 AM
    Anyone else find it amusing that this user talked about pirating an app and the app's creator also posted, trying to HELP the user. Peter, you are a stand up guy, and I happily bought Battery Guru.
    I forgot he was here. And he's so nice. Now I'm embarrassed ^^;
    Thanks, peter and everyone else. I'll definitely get the Battery Guru, and I'll pay for it.

On the subject of PayPal, I either don't have a bank account or my parents have one for me but I don't have access to it. I thought that was how it usually is...
    And they won't get a PayPal. It's part of the same reason they won't let me have Apps. They avoid putting their info online as much as possible.

Paying my sister it is!
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-29-12 07:52 PM
    If you buy battery guru you actually get a piece of peter9477's soul too. Great value.

btw peter any word whether you'll be adding the remaining time estimate? It'd be interesting to see the new estimates in OS 2.0, although I guess it'd be increasingly difficult to get 1.0.8 benchmarks :P.
    DavidM348 and peter9477 like this.
    02-29-12 08:23 PM
    rmah, I definitely intend to add such things. Rather than constantly tweak and poke at it, however, a while back I decided it would be much better to wait for several things to happen.

One was the release of 2.0. I figured that would stir things up enough that it would be unwise to attempt any major improvements, especially something like the "time remaining" estimate, before seeing how it worked out. I need to redo some measurements, and collect more data from users under 2.0, before I'll be comfortable with a time-remaining feature. (It would be really easy to write something crappy there if I wanted to.)

Another was the availability of Cascades. Err... will be the availability of Cascades, since RIM didn't meet our expectations there either, and there's still no sign of it even in an open beta. I've had no luck getting into the closed beta so far either. :-(

Rather than merely wait for Cascades however, and now that we've been able to get confirmation that it does build directly on top of QtQuick and QML, I'm finally diving into that whole area with the goal of using it to rewrite all my apps (released and unreleased) over the next N months. I wish I knew what N was, but with any luck it won't be more than a few.

Lastly, I'm also waiting for the next maintenance release (OS 2.0.1?) which is supposed to have a few changes I would really prefer to have in place before I do any more updates myself.

So I'm not following a "steady cadence of releases", but rather delaying until I can do a large update with many changes, or something like that. After all, it worked just so wonderfully well for RIM I figured why not? :-)

Seriously though, I much prefer being more "agile" and doing many and smaller releases of things, but this platform hasn't worked out exactly how I anticipated, so for now I have to do it this way. I won't actually hold off releasing anything just to get more features into it like they did with 2.0, but I'm not happy with AIR as a primary development platform so I'd rather invest my time in preparing for the future of BB10 than struggling to twist my design ideas into a form feasible in the AIR environment.

Coincidentally, just tonight I managed to achieve a QtQuick "hello world" of sorts, which is here in signed form and could be sideloaded: http://nanonet.ca/downloads/qt-hello-1_0_0_5.bar It's nothing more than some text that spins around on the screen as it follows your finger, but the point is the underlying pieces that get it there. (Yes, a 12MB .bar for a "hello world"! This stuff won't really fly until RIM can get the Qt libraries onto the platform for everyone, at which point this would be about 40K instead.) [Edited: new version which ask for no permissions and is thus guaranteed harmless. ]
    Last edited by peter9477; 03-01-12 at 08:11 AM. Reason: new version of .bar needs no permissions granted
    03-01-12 02:35 AM
    If you buy battery guru you actually get a piece of peter9477's soul too
    Aha, I wondered what that red flashing thing was in the upper left corner of my PB!
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-02-12 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD