So I have 3 app that i downloaded while they were free. Not they have upgrades and it won't update and i get the error "the price of this applicaiton has changes". Can anyone shed some light on this? The app is BattleBallz Chaos.

I know my ipad if the prices changes it still shows I own it even though it was for free.
    10-06-11 10:19 PM
    Yup. You 'borrowed' the original version as a 'trial' for free. You (likely) can continue to use the original version without paying for an upgrade. But, if you want the 'newest' version you must pay the piper.

I don't know which apps you purchased. I found a no charge work around for a 'free' app that was later 'paid'. I then deleted the original app to avoid getting annoying reminders to upgrade.
    Last edited by mandony; 10-06-11 at 11:20 PM.
    10-06-11 11:16 PM
    Yup. You 'borrowed' the original version as a 'trial' for free. You (likely) can continue to use the original version without paying for an upgrade. But, if you want the 'newest' version you must pay the piper.

I don't know which apps you purchased. I found a no charge work around for a 'free' app that was later 'paid'. I then deleted the original app to avoid getting annoying reminders to upgrade.
    A no-charge way??? Shall we ask? I now have four such reminders and it is very irritating.
    Last edited by F2; 10-07-11 at 12:05 AM.
    10-06-11 11:49 PM
    The app is BattleBallz Chaos
    10-06-11 11:58 PM
    I'm having the same issue with LinkNote. I'm not sure there is much that can be done about it. We can continue to use the free version we originally downloaded, but we will get notifications of upgrades - or we can delete the app so we don't get the notifications. There doesn't seem to be a way to avoid the notifications otherwise. There also doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade without paying once the app ceases to be free. Personally, I consider it to be like a free trial. I can check out all the features the app had while it was free to decide if I want it bad enough to pay for it. With BattleBallz I found the game wasn't really something I'd play much so I deleted it. I'm still deciding if I want to keep LinkNote.
    10-07-11 07:00 AM
    It's a limitation of AppWorld and there's nothing the dev can do to bypass it to allow people who downloaded for free to later get updates for free if they change the price.

Only thing they can do is put a new version as an entirely different app, which would leave the old free version unaffected.
    10-07-11 08:06 AM
    It's a limitation of AppWorld and there's nothing the dev can do to bypass it to allow people who downloaded for free to later get updates for free if they change the price.

Only thing they can do is put a new version as an entirely different app, which would leave the old free version unaffected.
    Let me just add that, I went through hoops to continue to make a free app available while at the same time monetizing my product. It seems that whatever route the developer takes, there are a good number of unhappy customers left in the wake. It is a classic catch-22 problem. The only way to gain attention for one's app is to offer a free version but having done so, the developer is trapped in a situation where it is not possible to charge a reasonable price for it. I have dropped my "cripple-ware" style free demo and sales of my paid app have increased considerably. It is not good for business to compete with one's self by offering two versions of the same app.

Note that I am not complaining - I am just stating a fact of life.
    10-07-11 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD