So far I have gotten bit twice by installing an app that was free, then the developer did an update and decided to start charging for it. Well unfortunately if you have installed the free version there is no way to go back and upgrade to the cost version. That is unless you do a Security Wipe of your PB. There is no other way to make you PB forget you ever had the app installed (according to RIM).
    06-05-11 11:58 PM
    I have hit this problem, downloaded an app during a free weekend giveaway, only to later find I am expected to pay for the upgrade (strike 1), then that I can't pay for the upgrade even if I wanted to (strike 2).
    06-06-11 01:06 AM
    So far I have gotten bit twice by installing an app that was free, then the developer did an update and decided to start charging for it. Well unfortunately if you have installed the free version there is no way to go back and upgrade to the cost version. That is unless you do a Security Wipe of your PB. There is no other way to make you PB forget you ever had the app installed (according to RIM).
    If you like the app that much, why not just pay for the work the developer put into it?
    06-06-11 01:15 AM
    If you like the app that much, why not just pay for the work the developer put into it?
    I would if I could, it was made available for free at first when I downloaded it. Now it's been upgraded to pay and app world fails on upgrade, but there is no option to pay for it because app world says you already have it.

We are stuck in a catch22 and the only way to get the option to pay is a complete security wipe of the device as the OP stated.
    06-06-11 01:28 AM
    They should have made two apps, one is lite/trial, and the other one is Full (paid) version. When they updated just like that. It will make confusion. Hope there is a workaround for that.
    06-06-11 04:06 AM
    AFAIK, only a couple of apps fall into this category. One was Jigsaw. I managed to purchase it by deleting it and then using the R-S-T thing to reset my AppWorld purchases. But you have to do that BEFORE you go into the My World area, because once that's updated again, you lose the ability to purchase the app.

I agree - the better answer would have been to have a different app instead of updating it.
    06-06-11 08:38 AM
    AFAIK, only a couple of apps fall into this category. One was Jigsaw. I managed to purchase it by deleting it and then using the R-S-T thing to reset my AppWorld purchases. But you have to do that BEFORE you go into the My World area, because once that's updated again, you lose the ability to purchase the app.

I agree - the better answer would have been to have a different app instead of updating it.
    Could you tell me what the R-S-T thing is? I did a search on it but could find no reference to it.
    06-06-11 08:43 AM
    Could you tell me what the R-S-T thing is? I did a search on it but could find no reference to it.
    open app world and swipe to bring up the keyboard and simply type rst and a window will pop up saying the cache has been cleared, i think thats what it says
    wolfman-fu likes this.
    06-06-11 09:12 AM
    open app world and swipe to bring up the keyboard and simply type rst and a window will pop up saying the cache has been cleared, i think thats what it says

Doesn't seem to work for me
    06-06-11 10:02 AM
    Bad design pure and simple. BUT I'm quite certain that it will be addressed at some point.
    06-06-11 10:12 AM
    Doesn't seem to work for me
    type rst into the search bar on the home screen of App World and then it will work. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by fjphinney; 06-06-11 at 10:17 AM.
    06-06-11 10:15 AM
    Can't upgrade to File Commander v1.2
    06-06-11 10:43 AM
    They should have made two apps, one is lite/trial, and the other one is Full (paid) version. When they updated just like that. It will make confusion. Hope there is a workaround for that.
    This is the logical approach!
    06-06-11 10:47 AM
    File Commander is the one I have this problem with.

I've used the RST - in what order do you do things to clear up this issue. DELETE the app, then RST. RST and then Delete and then RST again? Or.....
    Last edited by F2; 06-06-11 at 12:20 PM.
    06-06-11 12:12 PM
    this!
    i am pretty sure that is how all the other stores handle this type of thing. 2 version, one pay one free.

i guess this is difference since it started as a free app then changed to a pay app. I guess they need to rerelease the app/game as a pay version, but then it has to go thru app approval process again which is a total PITA
    06-06-11 12:31 PM
    I don't think those apps were designed to be free/pay. They were probably planned to be free but got so much activity, that the developer changed their minds and tried to sell...
    06-06-11 12:39 PM
    I deleted File Commander from the Home Screen. I opened Appworld, RST, it did not show in Myworld. RST for good measure. Searched and found it. It offered REinstall and then failed. No option to purchase.
    06-06-11 12:43 PM
    This is the logical approach!
    It's not new since that is what most devs did for their apps..
    this!
    i am pretty sure that is how all the other stores handle this type of thing. 2 version, one pay one free.

i guess this is difference since it started as a free app then changed to a pay app. I guess they need to rerelease the app/game as a pay version, but then it has to go thru app approval process again which is a total PITA
    I didn't know about the app approval process and I agree that it is a total PITA.
    But they should have seen this coming and do the update with ADS for example and not by changing to Paid Apps.

Funny thing is that they can do change it from FREE to PAID but have this sorta 'bug' coming.
    Better send email to the Devs and ask them to remove it and upload a new one under different names. It takes time though..
    And for RIM, I think they should've look into this issue and have a workaround.
    Try BlackBerry Support mate..
    06-06-11 04:34 PM
    Here's what I did:
    1. Open AppWorld
    2. Bring up the keyboard
    3. Type R-S-T
    4. Close AppWorld
    5. Open AppWorld
    6. Use the Search function to locate the app
    7. Purchase the app

Hope that works for you.
    petworks97 likes this.
    06-06-11 05:58 PM
    anyone hit the issue with a payed app updating to be a pay again app? lol
    bought that snake like game weboo and when it updated it asked me to buy it again.. uninstalled it.. now i cant even reinstall it
    06-06-11 06:02 PM
    Vidge,

That worked. Had already uninstalled File Commander yesterday. Followed your reset steps and and was able to purchase and instsll FC, thanks.
    06-06-11 11:41 PM
    In some instances yes they run 2 seperate apps free & full.

BUT... on an "iDevice" if a developer gives it away for a free weekend, or upgrades a free app to pay, those who got it free then get free updates as if they paid for it originally, once you have it you have it regardless of price changes, new devices, updates, etc. Developers often do this to get popular fast, get reviews built up, and as a thank you for early adopters.

Also if you buy it on one device you get it on all other devices on your account that it is compatible with.

(Not a fanboy, just giving the facts)
    Last edited by UnifiedTechs; 06-06-11 at 11:53 PM.
    06-06-11 11:50 PM
    In some instances yes they run 2 seperate apps free & full.

BUT... on an "iDevice" if a developer gives it away for a free weekend, or upgrades a free app to pay, those who got it free then get free updates as if they paid for it originally, once you have it you have it regardless of price changes, new devices, updates, etc. Developers often do this to get popular fast, get reviews built up, and as a thank you for early adopters.

Also if you buy it on one device you get it on all other devices on your account that it is compatible with.

(Not a fanboy, just giving the facts)
    thats the way it should work, many BB devs charge for "major" upgrades though. It sucks. I think i paid damn near 17-20 for berryweather!
    06-07-11 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD