All of these apps are free on the ipad.

stumble upon
    windows live
    google earth
    how stuff works

Why dont they make apps for the playbook? I don't get it. Why not? (the app is already made, it's not like doing something from scratch.) we can't really blame RIM for it right? is it the developers who are deliberately not allowing pb users to access these apps?
    12-09-11 02:35 AM
    It takes time and effort to port it to a different platform.

Once BBX (yes I'm still calling it that) comes out and starts gaining momentum. You'll see those apps. You might even see a few when they release OS2.
    12-09-11 03:17 AM
    The apps are already made, perhaps using a language called "Objective c". To make a version for use on PlayBook, the app must be rewritten from scratch in a language that is compatible with the PlayBook. Think about this in terms of writing a book. You spend many hours writing your fine novel in your native language and then someone asks you why you did not bother to translate it into Swahili. Your likely answer would be that you would have to pay someone a lot of money to translate your book and that the Tanzanian market is not large enough to make it worth your while.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 12-09-11 at 08:06 AM.
    12-09-11 07:58 AM
    Also, don't forget a straight port usually makes a poor usage experience. You want the developer to make use of the unique features of the PlayBook, such as the swipedown app menu. Building a good app takes effort, even if most of your base code could be reused.
    12-09-11 09:03 AM
    ...And fwiw, most of those "apps" are nothing but weblinks (and Wikipedia's is already on the PB).

I understand the desire for skype etc, but to read these forums you'd think that a tablet with angry birds, skype + netflix is all that is needed in life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-11 09:43 AM
    Find other ways to get what you want

don't have Skype, use AOL video chat (AV by AOL - Let's video chat!)
    don't have Google Earth, use GEOrendr
    don't have Netflix, we'll soon have BB Movie (there are other ways to view TV and movie content, it's talked-about in another thread)

If these companies can't make an app right now, try to find an alternative
    12-09-11 10:51 AM
    cool. Thanks for all the replies.
    12-09-11 12:11 PM
    cool. Thanks for all the replies.
    Some Yelp/local sarch alternatives for you:

The Bing app does local searches but my personal favourite is Poynt (which is tightly integrated with the Poynt app on your BB smartphone via a dedicated BT connection.)

For Yelp, the web site works very well in the browser. Magellan Compass ($1.99 in App World) uses Yelp for local searches and Google maps for turn-by-turn navigation. In my opinion the Magellan app is a better alternative than Bing.
    12-09-11 01:09 PM
    Do we really need a FoxNews App?

If you want to be misled by right wing filtered opinion pieces based on actual news then I'd understand the need.

Yeah I'm getting political, but seriously, if you want an "actual" news app why go with FauxNews?

That being said the Blackberry News App is pretty good at aggregating various news RSS's so it ends up being better for me.
    Multiple News sites with one App to rule them all.
    Last edited by Houshinto; 12-09-11 at 01:29 PM.
    12-09-11 01:26 PM
    Just something to note: while there isn't a TED app, there is a TED video podcast feed in the native podcasting app. Also, IMDB and wikipedia work perfectly in the browser, so just add a bookmark to the homescreen and you've got a reasonable substitute for an app, and I think Hulu won't be making an app for Playbook, since it originally worked through the web browser then Hulu blocked the Playbook from accessing its website for legal reasons

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-11 03:46 PM
    a lot of your questions are answered here

12-09-11 03:49 PM
    Do we really need a FoxNews App?
    I was going to say you could have saved yourself some typing and ended the sentence one word sooner (and in the old pre-emoticon days - gd&r)
    12-09-11 04:10 PM