I recently went through the trouble of rooting my lg optimus slider with virgin mobile so I could create a wireless hotspot and connect my playbook to it. I was extremely disappointed when I found out that the pb does not support ad hoc networks. I tried using the barnacle wifi app, wifi tether, and neither of them worked. My pb would not see their network. I used "Foxfi" and it works perfectly. I dont know what the difference is but all I know is that the PB can see the wifi network that the Foxfi app makes.
    kdartigliere likes this.
    03-17-12 03:34 PM
    Yeah, it works well. I'm regularly getting download speeds on my PB around 15 Mbps using stock rom. I've heard folks say that rooting isn't required. Best part is it's free and no tether charges!
    03-17-12 06:11 PM
    i have an Evo Design and I can only use the Bluetooth connection but it doesn't seem to work with my Playbook. it pairs but it is not connected....any help is appreciated
    04-09-12 07:57 PM
    I've never been able to use BT for tethering. I can pair with my PB, but have never been able to establish a BT connection between them. WiFi hotspot only, at least on my Skyrocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 09:35 PM
    Stock wifi hotspot works on my Dell streak and bluetooth tether works on my bold 9780.
    04-10-12 03:13 AM
    Where does one get foxfi? I couldn't find it in Appworld.
    04-10-12 08:12 AM
    Where does one get foxfi? I couldn't find it in Appworld.
    I believe this is an android app they are talking about. They are installing it on their android phones so they can share the data with their playbooks so you won't find it in app world.
    04-10-12 09:09 AM
    Yes, confirmed. PB connects easily with WIFI Hotspot made by FoxFi installed on android phone. No rooting required. Still no solution to BT tethering between android and PB but I guess it doesn't matter any more.
    04-10-12 11:20 AM
    If you need the apk file let me know and I'll send it to you. It does work well. Also if your rooted I can explain another easy way to use wifi tether app by using infrastructure.

Nexus S 4G
    04-10-12 12:42 PM
    Foxfi.apk

http://db.tt/FjRIiJ0U

Let me know if you have any trouble with it.
    Nexus S 4G
    04-10-12 12:46 PM
    If you need the apk file let me know and I'll send it to you. It does work well. Also if your rooted I can explain another easy way to use wifi tether app by using infrastructure.

Nexus S 4G
    Thanks but I got it off of Android Market with your help.
    04-10-12 12:59 PM
    Ok, good to hear.

Nexus S 4G
    04-10-12 02:38 PM
    If I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize.

How would I go about downloading Foxfi to my wife's Blackberry Torch 9800? Although, we have had cell phones for years, I am still a noob when it comes to all the technical stuff.

We are going on vacation later this month, and the hotel we're staying in doesn't offer free wifi. If possible, we want to use Foxfi and her Blackberry as a hotspot so we can connect either hers or my HP laptop to the internet while we are there.

I would greatly appreciate any help than anyone can provide on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Wolfman39; 08-02-12 at 10:36 AM.
    08-02-12 10:06 AM
    If I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize.

How would I go about downloading Foxfi to my wife's Blackberry Torch 9800? Although, we have had cell phones for years, I am still a noob when it comes to all the technical stuff.

We are going on vacation later this month, and the hotel we're staying in doesn't offer free wifi. If possible, we want to use Foxfi and her Blackberry as a hotspot so we can connect either hers or my HP laptop to the internet while we are there.

I would greatly appreciate any help than anyone can provide on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
    It's an Android app. It is for using an Android device to tether another device like the PB.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Wolfman39 likes this.
    08-02-12 10:40 AM
    Ok, thanks! Guess I'll have to look into something else.
    08-02-12 10:49 AM
    You said you have a Blackberry Torch 9800. Don't you just need to download the bridge app from app world to your phone and pair it to your PB?
    08-02-12 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD