Should be we expecting a ton of apps when OS2 launches? Im kinda tired of seeing cheap books and broken apps appearing nowadays. Ive seen the notices by rim about app submission dates, and stuff. If so, thats going to be a great day
    02-13-12 01:54 PM
    yes, it is very easy to port over android apps. there really is no reason for devs not to unless they dont like making more money.
    02-13-12 02:08 PM
    Don't expect all apps submitted by the deadline to be actually available in App World on day 1. Many will, to be sure, and I believe it's safe to guess there will be some relatively big apps available, too. We know for sure that Zinio and Plants vs. Zombies are ready to go now, for instance.

Would be supremely cool to see more major apps announced with the 2.0 upgrade. I continue to believe Netflix is a strong possibility. Skype? I'm on the fence; would love to see it, of course, but that depends on 1) Microsoft caring enough to bother releasing a version and 2) RIM not concerned it would cannibalize PB Video Chat users.
    02-13-12 02:20 PM
    Today was going to be the deadline for the offer – but due to the overwhelming interest in the offer, we’re extending it one more time. How much interest? There have been over 1,500 app submissions as of last Friday and over 6600 new developers registered in the BlackBerry App World™ storefront. We have teams working around the clock to approve vendor registrations and app submissions. Because of the high demand, approvals are taking longer than normal – we appreciate your patience.
    devblog.blackberry.com
    Seems a lot of apps are coming. I hope that Handmark output is not representative for other Andriod conversions. And given the time frame for new developments, I guess there is a rather large number of apps with very little functionality coming, but at least that promo created intereset among developers, what can be good in the coming months and for BB 10.
    Last edited by Rjinswand; 02-13-12 at 02:25 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-13-12 02:22 PM
    We can make the difference, i've ask'd to many android dev to port their app that i use with my samsung on the playbook, most of them didn't know they could do it but was happy to increase their customer with another os and they were impresssed by the simplicity. Some of them reply to told me the app was send and approved by appworld.

I hope a few of them will receive free playbook and add more of their app
    Last edited by Drashak; 02-13-12 at 04:23 PM.
    02-13-12 04:21 PM
    I just hope that App World will have a category for Native apps and Android apps. I have an Android phone currently, and they have a absolute ton of apps. However, and totally my own opinion, 97% of the apps look and/or function horrible on their native android platform, and obviously that translated the same for using it on 2.0 beta.

Going to the Blackberry for the first time (playbook), I was actually pleased with App World's selection. Sure there were somethings missing, but the quality was so much better. For me, quality is much more important than quantity. With that said, I do concede that there is a need for specific apps.

I hope to see these developers make some native apps using Air, and I would like to see RIM actually make more apps or put some of their phone apps onto the Playbook.
    02-13-12 04:38 PM
    Personally, I will be surprised if there is any sort of "flood" of new apps. I just haven't heard anything to suggest it has really taken hold with developers. Coincidentally, Mozilla confirmed today that they are workng on a Metro version of Firefox for Windows 8. Last I checked, they had nothing in the pipeline for Playbook. I am sure there will be some new apps, and some ported Android apps, but I doubt there will be anything approaching a "flood" of them....
    02-13-12 05:23 PM
    Personally, I will be surprised if there is any sort of "flood" of new apps. I just haven't heard anything to suggest it has really taken hold with developers. Coincidentally, Mozilla confirmed today that they are workng on a Metro version of Firefox for Windows 8. Last I checked, they had nothing in the pipeline for Playbook. I am sure there will be some new apps, and some ported Android apps, but I doubt there will be anything approaching a "flood" of them....
    Alex Kinsella on the BB Developer's Blog claims 1,500 new app submissions and 6,600 new developer registrations.

We don't know the quality of these apps (or developers, for that matter), but those are still pretty good numbers.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-13-12 05:26 PM
    I just hope that App World will have a category for Native apps and Android apps. I have an Android phone currently, and they have a absolute ton of apps. However, and totally my own opinion, 97% of the apps look and/or function horrible on their native android platform, and obviously that translated the same for using it on 2.0 beta.
    No, the apps will not be split up into Android and BlackBerry ones. They already announced that to the average user, they would not be able to tell if the app was a native Android app ported over, or a native one.
    02-13-12 05:33 PM
    No, the apps will not be split up into Android and BlackBerry ones. They already announced that to the average user, they would not be able to tell if the app was a native Android app ported over, or a native one.
    To the point that RIM doesn't think that the average user would be able to tell. Well minus the fact that the app starts in the Android Player, many of the screen shots in App World shows that it is an Android app. There is the Android menu bar, with the cell phone icons, and the size of the screen shot is that of an Android screen size. It is hard not to be able to tell when looking at the screen shots shows it is an Android app. Then again, maybe there will be ported Android apps made specifically for tablets (I haven't used an Android tablet), or newer Android OS apps will have the capabilities to be higher quality (visually at least and without a crazy stretched look and strange button layouts).

Not meaning to shoot the messenger here. Thank you for the information Oniberry, that little rant is meant toward RIM.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 02-13-12 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Realized that RIM isn't reading this, so maybe it is more of a "Really??" vent rather than a rant.
    02-13-12 07:23 PM
    I think we will. I've put through 6 OS2 only apps already and helped 4 more developers pump out OS2 only apps this week too. We will see more clutter and garbage (guaranteed) but we will see a lot of golden gems come out of this too.

Very exciting time
    Thunderbuck and rjshahan like this.
    02-14-12 02:35 AM
    Flood or no flood, I just want a proper PDF reader. The usability of the PlayBook will increase four-fold with one.
    02-14-12 02:57 AM
    We can make the difference, i've ask'd to many android dev to port their app that i use with my samsung on the playbook, most of them didn't know they could do it but was happy to increase their customer with another os and they were impresssed by the simplicity. Some of them reply to told me the app was send and approved by appworld.

I hope a few of them will receive free playbook and add more of their app
    I think everyone should contact with devs and ask them to make there apps available for PB, If every one did that App world would have thousands of awesome apps !
    KermEd likes this.
    02-14-12 06:00 AM
    I got a ton of 2.0 updates for my games the other day, enabling a few that didn't even run before on the dev build! The ramp up is here....
    02-14-12 01:36 PM
    If are you are still on OS ver1, you will see a ton of apps as I don't think you can currently see all the android apps that are now available and visible if you are running the beta 2.0 version.

There have been several android versions of apps that I've installed (and even purchased) running beta 2.0 from app world that are android based.
    02-14-12 02:21 PM
    I think everyone should contact with devs and ask them to make there apps available for PB, If every one did that App world would have thousands of awesome apps !
    I bugged the maker of some TDs for Android last night to tell him about the extended free PB offer (even if you cashed in on the old offer, you can cash in again) and to let him know the apps work when converted. Hes looking into it now . Good idea.
    02-14-12 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD