Is this jokeware or malware? All it does is upload or download "something" that takes about a half hour then does nothing. Free app with no allowance for bad reviews.. what does this thing actually do? Scary. How did it get approved? Even scarier.
    07-21-11 01:32 PM
    You could read the description for yourself:

Fireplace App turns your BlackBerry� into a realistic fire place . Spice up a party, entertain the kids, or just keep warm! Authentic crackling sounds with adjustable volume makes it even better!

Might appeal to some, especially hooked up to your HD TV. I didn't download the app when I saw it because I couldn't see the point of it. Why did you download it?
    07-21-11 01:45 PM
    Yo bro....that fireplace app is baller. I use it all the time. Helps me and the gf fall asleep. Adds a cool fireplace to my hdtv also cause Bell canada is mad wack with having the aquarium channel almost all year round. Its only around christmas where they have the fireplace. I probably use the fireplace app more often then 90% of my apps.

Its free and its awesome. Don't hate. It does exactly what it was supposed to do.
    07-21-11 01:55 PM
    its just a novelty app...relax
    Just Me likes this.
    07-21-11 02:54 PM
    Is this jokeware or malware? All it does is upload or download "something" that takes about a half hour then does nothing. Free app with no allowance for bad reviews.. what does this thing actually do? Scary. How did it get approved? Even scarier.
    I downloaded the HD++ & like you it took almost 25min then did nothing...so I closed it...the following day I was browzing my videos and noticed an orange video tape, wondered WTF is this, pressed and low & behold it was the Fireplace HD++ version of the app, a 20min video of "snap, crakle, pop"...go figure
    Cheers
    cadoll and Just Me like this.
    07-21-11 03:05 PM
    I didn't even think to look in my "videos" section... Thank you! I, too, enjoy the ambiance of the fireplace.
    07-21-11 03:16 PM
    So this app is really just a long video? If it's free why don't they just put a link to the MP4 file?

Stupid that RIM would even put it out as an app
    07-21-11 05:22 PM
    i think we need the turkey cooking on a fire app....
    07-21-11 05:26 PM
    Yo bro....that fireplace app is baller. I use it all the time. Helps me and the gf fall asleep. Adds a cool fireplace to my hdtv also cause Bell canada is mad wack with having the aquarium channel almost all year round. Its only around christmas where they have the fireplace. I probably use the fireplace app more often then 90% of my apps.

Its free and its awesome. Don't hate. It does exactly what it was supposed to do.
    its just a novelty app...relax
    I downloaded the HD++ & like you it took almost 25min then did nothing...so I closed it...the following day I was browzing my videos and noticed an orange video tape, wondered WTF is this, pressed and low & behold it was the Fireplace HD++ version of the app, a 20min video of "snap, crakle, pop"...go figure
    Cheers
    So it's not really an "app" then it's a downloader? How was I to know? I still haven't found the video but will keep my eyes open - thanks - was just afraid it might be malware....

07-21-11 05:38 PM
    Ok I just wasted another 30 minutes watching the progress bar - it got done and just stared at me...and no video in my video folder....so much for my Friday night hot date...
    07-21-11 07:28 PM
    This app is garbage. It really screwed up my PlayBook when I unistalled it too, was freezing and had to do a hard reboot to get the PB happy again.

Downloaded it is a joke (my dad loves the fireplace on TV every Christmas). Mistake.
    07-21-11 08:15 PM
    I don't know why you're complaining -- I have Fireplace Fire and FireplaceHD! And like them both and hope fore more yule log goodness in the form of updates.
    07-21-11 11:50 PM
    I don't know why you're complaining -- I have Fireplace Fire and FireplaceHD! And like them both and hope fore more yule log goodness in the form of updates.
    Well the fact that it doesn't work would be a good reason to complain, but really not complaining just trying to figure out wtf is up with it -

I can't find the video that it supposedly downloaded....

I had some weird scrolling issues before I uninstalled it as well, not sure if its related, but uninstalling it fixed it- so where did it put my video if not in the video folder hmmmm....
    07-22-11 08:15 AM
    This applications needs access to your files, inexplicably, to run. Those who get the freeze have not given this permission.

You'd have to be a complete and total sucker to allow any application access to your files without knowing who the company is and what their privacy policies are. Even then, you are taking a risk with your personal information, photographs, files, etc.

In the case of a cheapo novelty application, if Snapple is any guide, most of these developers are likely more interested in harvesting such information, which is far more valuable than the purchase price.

Sure, some developers are innocent. How do you know? Only takes one bad apple for your archives to be elsewhere forever.

Enjoy your dooshy little fireplace everyone!
    07-22-11 01:18 PM
    this is great app... only if they will add and allow us to barbecue hotdog in stick with marshmallow...
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-22-11 11:05 PM
    I wonder if the author got a free Playbook out of the deal
    07-23-11 12:19 AM
    Hi all
    I have tried about 5 or 6 times to do this but it hangs on 'saving'...
    If it's free, maybe someone who has the video can post a link here? Then there's also no concern for those worried about access to their file system ; )
    07-23-11 11:56 AM
    This applications needs access to your files, inexplicably, to run. Those who get the freeze have not given this permission.

You'd have to be a complete and total sucker to allow any application access to your files without knowing who the company is and what their privacy policies are. Even then, you are taking a risk with your personal information, photographs, files, etc.

In the case of a cheapo novelty application, if Snapple is any guide, most of these developers are likely more interested in harvesting such information, which is far more valuable than the purchase price.

Sure, some developers are innocent. How do you know? Only takes one bad apple for your archives to be elsewhere forever.

Enjoy your dooshy little fireplace everyone!
    Ahh that must be it. I did deny it access to my files, what am I, a sucker? FREE always has a catch there is no such thing as a free lunch - just what is this app up to I am still suspicious. Just like those free "screensavers" that really monitor your every move....How much is it uploading while it downloads?
    07-23-11 03:26 PM
    So, just so I have the story straight... You downloaded an app that you did not need nor want and then refused the author's request to access your file system. You started this thread because the app was just sitting there doing nothing and you thought that it might be malware of some kind.

I assume you also did your due diligence and looked for other apps by the same author and you carefully read the reviews to determine what others thought of the app. You also must have read the app's description to find out what the app had to offer and determine whether you wanted to download it.

You probably also read the several posts in this thread which indicated that many people who downloaded the app are quite happy with it.

So, after all this careful consideration, you are now convinced that while some developers are innocent, most of them are only after your private information. Further, you advise against downloading any app from App World because all it takes is one bad apple for your archives to be elsewhere forever.

All I can say is thanks for the public service. You have made App World a safer place to do business. Well done.

PS. One kind person downloaded my app and felt compelled to write a review. In it he said that he knew nothing about astronomy and did not know what the app was supposed to do. Because he could not determine whether the app worked or not, he felt it deserved a half-star rating. He said that he would have given more stars if he understood it better.

Was that you by any chance?
    07-23-11 11:36 PM
    Here is an alternate theory. Disclaimer: it is shear speculation - the best way to find out for certain is to contact the developer and ask.

I think perhaps that the developer has created an HD movie and thinks that it may be of interest to some users. In the early release, his app downloaded the movie to the shared directory and everything worked fine. He then became worried that users could bypass the app and simply play the movie. So he made some changes, perhaps to download the content to the application data directory (which is inaccessible to the public.) At this point, something has gone horribly wrong and he is frantically trying to troubleshoot the problem and fix the app.

The way that App World is currently set up makes makes it extremely difficult to correct a problem like this one. It is impossible for the developer to revert back to a previous version while corrections are being coded and tested. And it could take several days for the new version to be approved by the testing house.

There is only one way to find out for sure - ask him via the support email address. He probably does not appreciate more people writing negative reviews about his app. He most certainly does not appreciate people speculating that his app is malware.
    07-24-11 07:27 AM
    If I were anything resembling a serious developer, I'd state up front in my description that:

1. I need to access your files
    2. Why I need to access your files
    3. What specifically I will and will not access and what I will and will not do with the information

Snapple just had their little SNAFU with the secret GPS files, many studies are out indicating that application developers are harvesting information like plagues of tics and leeches to blood.

This is an era of very severe and worsening privacy violation. Some of our pictures and information could cost us our jobs or worse if it got in the wrong place.

The burden is not in any way, shape or form on the consumer to do anything but protect him or herself. Nowhere in the fireplace description was there mention of why the sudden shift to needing files access. No surprise whatsoever that some got confused or disoriented. The fact that some people are happy with the application is a complete red herring to the issue. We have no idea if their privacy has been compromised or not.

P.S.

The word is "sheer"
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    07-24-11 05:39 PM
    I should add that it's a colossal letdown to me that the Playbook security is so broad and not anywhere near as line item as the Blackberry.

Why must it be "Files"... we should be able to wall off segments of files, such as pictures to applications that don't need any such thing, etc. etc.

In this age of such growing concern and violation, such line item control would be a HUGE operational advantage that would be a giant feather in the cap for marketing to consumers and a truly decisive edge in enterprise branding.

Currently I put nothing of any personal importance or identification whatsoever on the device until I get a better understanding of the device's security--and the security controls became more granular. I've also denied access to many applications that make it difficult or impossible to ascertain why they need access, what they do and do not access, and what their privacy policy entails.

I am pleased with the kernel certification, but we've got a long way to go as the real danger is in third party application access, as we've seen to such revolting and wanton betrayal in Snapple apps.

Word to the wise, friends.

Caveat Emptor
    07-24-11 05:48 PM
    Further, I'd pay quite a handsome sum to a third party that again does RIM's job by offering this capability.
    07-24-11 05:49 PM
    Nothing like the feeling of a warm fireplace in the middle of summer.
    07-24-11 08:58 PM
    So, just so I have the story straight... You downloaded an app that you did not need nor want and then refused the author's request to access your file system. You started this thread because the app was just sitting there doing nothing and you thought that it might be malware of some kind.

I assume you also did your due diligence and looked for other apps by the same author and you carefully read the reviews to determine what others thought of the app. You also must have read the app's description to find out what the app had to offer and determine whether you wanted to download it.

You probably also read the several posts in this thread which indicated that many people who downloaded the app are quite happy with it.

So, after all this careful consideration, you are now convinced that while some developers are innocent, most of them are only after your private information. Further, you advise against downloading any app from App World because all it takes is one bad apple for your archives to be elsewhere forever.

All I can say is thanks for the public service. You have made App World a safer place to do business. Well done.

PS. One kind person downloaded my app and felt compelled to write a review. In it he said that he knew nothing about astronomy and did not know what the app was supposed to do. Because he could not determine whether the app worked or not, he felt it deserved a half-star rating. He said that he would have given more stars if he understood it better.

Was that you by any chance?
    wtf are you talking about or getting at? I downloaded what seemed to be an innocent simple app that showed a fireplace and of course i wanted it - Needed it is a stretch. Instead i was shocked to find it needed access to my files why?no explanation. i denied it of course all i want is a fireplace i dont want it having access to my files. And then it didnt work so i started a thread to figure out why. As it spent ten minutes seemingly sucking my data out with no explanation, my concerns were legitimate. Are you the developer? if so your communication with the user sucks. Real time, pre-download and post download. Any more questions?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-25-11 at 06:04 AM.
    07-25-11 05:25 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD