I am trying to figure out which tablet i want, I love the Blackberry form factor, but. I went in a local best buy to test out the browser on a site i frequent and a link on the page is not supported. I then tried the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and got the same thing, but I can install Firefox on it and the link opens. So my question has anyone been able to load a working Firefox on their Playbook? If not then I'll have to go Android?
    07-27-11 12:27 PM
    Seriously? The thing that will make or break the deal for you on a tablet is whether or not it supports firefox?

Just go get an iPad... please.
    07-27-11 12:44 PM
    No firefox on iPad

M.Rizk likes this.
    07-27-11 12:46 PM
    Android Player + firefox will probably work eventually (if it doesn't already).

Just a heads up that Firefox on android is terrible though...
    07-27-11 12:46 PM
    papped, It did, and Lvjustin, I said i need it to open a site i use frequently (thats the deal breaker) , not just supporting Firefox READ!
    07-27-11 01:04 PM
    Which site is it? The playbook's browser is supposed to be one of the best and should load almost all websites just fine.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-27-11 01:08 PM
    https://applicationmanager.gov/Login...cancyID=477594 it will not open in Chrome either, have to use IE to open
    These are the browser requirements for Application Manager.

Your browser must support Secure Socket Layer with 128-bit encryption.

Javascript must be enabled.

If you use a pop-up blocker, you may need to adjust it to allow new windows to open for Online Help and for using the View/Print My Answers functions.

Your browser must be set to allow session cookies from applicationmanager.org.

You can use any of these browser versions or higher with Application Manager. They have been tested and are known to work.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0

AOL 7

Firefox 1

Mozilla 1.7

Netscape
    this is what i get:
    07-27-11 01:22 PM
    Strange really because the PB browser DOES support those options...

Firefox 1? AOL 7?

Although maybe WebKit doesn't have the hacks the others have?

Edit : Holy crap that's horrible on the PB... First time as a web developer I see such horrible horrible things.
    Last edited by MaxxJag; 07-27-11 at 01:28 PM.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-27-11 01:25 PM
    Not sure, but while i was in the store I went to the android market on the Tab, downloaded firefox, went to the site and it opened right up. I really like the playbook but can't have those issues
    07-27-11 01:29 PM
    I don't own a Playbook, but does Opera (desktop version, not Opera Mini) work on the Playbook?

The site opens using the Opera browser in Windows.

07-27-11 01:31 PM
    Might work on android player. but there isn't any other browsers than the native one. Except for that font one, which also uses the native browser.
    07-27-11 01:34 PM
    i have a PB and love it. however, being a Real Estate agent in Toronto means that i need to use MLS for work. until 2 weeks ago that site only allows explorer as a browser. now firefox and whatever Mac people use. i have resigned myself to wait until December comes and RIM and Toronto MLS get on the same page. however, if someone out there has a suggestion as to how i could work around this issue i'm all ears.....
    07-27-11 04:12 PM
    No FIRE No FOX Please !! , It is PB world

the PB browser has earned laurels (even from its critics) for being the best browser among all the tablets our there.
    07-27-11 05:28 PM
    i have a PB and love it. however, being a Real Estate agent in Toronto means that i need to use MLS for work. until 2 weeks ago that site only allows explorer as a browser. now firefox and whatever Mac people use. i have resigned myself to wait until December comes and RIM and Toronto MLS get on the same page. however, if someone out there has a suggestion as to how i could work around this issue i'm all ears.....
    Not sure if MLS has a internal type website, but the realtor.ca (public MLS I think) does work. Perhaps MLS could do an app for realtors (or someone could do an app for realtors using MLS)
    07-27-11 05:34 PM
    Might work on android player. but there isn't any other browsers than the native one. Except for that font one, which also uses the native browser.
    Watch for my app to hit app world (hopefully) soon. It's a simple web browser aimed at speed and full screen browsing with no sleeping. Thought it was a good idea to have a second browser and couldn't stand the font change in the comic sans one.

And currently Firefox in the android player doesn't work. It needs access to some HTML files that just aren't there and can't be created due to permissions. Could be something that is "wrapped" in the future. Honestly though, would this site work on the Android Firefox? It's not exactly the same code base as the desktop editions.
    bobocox1 likes this.
    07-27-11 05:37 PM
    Watch for my app to hit app world (hopefully) soon. It's a simple web browser aimed at speed and full screen browsing with no sleeping. Thought it was a good idea to have a second browser and couldn't stand the font change in the comic sans one.

And currently Firefox in the android player doesn't work. It needs access to some HTML files that just aren't there and can't be created due to permissions. Could be something that is "wrapped" in the future. Honestly though, would this site work on the Android Firefox? It's not exactly the same code base as the desktop editions.
    Could your app change the UA Strings in the browser? If so, then it will be better
    Sorry if I rambling, didn't know much about apps developing tho...
    07-28-11 12:19 AM
    Not sure, but while i was in the store I went to the android market on the Tab, downloaded firefox, went to the site and it opened right up. I really like the playbook but can't have those issues
    LOL! Really if you're really serious and not just trying to bait us, I would strongly recommend an Android tab for you. The PB is awesome but not quite ready for sites requiring AOL 7.
    07-28-11 12:33 AM
    The site is doing a browser check in the code, and if is different from what they check for, you get the error message. Ask them to include the PlayBook browser. I am sure the site will run fine once you are past the check.
    07-28-11 12:51 AM
    Love my playbook but browser cannot open my webmail 1&1.fr. Disspointed but that much. Hope some update in the future will fix this.
    07-28-11 09:55 AM
    Love my playbook but browser cannot open my webmail 1&1.fr. Disspointed but that much. Hope some update in the future will fix this.
    use andriod player to read mail. it'll work.
    07-28-11 12:11 PM
    use andriod player to read mail. it'll work.
    I preefer to wait until android player official release. Im affraid of screw my beloved playbook.
    Thanks.
    07-28-11 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD