Since we released SouthernTouch Spades on May 20, we've averaged about 3 sales a day. This figure is inflated with three very good weeks of sales driven by two App World features and a review on CrackBerry (SouthernTouch Spades - an addictive card game for the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com).

Even for the smallest development team (2 people), the $2.08 of profit generated by 3 sales doesn't go very far. Fortunately, we are finally realizing a measurable uptick in sales. Over the past week, we're averaging about 7 sales a day on the PlayBook. While this isn't life changing, it is a good deal less depressing.

There has been a lot of speculation regarding RIM and the PlayBook. I hope they stick it out. The PlayBook isn't without its flaws (come on integrated e-mail!), but the fit and finish of the device, the ease of using the OS, and the welcome inclusion of Flash support make it a worthy counter to the iPad. And after playing with a Kindle Fire over the weekend, I can say the PlayBook has that newcomer beat in the performance category.

Thanks to everyone for your support (read: money). Despite what the pundits have to say, we're going to stick with the ol' PlayBook for a while longer. We're working on a new Solitaire game. While it won't be revolutionary, I feel like it's shaping up to be a fun and handy take on the classic, with a few twists. We're also continuing development of a algorithm for Backgammon. (It's a beast.)

Thanks again!

Darwin Pinder
    SouthernTouch Technologies - Apps
    Buy SouthernTouch Spades - Download SouthernTouch Spades - Buy Games from BlackBerry App World
    Last edited by CodeNaked; 12-27-11 at 12:55 PM.
    12-27-11 09:45 AM
    I've had your game for a couple weeks now, and love it! It's just as good of a time waster as Angry Birds is...

Looking forward to checking your Solitaire game too. I haven't found one I like yet.
    12-27-11 10:18 AM
    I have your game and I do like playing when I have some idle time. However, I sure wish someone would develop Bid Whist app for the PB.

I use to have Bid Whist on my iPAQ 4355 and liked it because I could play by myself and didn't have to hunt down 3 other players. It's similar to Spades but with so many more options to play the game!
    12-27-11 12:12 PM
    Congratulations on the uptick! I'm buying the game now. So today I may be number 8?
    12-27-11 12:14 PM
    That is good news. I think if things were easier to find it would help also. Most of the time I have to search for the name of what I'm looking for or I can't find it.
    12-27-11 12:23 PM
    I have your game and I do like playing when I have some idle time. However, I sure wish someone would develop Bid Whist app for the PB.

I use to have Bid Whist on my iPAQ 4355 and liked it because I could play by myself and didn't have to hunt down 3 other players. It's similar to Spades but with so many more options to play the game!
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into a Bid Whist game as soon as I have Solitaire up and running. I could almost add it as a gameplay variant to our Spades game, but to be honest the code is complex enough to manage as it is.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    SouthernTouch Technologies - Home
    12-27-11 01:13 PM
    Another good project would we Cribbage. I have yet to see one on the Playbook.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    J...
    12-27-11 01:29 PM
    Thanks CodeNaked! I'm looking forward to your new solitaire game in the meantime!
    12-27-11 01:30 PM
    That is good news. I think if things were easier to find it would help also. Most of the time I have to search for the name of what I'm looking for or I can't find it.
    I'm sure that CodeNaked won't mind if I remind everyone that it makes it much easier for casual browsers to find an app if it has lots of reviews in App World . The more reviews - the higher the app ranks in it category. The higher the placement - the higher the visibility. And no developer complains when his app stands out in its category!
    12-27-11 02:24 PM
    I bought Spades simply to support you guys and encourage the development of backgammon, which I suggested (among others) way back when.
    12-27-11 02:30 PM
    I bought Spades simply to support you guys and encourage the development of backgammon, which I suggested (among others) way back when.
    That's what I was thinking. I'm going to go check it out now. Also adding to the list of people who would buy a good backgammon and cribbage game. Thanks for supporting the PB.
    12-27-11 02:52 PM
    Another one sold today! A PB app developed by some folks from LA, how can I say no to that? Geaux Saints!
    12-27-11 03:05 PM
    Darwin,

I wonder how many app developers face the same problem regardless of tablet platform? How many card games are available on ios for example, how do you differentiate your product from a similar product?

Fortunately us Blackberry folks are typically a loyal bunch. And participating in a forum discussion like this gives us users the chance to meet developers like yourself.

I am happy to support as many developers as I can on the Playbook, provided you are not making an ebooklet app or a jig saw puzzle . Thank you for sticking with it and please look forward to at least one more sale of your apps as soon as I finish typing this.

Not sure if there is sufficient demand but if you release a Euchre game I'd buy that as well.
    LimeTripBlog likes this.
    12-27-11 03:13 PM
    Glad to hear this. It really is a good Spades game, which is impressive to me because of the complexity of the AI required for teammates and opponents.

Keep up the great work!
    12-28-11 10:05 AM
    Glad to hear that you are sticking with Playbook Development. I have had your game, since I bought my Playbook and have immensely enjoyed it.

Keep up the good work and the 'keep on developin'....

can't wait till Solitaire is out.

I think i speak on behalf of the rest of us, please keep us apprised once it is released onto App World.

Cheers
    12-28-11 10:16 AM
    Thanks for all the praise! I started SouthernTouch Technologies specifically to write a better Spades app. I had been very unhappy with the larger development companies' offerings (you know who they are). I am still not satisfied with our AI, though I believe it is superior to any of the available alternatives. (They say you never finish software--you just give up.)

I targeted the PlayBook first, mostly because I qualified for RIM's free developer PlayBook promotion. I have since adapted the AIR application to run on the iPhone/iPad (last month) and the Kindle Fire (last week), and my partner ported it to Windows Phone 7 (in June). We haven't exactly set the other platforms on fire yet, but it's still early.

It has been an interesting ride. We've sold around 1,500 total copies in nearly 50 countries. I live in a town of 3,500 people where, to my knowledge, no one owns a PlayBook. We appreciate the opportunity to share our vision, and we hope to keep creating products people want to buy. New projects are moving slower than we would like, but we have not yet been able to shrug off the shackles of our "real" job. Maybe sometime in 2012....

Regards,

Darwin Pinder
    12-28-11 12:30 PM
    I remember when this app was first released for the playbook not being to sure about it. Seemed ok but couldn't justify the price. Since then ive tired to just buy apps that are well made and I know I will enjoy regardless of price. definitely check it out the next time I'm on wifi.
    12-28-11 03:32 PM
    I remember when this app was first released for the playbook not being to sure about it. Seemed ok but couldn't justify the price. Since then ive tired to just buy apps that are well made and I know I will enjoy regardless of price. definitely check it out the next time I'm on wifi.
    If it makes you feel any better, the iOS version is $1.99.

Thanks,

Darwin Pinder
    12-28-11 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD