Google Maps in Browser now works under OS2 (in OS1 the browser was always loading)- FREE "APP"!

I found the following link works:
    Google Maps

After loading the page you can put a favorite icon on your desktop.

This link allows full access street view, directions, zoom, sat.view, and road view
    The first time you load the page it may show 'loading', just ignore the note.
    Ah, if only it could use GPS

Edit for GPS. As buzstarfield said, click the block above the little guy on the left side
    Last edited by mandony; 03-05-12 at 05:33 PM.
    lotuslanderz and castleruins like this.
    03-04-12 10:48 PM
    Ah, if only it could use GPS
    It can use GPS! There's a little square on the left side of the map just above the street view icon. Tap it and it will ask for permission to use GPS.
    lotuslanderz and castleruins like this.
    03-04-12 11:06 PM
    It didn't work before 2.0.0.7971. Now, map.google works fine.
    03-04-12 11:08 PM
    Hey,thanks for the tip, that's pretty cool.
    03-05-12 12:48 AM
    Great news, thanks. How do you allow permission on the PB? Mine just says Google doesn't have permission, no option to give it. A search only gave directions for Chrome, FF and IE. Or downloading a toolbar. I hope that's not my only option. Tia.

Edit to add... Found it, go to browser settings / permission -- have to allow for all sites.
    Last edited by castleruins; 03-05-12 at 09:06 AM.
    03-05-12 08:55 AM
    Update Instructions:

1) Set your browser "permissions", "allow website access to access my location" to "ON"
    2) Turn on GPS (PB GPS) by clicking the square over the Street View guy then select allow Google to 'access' the PB
    3) Ignore any pop-up saying 'loading'

"Print" to Google Chome does not work

The following work (options in the drop-down in the right side (first to read 'traffic')
    Traffic
    Terrain
    Photos
    Bicycling
    Videos
    Transit

The "map view" options work:
    Satellite
    Map

'Directions' works

'Change Default Location' works

'Zoom' and 'move' work

'Link' option allows to copy a link to PB clipboard

If the browser screen locks then reload the page
    Last edited by mandony; 03-05-12 at 05:27 PM.
    03-05-12 05:23 PM
    it still cant determine my location for me, i think i have ne of the units that the gps just does not work on it
    03-05-12 05:36 PM
    The best way to use Google maps for is via the free version of the Simple Browser app. It's a webapp and works a lot better than in the PlayBook browser. Google.com/maps
    You may even be lucky to have the gps working
    03-05-12 05:40 PM
    it still cant determine my location for me, i think i have ne of the units that the gps just does not work on it
    The Google maps GPS implementation gives up very easily, as do some other PB apps like Bing. I recommend that you "warm up" GPS by using an app that is more persistent inits attempts to get a fix - like the free Compass app, Magellan Compass or my personal favourite, What's up (an astronomy app).
    03-05-12 08:06 PM
    mine doesnt work..
    I've already turn the permissions ON, but it says the location could not be determined
    03-05-12 09:45 PM
    mine doesnt work..I've already turn the permissions ON, but it says the location could not be determined
    To initialize the actual location most people leave the PB in an area with open sky for about 10-15 minutes. After it should lock on close to your position.
    03-05-12 09:49 PM
    Why not just sideload the android Google maps app? It seems to work fairly well for me.
    03-05-12 10:19 PM
    To initialize the actual location most people leave the PB in an area with open sky for about 10-15 minutes. After it should lock on close to your position.
    I think it could be a problem with my playbook settings or something else,
    because I'm using the same wifi connection with my laptop, and my laptop was no problem at all to show my current position
    03-05-12 11:37 PM
    The program What's Up could did find my location, but Bing didn't.
    I hope Rim will update the software of the GPS in future firmwares, sometimes, it's like there's no GPS build-in at all.
    Fortunately, What's Up could manage to use it so I'm convinced.
    03-06-12 07:02 AM
    This little black box keeps getting better and better!!!!!!!!
    nep1030 likes this.
    03-06-12 07:45 AM
    Why not just sideload the android Google maps app? It seems to work fairly well for me.
    I concur. The Latitude app is much smoother and also supports pinch to zoom, etc.

RCK
    03-06-12 01:18 PM
    The problem with Google in the browser is that it's designed for use with a mouse, and not for tablets. No pinch to zoom capability in anything visual on a tablet is ridiculous.

This is one of those things on the PB where an app is a necessity...and no, not the sideloaded stuff.
    03-06-12 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD