Was searching the forum threads about how to access google docs on the playbook. It was suggested to use Files and Folders, which costs 2.99 in the app store (3 day trial is available). Well, I tried it out and it is awesome! I was able to easily connect to both Google Docs and Box, both which I have accounts on. I used the Box app before but it felt slow and clunky, so I haven't really used it. Now that I have files and folders, I will use my cloud storage a lot more on the PB. The cool thing with Google Docs is it gave me the option to open the file on the cloud or download and open. Pretty cool. And on box, I had uploaded a bunch of pictures, so I wanted to see what I could do with them in Files and Folders. Well, to my surprise, I was able to select thumbnail view and quickly got my thumbnails to show. I then went in to slideshow and it ran flawlessly. The only problem with slideshow is that the PB screen cuts off after awhile, but that's not really the fault of the app.
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-07-12 09:42 AM
    Thanks for the kind words! We're thrilled that so many users like our app!

Please note that there is a known issue with Box caused by a rather sudden change on their end. We are fixing it right now, and hope to have a new version available later this week. For details, see this post. The other cloud services continue to work normally.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 05-07-12 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
    05-07-12 11:19 AM
    I never really used Google Docs before but now have Google Drive installed on my PC, so I just drag and drop files there and it's in the cloud. I could easily get to these docs on remote PC's, and now with this app I can just as easily access them on my PB, so I am pretty happy!

Thanks for the info about Box. I will keep an eye out for the update.
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-07-12 12:09 PM
    Are we going to see Skydrive added? I love Files and folders.
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-07-12 05:05 PM
    Marty, check out the help function in F&F. It contains an explanation of how the Playbook folder structure is layed out.

You say you used "Dropbox" to save a file. Do you mean the Dropbox feature in F&F? Or did you use the Android Dropbox app?

If you ever get "lost" in the file system with F&F, just back up as far as it will go and then follow the highlighted folders. That will allways guide you back to the Documents folder.

Furthermore, unless you've changed the settings, the Home button in F&F will take you there too.

The Downloads folder is located "1 up" from your Documents folder:

/accounts/1000/shared
    /accounts/1000/shared/documents
    /accounts/1000/shared/downloads
    Last edited by Innovatology; 05-07-12 at 07:07 PM.
    05-07-12 07:03 PM
    Are we going to see Skydrive added? I love Files and folders.
    We're working on it! We'll be releasing an interim minor update first though, to fix the Box issue and add some other small improvements.
    05-07-12 07:05 PM
    Innovatology, I'm thinking about getting files and folders mostly for the thumbnails for files on my phone for viewing on my PB.. I can't seem to get the thumbs to show up, is there something special I'm supposed to do?
    05-07-12 07:14 PM
    Marty, check out the help function in F&F. It contains an explanation of how the Playbook folder structure is layed out.

You say you used "Dropbox" to save a file. Do you mean the Dropbox feature in F&F? Or did you use the Android Dropbox app?

If you ever get "lost" in the file system with F&F, just back up as far as it will go and then follow the highlighted folders. That will allways guide you back to the Documents folder.

Furthermore, unless you've changed the settings, the Home button in F&F will take you there too.

The Downloads folder is located "1 up" from your Documents folder:

/accounts/1000/shared
    /accounts/1000/shared/documents
    /accounts/1000/shared/downloads
    The Android sideloaded Dropbox. I think I figured it out. The main screen for user activity seems to be the "Shared" folder. At least that's where I see the common "misc" folder associated with Android. I did find the "downloads" folder and found the saved Win text doc and F&F did something the others won't, it was able to view the Win text doc. (.txt).

Buying it right now and also deleting the previous post.
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-07-12 07:28 PM
    Innovatology, I'm thinking about getting files and folders mostly for the thumbnails for files on my phone for viewing on my PB.. I can't seem to get the thumbs to show up, is there something special I'm supposed to do?
    Yes. By default, thumbnails of bridged files are not displayed due to the fact that Bluethooth is rather slow and loading thumbnails for a large number of photos on the phone could take a very, very long time. However, there is an option in the Settings screen in Files & Folders that lets you turn on thumbnails for bridged files. Be aware of the bandwidth issue with Bluetoooth though. It won't be fast.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 05-07-12 at 08:03 PM. Reason: clarification
    05-07-12 08:03 PM
    i used the trial over the weekend, i'm liking it a lot too... think i will pick this up

Thanks!
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-07-12 08:11 PM
    The Android sideloaded Dropbox. I think I figured it out. The main screen for user activity seems to be the "Shared" folder. At least that's where I see the common "misc" folder associated with Android. I did find the "downloads" folder and found the saved Win text doc and F&F did something the others won't, it was able to view the Win text doc. (.txt).

Buying it right now and also deleting the previous post.
    Integration of Android apps into the PlayBook file system isn't 100% optimal (*). It sometimes takes a bit of hunting to find out where an Android app saved the file.

The search function in F&F may help here. Just go to the "shared" folder, tap the search & filter button, type a word or two and hit "Search subfolders".

*) This is especially true for Android apps that were not ported by their original author but just re-packaged by an end-user. One of the many drawbacks of sideloading unsupported apps.
    05-07-12 08:12 PM
    Integration of Android apps into the PlayBook file system isn't 100% optimal (*). It sometimes takes a bit of hunting to find out where an Android app saved the file.

The search function in F&F may help here. Just go to the "shared" folder, tap the search & filter button, type a word or two and hit "Search subfolders".

*) This is especially true for Android apps that were not ported by their original author but just re-packaged by an end-user. One of the many drawbacks of sideloading unsupported apps.
    Thanks. As for Dropbox not being provided by the developer, it is one of the few sideloaded Android apps that does work well. Even the "Back" arrow of the QNXEmulator works. And I think it works better than the native "Bluebox". Bluebox doesn't seem to let you choose where to save a file to, Dropbox does.
    fancyname likes this.
    05-07-12 08:23 PM
    You do realize that Files & Folders has Dropbox built-in, don't you? Just swipe down and tap Dropbox. No need for other apps.
    05-08-12 12:07 AM
    You do realize that Files & Folders has Dropbox built-in, don't you? Just swipe down and tap Dropbox. No need for other apps.
    Agreed, never really use anything else (sometimes android dropbox app for shared folder links etc - can you work this into F&F's by any chance).
    Said it before, my most usefull PB app by a mile.

Would still love .rar support (think I've said that before too )
    Innovatology and ericrangel76 like this.
    05-08-12 01:13 AM
    It's a very good app. Great job dev!
    Innovatology and jcarty like this.
    05-08-12 01:34 AM
    Agreed, never really use anything else (sometimes android dropbox app for shared folder links etc - can you work this into F&F's by any chance).
    Said it before, my most usefull PB app by a mile.
    Yes, shared links for the cloud services are on our (rather long) to-do list.
    05-09-12 03:57 PM
    Yes, shared links for the cloud services are on our (rather long) to-do list.
    Cool...

Noticed you ignored my .rar comment lol
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-09-12 04:35 PM
    Noticed you ignored my .rar comment lol
    Certainly not ignored, I just don't have any news to share about that at the moment.
    05-11-12 05:44 AM
    Certainly not ignored, I just don't have any news to share about that at the moment.
    Just pulling your leg mate, I know it's not that simple...
    (I'll take "at the moment" as a positive sign)
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-11-12 07:12 AM
    I do love your app and use it almost daily. I especially like the ability to upload and download documents to and from my Dropbox account. What I don't like is that when I edit a document on my PlayBook and then upload it to Dropbox it makes a "Copy of . . ." and I end up with two documents. A bit annoying and could easily double my storage rate. Are you (Innovatology) working on a way to sync files with Dropbox or one of the other cloud services? Or do we have to wait for native apps to do this?
    05-11-12 10:26 AM
    We're working on it!
    05-11-12 08:41 PM
    Files & Folders v4.1, which fixes a recent Box problem and adds some new features, is now available in App World. Release notes are here.
    PanaSama likes this.
    05-16-12 01:38 AM
    Another nice update
    For the lazy (that's you too Innovatology ):

"Changes in v4.1 (May 14th, 2012)
    FIXED! A recent change to the Box servers caused a problem downloading newer files.
    NEW!Sort folders by name, type, extension, size, date, ascending or descending.
    NEW! Swipe from left to right to navigate to the parent folder.
    NEW! Files & Folders can now be protected with a startup password.
    NEW! Optionally keep the screen on: never, while active or only while in the slideshow.
    ENHANCED! When searching, the left pane now displays the location of the selected file.
    ENHANCED! More performance improvements.
    NOTE! We support Google Drive too!"
    Innovatology likes this.
    05-16-12 02:26 AM
    Not lazy, just wanted to show people our FB page ;-)
    Barljo and yanicmb like this.
    05-16-12 10:24 PM
    We take all reviews of Files & Folders seriously. With an average of 4.5, most of them are 4 or 5 stars and very positive or constructive, or both. But yesterday we received this:

Title: Valery
    Rating: 0.5 stars
    Date: May 23, 2012 2:39:58 PM
    Release: 4.1.2
    Review Body: doesn't cut, copy and paste as you says. useless. just spending 2 bucks

This is rather strange, because we haven't had any support requests by e-mail about copy & paste problems. With thousands of users, we are usually quickly aware of any problems that slip past our own quality control.

It's also strange because the user bought the app. A problem like this would have shown up in the trial version.

Are there any issues in the v4.1 release relating to copy & paste we need to know about?

And Valery, if you're reading this, drop us an e-mail. We're here to help.
    05-23-12 10:12 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD