Someone at TechArena went through most of the file browsers and provided a summary of each one. The summary is a little short for my taste but from my experience its somewhat accurate. Here is the post:

Best File Browser for PlayBook - Portable Devices

I have to say File Browser is definitely the must-have app for the PlayBook. I am loving the frequent updates (my friend actually got annoyed at how often it updates lol).

I would rank AIR browser second as it is free and does all the basics (aside from a few minor bugs). I probably wouldn't waste time and money (I already purchased 3 of the other file manager apps... can I get a refund?) with the other file manager apps until ofcourse there is a native one from RIM.

Anyone know if I can get a refund on the other apps?
    06-28-11 08:20 PM
    I very much doubt you'll get a refund for apps, wouldn't even know where to begin. I think all apps should be free for a trial day or two and then you have the option to buy the app if you want if not you can remove it. As some apps ore so so sh_te
    06-29-11 06:01 AM
    I very much doubt you'll get a refund for apps, wouldn't even know where to begin. I think all apps should be free for a trial day or two and then you have the option to buy the app if you want if not you can remove it. As some apps ore so so sh_te
    Yes! Most software has a try before you buy feather. Lets have that for apps
    06-29-11 07:26 AM
    Are you people for real? 99c and $1.99 is too much for you to give to these folks who are working their butts off trying to develop apps that everyone on this forum tells us all the time they need. Pathetic.
    06-29-11 08:36 AM
    Are you people for real? 99c and $1.99 is too much for you to give to these folks who are working their butts off trying to develop apps that everyone on this forum tells us all the time they need. Pathetic.
    I understand where you are coming from. Its not that i object to paying a few dollars for an app. But you often can't tell very much from the description, you have to buy and then you are stuck. ****, for the apps that i keep and use constantly i'd be willing to pay more. But for ones that I buy and then delete i feel kinda cheated. Try before you buy would eliminate the issue even if the cost was higher.

To me Bluebox, File Manager, Playepub, Hello Note, SRT Movie player, dice and dice calculator make my PB a joy to use and are worth $10 each.
    Roo4x4 likes this.
    06-29-11 09:18 AM
    1 single cent is way to much when the app sucks, doesn't matter how hard they work if its junk, if I do junk work I get fired, doesn't matter how hard I work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 11:15 AM
    What about Files and Folders? The built-in drop box is really really nice.
    06-30-11 06:57 PM
    they could be free and perfect and people would still complain. some people aren't happy unless they have something to gripe about. if it was easy they would be creating their own apps. LOL
    07-01-11 05:07 AM
    I use File Browser from Aftab and like it a lot. I've tried others but this is still the best so far. They have updated the app several times since releasing it.
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-01-11 07:34 AM
    What about Files and Folders? The built-in drop box is really really nice.
    1+ for Files and Folders... Really easy to use the dropox intergration is nice... And there's a free trial you can't go wrong with this one...

Sent from my iPad 3G using Tapatalk
    07-01-11 08:10 AM
    they could be free and perfect and people would still complain. some people aren't happy unless they have something to gripe about. if it was easy they would be creating their own apps. LOL
    It sucks to spend money on shoddy software, no matter the price. Once is not a big deal, but the more apps someone tries, the more money they are possibly wasting. I respect the time and effort some devs put in, but that doesnt always translate into good software.

Sent from my spell-checkless PlayBook
    07-01-11 10:06 AM
    Sorry, but half the apps are garbage and the unfortunate truth is that we can't find out if a particular app is one of the jewels in the rough or the typical garbage until we've given up our hard earned money. Don't try and pass it off as a small amount, $.99 - $2.99. That's PER APP; it adds up quickly and wasting 10 - 20 bucks on sh*t apps isn't something we should have to do. I don't know about apple, but on android, apps can be returned and money refunded if the app is trash.

If there were more free apps, there would be MORE downloads. Developers should put ads in the apps, and make the apps free. There would be more downloads, developers would get ad revenue. If apps could be returned for a refund it would also discourage developers from putting crap apps on the market. Fewer crap apps on the market = more downloads. Option to return for refund = more downloads. More downloads ultimately = more $ for developers.

Problem is: without the option of a refund, a lot of us are afraid to pay the money and download the apps. Since nobody is downloading the apps, the developers aren't getting much money. Since the developers aren't getting much money, the developers aren't developing. Since the developers aren't developing, the app selection sucks. Since the app selection sucks, nobody is buying BB's. Since nobody is buying BB's there aren't as many BB's on the market and in consumer hands. Since there are fewer BB's in consumer hands, there are less people to sell BB apps to. Since there are less people to sell BB apps to, there is again less incentive to develop for BB ... it ain't rocket science, me laddo.

Your argument ....... no. Just no.

There should be 1) free ad supported versions and 2) paid ad free versions of apps. 3) Paid apps should be refundable for a reasonable time after purchase. (Android was 24 hours, now it's like 15 minutes. 15 minutes is BS. An hour would be more reasonable.) How many apps are available on android? And how about BB? It's worked for android; it would work for BB.

The ratio of paid to free apps for BB is WAY too high. And the average quality is way too low. It is one major reason why I left BB a little over a year ago, and I HOPE they have improved since then. (I have a playbook on the way and I'm on the 9930 waiting list so I'm no troll here just to bash BBerry.)

If you're in the Dallas area: http://www.hunter-law-firm.com
    Last edited by BSFA2008; 07-02-11 at 12:53 AM.
    Send Again likes this.
    07-02-11 12:43 AM
    Someone at TechArena went through most of the file browsers and provided a summary of each one. The summary is a little short for my taste but from my experience its somewhat accurate. Here is the post:

Best File Browser for PlayBook - Portable Devices

I have to say File Browser is definitely the must-have app for the PlayBook. I am loving the frequent updates (my friend actually got annoyed at how often it updates lol).

I would rank AIR browser second as it is free and does all the basics (aside from a few minor bugs). I probably wouldn't waste time and money (I already purchased 3 of the other file manager apps... can I get a refund?) with the other file manager apps until ofcourse there is a native one from RIM.

Anyone know if I can get a refund on the other apps?
    With the exception of My File Manager, I have downloaded all of the apps mentioned in the link that you posted. The following is the main conclusion of that post.

"Clear winner: File Browser by Aftab. All the other apps are lame comparing to this one. The price is good, and it allows you to access your blackberry phone SD card. As a geek, I was happy to be able to get a look at the whole QNX file system (YAY). It also has amazing reviews! Can't go wrong with this app.
    I am going to uninstall all the other crappy file managers and only use File Browser. Post any questions you guys have here."

If you don't mind, I am going to review your review.

First, let me say that I downloaded File Browser specifically because it advertised FTP capability. I was hoping to use this feature in my workflow and was disappointed when I couldn't get it to work. The app connected to my FTP server but could not access the root folder of the data store. Rather than leaving a scathing review, I took the developer's advice and took screen shots of the app and also the of the errors displayed by my FTP server. I did this two weeks ago. I am still waiting for patch so that I can use the app in my daily work.

Being a developer myself, I very seldom leave a review (either positive or negative) because I do not feel qualified to do so. I simply do not have the time to test every advertised feature and write a proper review for every app that I install. I have never installed an app that didn't have some sort of "fatal" problem. Despite the fact that File Browser was completely useless TO ME, I didn't think it would be fair to tell others to uninstall the app, thereby potentially depriving the developer of his livelihood.

On this basis, I give your review a failing grade. Here are my reasons:
    1. "Lots of updates" is not necessarily a good reason to buy an app
    2. "Having amazing reviews" is not necessarily a good reason to buy an app
    3. Being "happy to be able to get a look at the whole QNX file system (YAY)" is not necessarily a good reason to buy an app
    4. Your review is based on another anonymous review that, in your own words is only "somewhat accurate"
    5. iDroid's post begins as follows: "I was very disappointed that RIM didnt include a file browser with the PlayBook so I went out and purchased all the third party file browsers from App World. Here is a summary:" He then proceeds to trash those developers' attempts to quickly rectify the situation. Blaming developers for not being able to rush perfect solutions to market is a bit absurd. The reviewer fails to point out that such software is bound to be poorly tested, buggy and unreliable.
    6. Your review indirectly trashes an app that I do not own (My File Manager) but you have not done sufficient due diligence. Two questions come to mind: What version "crashes all other applications open at the time"? Has the developer fixed the problem?

The reader cannot possibly make an informed decision based on your assertions. On the contrary. your recommendation that I delete my apps and seek a refund is unhelpful because it invites the type of rants that follow your post. Would you rather that the developers in question ignore our pleas to fill the void left by RIM's failure? Wouldn't it be better to keep these valuable apps at least until the developers have a chance to fix them? I think that the answer is obvious.

In conclusion, then, I will only repeat tonyshep's comment:
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-03-11 07:08 AM
    How about RIM licensing all of the app dev's apps and maybe combining the best features, let them crowd-dev/hackathon a new app and give it to us all for free! Probably could fly them all to Waterloo, give them enough Red-Bull and a long weekend a pile of cash and an ongoing royalty and the playbook could ship with a file system until RIM can get it's **** together to actually release a native version.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    07-03-11 09:11 AM
    How about RIM licensing all of the app dev's apps and maybe combining the best features, let them crowd-dev/hackathon a new app and give it to us all for free! Probably could fly them all to Waterloo, give them enough Red-Bull and a long weekend a pile of cash and an ongoing royalty and the playbook could ship with a file system until RIM can get it's **** together to actually release a native version.
    What a great idea!

We could also get a decent ePub book reader and who knows what other "missing" apps this way. Great way to leverage a huge pool of programmers who are trying to make a buck in the current circumstances (and are not getting the credit they so richly deserve).
    domenic_lo_russo likes this.
    07-03-11 10:23 AM
    Let me review your review of my "review".

"Clear winner: File Browser by Aftab. All the other apps are lame comparing to this one. The price is good, and it allows you to access your blackberry phone SD card. As a geek, I was happy to be able to get a look at the whole QNX file system (YAY). It also has amazing reviews! Can't go wrong with this app.
    I am going to uninstall all the other crappy file managers and only use File Browser. Post any questions you guys have here."

If you don't mind, I am going to review your review.

First, let me say that I downloaded File Browser specifically because it advertised FTP capability. I was hoping to use this feature in my workflow and was disappointed when I couldn't get it to work. The app connected to my FTP server but could not access the root folder of the data store. Rather than leaving a scathing review, I took the developer's advice and took screen shots of the app and also the of the errors displayed by my FTP server. I did this two weeks ago. I am still waiting for patch so that I can use the app in my daily work.
    So you contacted the developer, they realized the error, said they will fix it and but that didn't happen overnight??? seriously? why didn't this make the news!.

Being a developer myself, I very seldom leave a review (either positive or negative) because I do not feel qualified to do so. I simply do not have the time to test every advertised feature and write a proper review for every app that I install. I have never installed an app that didn't have some sort of "fatal" problem. Despite the fact that File Browser was completely useless TO ME, I didn't think it would be fair to tell others to uninstall the app, thereby potentially depriving the developer of his livelihood.
    I understand your reasoning here and it is good that you have contacted the dev.

On this basis, I give your review a failing grade. Here are my reasons:
    1. "Lots of updates" is not necessarily a good reason to buy an app
    They are quick with bug fixes and features - from my past experience with this app. I like that - perhaps you may not but again, i was only stating my opinions. I also mentioned that my friend found it annoying as some people might.

if you are looking for a file browser and others have crappy reviews, this can be a reason to buy this particular app. Again, this is in context of file browsers - its important to make this distinction.

3. Being "happy to be able to get a look at the whole QNX file system (YAY)" is not necessarily a good reason to buy an app
    sure it is, for geeks - like me, that might be a selling point. Definitely gave it an edge over the other file browsers out there at the time. iDroid agrees with me on this point. I am sure there are geeks out there - I saw a post I think it was here or on the BB forums about how someone found the QNX file system interesting based on what they saw by using File Browser.

4. Your review is based on another anonymous review that, in your own words is only "somewhat accurate"
    Nope, I purchased this app (File Browser) myself and my 'review' was based on real life experience. Everything I said about File Browser was from personal experience. Same goes for AIR Browser that I mentioned in my post. People can be the judge of what app they decide to purchase based on iDroids review.

5. iDroid's post begins as follows: "I was very disappointed that RIM didnt include a file browser with the PlayBook so I went out and purchased all the third party file browsers from App World. Here is a summary:" He then proceeds to trash those developers' attempts to quickly rectify the situation. Blaming developers for not being able to rush perfect solutions to market is a bit absurd. The reviewer fails to point out that such software is bound to be poorly tested, buggy and unreliable.
    Seems iDroid was simply comparing and contrasting different apps that can be grouped in the same category - even within 'perfect' apps you will find differences in quality among apps and I believe this is what the intention was. Bottom line to me as a buyer is how good these apps are compared to each other, not how long they have been in the market. If one app clearly (or two) stands out to me and I see good reviews, then thats the app I will purchase.

6. Your review indirectly trashes an app that I do not own (My File Manager) but you have not done sufficient due diligence. Two questions come to mind: What version "crashes all other applications open at the time"? Has the developer fixed the problem?
    Dont think I ever mentioned "My File Manager" in my post - please re-read my post carefully before attacking me. If you have questions about iDroids review, please notify iDroid directly.

Overall, your review was a complete failure and not constructive at all. I NEVER told others to uninstall other apps like you claimed - I simply asked if I could get a refund.

I hope that clarified some of your concerns. Do let me know if you have any questions about my post. I am afraid I won't be able to answer specific questions about iDroids post.
    Last edited by bbaddict1984; 07-03-11 at 11:17 AM.
    DennuCrane likes this.
    07-03-11 11:09 AM
    @ bbaddict1984

--------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzzStarField

Posted by bbaddict1984
    if you are looking for a file browser and others have crappy reviews, this can be a reason to buy this particular app. Again, this is in context of file browsers - its important to make this distinction.
    ---------------------------------

As of yesterday, I could find 9 file managers listed inn app world. None had an average rating of less than 4 stars. For the mathematically challenged, this means that every one of the apps have received a preponderance of "amazing ratings".

File Expert 5 stars based on one review
    File Explorer 4 stars (4 reviews)
    My File Manager 4.5 stars (39 reviews)
    File Browser 4.5 stars (85 reviews)
    File Commander 4 stars (25 reviews)
    File Manager 4 stars (25 reviews)
    Arrangit File Manager 4 stars (2 reviews)
    Files and Folders 4.5 stars (8 reviews)
    Air Browser 4 stars (277 reviews)

Even if I accept your notion that you do not have to take responsibility for posting a link to iDroid's review, you have some explaining to do. You are absolutely correct - you did not mention "My File Manager" in your post. But neither did you mention the names of the 3 apps that are so "crappy" that you deserve a refund. You did, however, include a link to iDroid's review which lists some supposedly "crappy" apps. The one called "My File Manager" received special negative attention from iDroid and yet has the highest average rating of 4.5 stars in app world. I read all 39 reviews and could not find a single reference to the app crashing the system. Nor did I find any other evidence that this was a "crappy" app that was not worth downloading.

It's a bit rich for you to claim that, by posting the link, you did not intend to influence my opinion about My File Manager. If you did not want to influence my opinion, then why did you post the link?

I stand by my observation that an app having "amazing reviews" in App World is not necessarily a good indicator for determining if the app is the right choice for my particular needs. If an app is newly released (and has few reviews) one should not make any assumptions at all about its suitability to perform a given task. I do not think that even the best programmer can get it right 100% of the time. In the rush to be first, they are going to screw up from time-to-time. From where, I sit each of the listed browsers has some strengths and also some weaknesses. None of them can be classified as crappy or worthless.

As you rightly point out, this discussion should be in the context of file browsers. Ordinary consumers need all the help they can make an informed decision. They come to forums like this hoping to get some help in deciding what to buy. They count on "geeks" like you to provide them with thoughtful and balanced information. Regretfully, what they got instead was a poor excuse for a review.

Predictably, the "review" provoked a raft of rants about the lousy state of software in general, diatribes about evil developers who are out to steal from the gullible consumer and complaints about the massive failure of RIM to do anything about the problems. How is this discussion, in any way, helping the consumer make a decision? Again, this is in context of file browsers - its important to make this distinction. I think you could have done better.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 07-04-11 at 10:58 AM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-04-11 07:22 AM
    The only pathetic thing is the standard of today's industry where any independent dev can shovel out shi*ware and get away with it due to digital distribution. Back in the day there was a thing called accountability. Today, you buy an app and if you're displeased you're out of luck.

If a client is displeased with my work, I'll get sued. If an app dev makes an app that does practically nothing or does not function, they make a buck off every sucker they catch.

Best example... flash light apps. They do exactly nothing. You just wasted your money.

A file browser? Should've been day 1 native app. You shouldn't be allowed to profit off this. I'm not saying no one should develop file browsers or charge for it (or make a profit). Just give me something more than what 80% of the current apps "give".

Anyway, any devs that choose to put work into apps should take pride in their work by releasing great products that people can get excited about. The focus nowadays is on a 99 cent pile of junk. I feel like I'm lost in the past when I ask for more out of my software than minimal functionality.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 07-04-11 at 12:54 PM.
    07-04-11 12:52 PM
    I don't see why developers cant profit by developing apps that some people think RIM should have included. Why should a programmer be required to create a file manager app for free? its not their fault RIM didn't do their job.
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-04-11 12:55 PM
    I don't see why developers cant profit by developing apps that some people think RIM should have included. Why should a programmer be required to create a file manager app for free? its not their fault RIM didn't do their job.
    I meant that they should not be allowed to profit from developing an app that is only basic functionality + a skin. Basically, the PB can already do these things. The dev is not adding any value really, hence there shouldn't be a cost.

Anyway, the free market, that is the market of choice not a market lacking regulation, will decide the fate of these $1 apps that give nothing.

Down with cr@pware
    07-04-11 01:35 PM
    The only pathetic thing is the standard of today's industry where any independent dev can shovel out shi*ware and get away with it due to digital distribution. Back in the day there was a thing called accountability. Today, you buy an app and if you're displeased you're out of luck.
    I think that you are correct in far too many cases. But there is another side to the coin. My app is rated at five stars and is the highest selling app in its category. It did quite well when it was featured in the app world carousel but the fun has ended. I dared to believe that it could make a buck or two. Guess how many it sold today - exactly 6. I had a free no-frills version that had over 200 downloads in that period.

It took me at least 4 months to develop this extremely complex app and people will not pay a single dollar for it. Instead all I hear about is the low quality of the apps available for the playbook. I feel a little like a chump for making the effort of learning a new programming language and developing a great app for a non-existent device. That's right, we didn't get our "free" PlayBook until 3 weeks after launch;. You shouldn't wonder why so many PlayBook didn't work at launch -and it would be nice if you would acknowledge the tremendous improvement in a very short time.

You can't make a living this way despite what you may have heard. If you don't catch the wave of frenzy over a ridiculous fart app, you lose - period.

"In this digital age", consumers' expectations are extremely high and their willingness to pay a decent price for quality work is pathetically low. But they are much more willing to buy the fart app that someone threw together. Who can blame a developer from lowering his standards and taking advantage of this very real consumer demand?

This is why I get so dam*ned mad at people like the creator of this thread. They give horrible unfair "reviews" to developers who are not only trying their best to fill legitimate consumers' needs, they are actually putting out a very good product in the process.

As I said in my reply to bbaddict1984, this thread is not about all the lousy programers out there, it is about the specific programmers who took on the challenge of filling a void that RIM left wide open. He wants refunds for the perfectly good apps that he downloaded. Do you honestly think that he would stop writing his slanderous "reviews" if he did happen to get those refunds? Not a chance.

So instead of crabbing about lousy software, you should consider ignoring all the sh*t out there and reward the guys who are creating those wonderful complex file browsers that you all want and need. Shun the crapplications and buy the useful apps. It's as easy as that.

And stop your complaining!
    07-04-11 08:08 PM
    I think most people including myself appreciate the work developers do, its just frustrating to pay any price for any app only to find out its crap after purchase. Its hard for me to believe a particular developer didnt know some of these apps were crap before submitting to app world so I dont feel bad about bashing THOSE developers. All this would be solved if all platforms...BB, Android, iOS etc would not let an app in the market without a free trial, problem solved & SOME developers would shy away from submitting crap apps
    07-04-11 08:38 PM
    I think most people including myself appreciate the work developers do, its just frustrating to pay any price for any app only to find out its crap after purchase. Its hard for me to believe a particular developer didnt know some of these apps were crap before submitting to app world so I dont feel bad about bashing THOSE developers. All this would be solved if all platforms...BB, Android, iOS etc would not let an app in the market without a free trial, problem solved & SOME developers would shy away from submitting crap apps
    One of the biggest problems in digital app stores is the inability for consumers and developers to interact with each other in sensible ways. I would prefer to be able to discuss the matter with the purchaser and resolve the problem. Sometimes it would make sense to give a refund if that would make the problem go away. But there is no way right now for me to do that.

Let me relate a specific situation. My app does some fancy math and puts stars on the screen. On person who downloaded my free app thought that the big dipper was flipped around and promptly wrote a 1/2 star review that essentially said that my app was complete crap. The fact is that the customer just didn't interpret the star patterns correctly.

This customer has caused two problems (which would be magnified exponentially if this was a free trial type of app);
    1. the app now has a poor rating - my sales potential is greatly reduced
    2, the buyer thinks he got ripped off when a simple explanation would have cleared up the problem.

This type of thing happens all the time. The programmer may make a simple change and fails to test one of the hundreds of code paths in the program. He discovers the problem and figures out a workaround. But the customer has written his bad review and posted his diatribe in crackberry forums. Instead of being able to apply the workaround and use an otherwise fine program, we're all involved in a thread like this one.

The problem is not that there are no free trials, but rather that there can be no meaningful communication between consumer and developer.

It should be much easier for a dissatisfied customer to ask for support. The review system has to be fixed. Reviews should be reviews. Feature requests should be handled in other ways.

There should be a suggestion or complaint button that would encourage and simplify actual communication between the parties.

There also has to be major changes to the whole approval process. Apps that simply don't function at all should not be posted in app world. I'm talking about obvious mechanical stuff here - some basic minimum standards.. If the keyboard doesn't pop up when it should why should consumers even be able to download it? If a programmer discovers a problem with a new release they should be able to revert back to the old version. Currently they can't do this. If a programmer wants to send a message to all users to address a specific problem, they should be able to do that. Currently they can't.

The ultimate fix will require RIM make some changes to App World. And I don't think this will ever be a priority because it would be costly. And consumers,who would be the main beneficiaries of positive action, are not in the mood to pay more for apps.

So I suggest that we all try to be nice to each other and try to understand the other's point of view. Yeah, right...
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-04-11 10:11 PM
    "In this digital age", consumers' expectations are extremely high and their willingness to pay a decent price for quality work is pathetically low. ...
    I completely understand your anger! Software for PCs that is equivalent to apps is at least $19.95. Id be willing to pay that much for the critical apps that make my Playbook useful. (File manager, dropbox, epub reader). But with PC software you can try before you buy so you know EXACTLY what you are paying for.
    07-05-11 07:14 AM
    I completely understand your anger! Software for PCs that is equivalent to apps is at least $19.95. Id be willing to pay that much for the critical apps that make my Playbook useful. (File manager, dropbox, epub reader). But with PC software you can try before you buy so you know EXACTLY what you are paying for.
    So sorry... I didn't mean to sound angry.

There are two things that I wanted to communicate as a public service:
    1. The so-called reviewer who started this thread wants a refund for one of the apps that you listed. This is completely out of line in my view.
    2. I do allow people to try before they buy and the results are not encouraging. Literally thousands have downloaded the free/demo version and are getting a lot of pleasure from the experience. But nobody is buying the full version. As a result, I am going to have to withdraw the free version so that I am not competing with myself. In addition, I get lots of email asking me if I'm going to deverlop versions for other BB devices. I'm going to do it because I love programming and I love astronomy. But this experience has taught me a valuable lesson, and I no longer believe that I will earn a living in this racket.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 07-05-11 at 08:17 AM.
    07-05-11 08:15 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD